GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw GoldwingrGreg's post on Dunlop and wondered why MT companies don't actually do a comparison between CTs and MTs to show the benefits of using a MT on our touring bikes. I would think there would be any number of short term and long term tests that could be done to show the difference between the types of tires in practice. I also cannot figure out why WingWorld, Rider magazine or somebody does not do real study. Frankly the only reason I can think of is the work has been done and the results are not favorable to the MT manufacturers. OTOH, there may be so few CT riders that the tire manufacturers don't really care.

I started to post in Greg's thread and figured it would either be deleted or moved.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,427 Posts
This is just an opinion and nothing more. I think that we live in a culture that has so much ligation going on that people are somewhat afraid to step out of the tried and true norm. Their reward could be a lawsuit which would cost lots of money and put funds in the pockets of few lawyers.

Once again, that just an opinion. But I would love to be proven wrong!!!

·
Administrator
3,933 Posts
I saw GoldwingrGreg's post on Dunlop and wondered why MT companies don't actually do a comparison between CTs and MTs to show the benefits of using a MT on our touring bikes. I would think there would be any number of short term and long term tests that could be done to show the difference between the types of tires in practice. I also cannot figure out why WingWorld, Rider magazine or somebody does not do real study. Frankly the only reason I can think of is the work has been done and the results are not favorable to the MT manufacturers. OTOH, there may be so few CT riders that the tire manufacturers don't really care.

I started to post in Greg's thread and figured it would either be deleted or moved.
Why would you think that ?
"I started to post in Greg's thread and figured it would either be deleted or moved."

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Monk that is a very good point. However, I have wondered about the opposite being true. Why aren't MT companies being sued for their products causing accidents?

I also understand your point in the case of third party testers. They would have to be really careful in how they presented their findings or they could be open to litigation. Also, I'm sure that MT companies would jump on the bandwagon blaming the reviewer if any such case were filed. After all, there is a lot more money to be made selling a $250 tire that lasts for 10,000 miles than a $125 tire that lasts for 15,000 miles.

With all considered, I would think that MT companies would be eager to publish a report with statistical data showing how their tires were better than CTs in real world situations. The reluctance to publish the information makes me think that the MT companies cannot make their cast against CTs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Such a comparison would require the testing body to ignore the Code of Federal Regulations Part 49 item 571 that details the types of rims that various motor vehicles sold as new in the USA are equipped with and the tire type the manufacturers are required to use on such rims. No tire manufacturer is going to recommend any tire other than a MT to be mounted on a MC rim. The potential liability stops them.

If an individual chooses to mix tires and rims that is his business and his risk.

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
@Monk that is a very good point. However, I have wondered about the opposite being true. Why aren't MT companies being sued for their products causing accidents?

I also understand your point in the case of third party testers. They would have to be really careful in how they presented their findings or they could be open to litigation. Also, I'm sure that MT companies would jump on the bandwagon blaming the reviewer if any such case were filed. After all, there is a lot more money to be made selling a $250 tire that lasts for 10,000 miles than a $125 tire that lasts for 15,000 miles.

With all considered, I would think that MT companies would be eager to publish a report with statistical data showing how their tires were better than CTs in real world situations. The reluctance to publish the information makes me think that the MT companies cannot make their cast against CTs.
GOOGLE DUNFLOP MC TIRES ON FAILURES AND LAWSUITS !!! THINK THATS MAIN REASON THEY CAME OUT WITH THE 4 'S

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
GOOGLE DUNFLOP MC TIRES ON FAILURES AND LAWSUITS !!! THINK THATS MAIN REASON THEY CAME OUT WITH THE 4 'S
WE "ALL" KNOW WONKY TIRES ARENT SAFE !!! :censored::D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If MC tire manufacturers would make a better rear tire for a reasonable price, we probably wouldn’t have these conversations.
I wonder why they don’t? Is it a money thing? Is it a scam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
If MC tire manufacturers would make a better rear tire for a reasonable price, we probably wouldn’t have these conversations.
I wonder why they don’t? Is it a money thing? Is it a scam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wonder if the market for mc tires is not strong enough and that's what makes mc tires more expensive. Considering the number of brands of car tires, only a relatively few of those manufacturers have ventured into the mc tire business. If there was money to be made, they would all be producing mc tires. Try to buy a tire for a CanAm Spyder and see how few tires are available. How many other motorcycles besides the Goldwing can actually utilize a car tire? Goldwing owners just happen to be in an almost unique position where a certain car tires will actually fit, ride, and last well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts