GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while performance was outstanding pulling a trailer this Kumho ain't got enough rubber on the sides to last any longer than a MC in the twistys...somewhere around 8000 miles on this one....maybe 5000 pulling a camper and 3000 plus twisty riding....for reference i get about 4500 miles out of an E3, just twisty riding....always switch to the CT when towing.....point is if you want to run a CT in the canyons it may not really be any advantage far as longetivity...just got my first set of stones and not running E3 anymore, after 95000 miles of using them, the last two rears each barely made 4500-5000 miles and then rubber was flying off in big patches...like 3x4 inch pieces....still nothing tops a CT for towing

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
95 thousand miles on a tire? I want that tire!:coffee1:
Sorry could not help myself

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
95,000 miles?? Is that ALL? Man you better check the warranty. Those rf's otter get you alot more than that. My GYTT is just losing the hair at 95,000. ;)

You must really enjoy those twisties. Then I saw your addy-CO. Yup lotsa twisties there for sure. We were in Royal Gorge last year after a week in Sturgis BEFORE the crazies came to town.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Appointment needed

We must ride together someday !!:thumbup: That's all I am saying :cool:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Those Colorado roads must be made of sandpaper. :eek:4: I assume by twistys you mean long sweeping curves. I don't remember seeing any tight curving roads there like we have in the SE. I would also assume that long sweepers, with a trailer/camper would wear a tire fast.

I am not easy on tries either, but I get a little more than that and toss them before they have cords showing.

Kudos for recognizing the benefits of a RF touring tire...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Oh we have them Paul, Colorado too.;) I can take you to the southern end of 191 in Arizona that has 11 miles of 10mph speed limit. that should give you some idea of the turns. However, our fires out here are probably taking a large toll on the beauty of that road.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
while performance was outstanding pulling a trailer this Kumho ain't got enough rubber on the sides to last any longer than a MC in the twistys...somewhere around 8000 miles on this one....maybe 5000 pulling a camper and 3000 plus twisty riding....for reference i get about 4500 miles out of an E3, just twisty riding....always switch to the CT when towing.....point is if you want to run a CT in the canyons it may not really be any advantage far as longetivity...just got my first set of stones and not running E3 anymore, after 95000 miles of using them, the last two rears each barely made 4500-5000 miles and then rubber was flying off in big patches... like 3x4 inch pieces....still nothing tops a CT for towing
Uh, yeah there is an advantage to CT, even in the twisties... It may not be longevity, but have you lost a single patch of rubber from any CT?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Florida roads, a few trips to the mountains and aggressive starts, this is about an 11,000 mile tire for me. My looked the same but my wear bars were flush.

BG

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Michelin tire does a lot better in the twisties as far as wear on the sides. All i could out of the of the Kumhos was 14000 miles. I am at around 17000 on my mich and still a lot of tread on sides.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CT

95,000 miles on them.....meaning E3s in general not a particular set....bout three sets a year.....the Kumho never let loose any patches of rubber like my E3s....I want to try a different CT this year although the Kumho did work very well.....to me a typical canyon road around here is twisty enough, miles of peg draggin curves...don't have to be hairpins...i ride up some combination of Hy 7 out of Lyons, LeftHand Canyon thru Ward, Boulder Canyon, Coal Creek Canyon and Peak to Peak just about every day since I have a shop up in the mtns.....I want to try a Dunlop CT ....what other CT has good rubber on the sides?...I didn't expect the Kumho to be down to the cord so soon...bty i have full traxxion so i can't blame it on worn suspension.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Michelin tire does a lot better in the twisties as far as wear on the sides. All i could out of the of the Kumhos was 14000 miles. I am at around 17000 on my mich and still a lot of tread on sides.
Does the Michelin ride as good as the Kumho or the Pirelli in the curves?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Those Colorado roads must be made of sandpaper. :eek:4: I assume by twistys you mean long sweeping curves. I don't remember seeing any tight curving roads there like we have in the SE. I would also assume that long sweepers, with a trailer/camper would wear a tire fast.

I am not easy on tries either, but I get a little more than that and toss them before they have cords showing.

Kudos for recognizing the benefits of a RF touring tire...:thumbup:
I just returned from a nice loop around Colorado and trust me, There be twistys there.
I need new bottoms on my boots from rubbing all the outside bottoms off. LOL... I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so it tends to eat boots when I drag pegs.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I just returned from a nice loop around Colorado and trust me, There be twistys there.
I need new bottoms on my boots from rubbing all the outside bottoms off. LOL... I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so it tends to eat boots when I drag pegs.

Can you get those boots in a run-flat version?:lol:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Can you get those boots in a run-flat version?:lol:
I can sure try! lol. But you know the naysayers! they'll be like, You can't walk in those boots, you'll crash and die a firy death!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Twisties in Colorado..? Wolf creek pass, silverton, orey etc.. Then throw in a 45 degree downhill grade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts