GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I mount my rear wheel onto the bike I use the laydown method, but I have always had a very hard time getting the CT into the wheel well.
The plastic of the innerfender always contacts the left side of the tire and even with no air and soap it was akways very hard to get the tire pushed up there.
Then today :idea::idea::idea:
while pushing the tire with my knee I put a long bladed flat screwdriver in between the squarish part of the of the left inner fender ( the part that on my bike always contacts the tire) and pried the inner fender very slightly back and the wheel just poped right in.
Nothing to it!!:thumbup:
Hope that this little tidbit helps some of you.
Paul
BTW I want to make up a steering head nut adjusting tool.
Someone showed the dim. for the slots not log ago.
Searched but could not find it .
Anyone know this
Thanks

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
steering head bearing tool

Just buy one from "cycledude" on this forum, great tool, only 39. If not that, just borrow one from a member here. You don't use them very often.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
When I mount my rear wheel onto the bike I use the laydown method, but I have always had a very hard time getting the CT into the wheel well.
The plastic of the innerfender always contacts the left side of the tire and even with no air and soap it was akways very hard to get the tire pushed up there.
while pushing the tire with my knee I put a long bladed flat screwdriver in between the squarish part of the of the left inner fender ( the part that on my bike always contacts the tire) and pried the inner fender very slightly back and the wheel just poped right in.
Paul
Anyone know this
Thanks

Yep, it works! We used the exact same method putting the pirelli on Fuse's bike yesterday. Thanks for posting the tip:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Murgie

gary4565
I just like to make my own stuff, if possible

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Paul
Anyone know this
Thanks
SEE! Make fun of my post-hole digger method now!

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Anyone know this
Thanks
I bought a 34mm deep well socket for $3 and made my own. Don't look as purty as Murgies but works well!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Paul
Anyone know this
Thanks
I guess my bad back makes me do things different from the easy way. I loosened the tire nuts, put my bike on the center stand, took the back fender off, moved the relay box to the left side, removed the old tire, had the new 195/55 mounted, sprayed a little silicone on the left wheel well and rolled the tire into position. I grasped the trunk rack with both hands, placed my foot on the tire and pushed...popped in with very, very little pressure! Put the relay box back and put the fender back on. Took 15 minutes tire off, tire on..........
Hardest part was getting the wheel nuts on....

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
+1 on "Wing Tipping" to change the rear wheel and tire. When I changed my Kumho RF a couple days ago, I lowered the pressure in the tire to make it easier to slip in.

Tim in Burien, WA

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
+1 on "Wing Tipping" to change the rear wheel and tire. When I changed my Kumho RF a couple days ago, I lowered the pressure in the tire to make it easier to slip in.

Tim in Burien, WA
You wing tippers, did you practice on cows when you were in your teens?:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wing tippers, did you practice on cows when you were in your teens?:lol::lol::lol:
Yes I am a confirmed "Wing Tipper"
Around here there is an appropriate saying;
Strong like bull...
Smart like tractor;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts