GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...Still in Nova Scotia...with 9000 miles on the rear tire.....going to make it back to Wisconsin over the next 3 days thus will need new tires...Thinking about going to the dark side....

I have a 2010 GL1800 with full monty traxxion system...

Question #1: What type of CT tires are folks using....I know of the Kumo RF and the Dunlap Wintersports (not sure on actual size and model yet)...but what others exist that folks have liked...?

Question #2: What is the standard tire pressure on the CT's?

Question #3: Will the stock TPMS transmitter / system work with the CT's...any adjustments required of the TPMS system to support the CT's?

Question #4: If on the road...if one needs to replace the CT...will most car tire changers / mounting equipment handle the motorcycle rims and TPMS system?

Thanks in advance...Starting my research....

Safe Rides..

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
  1. The size sure to fit is a 195/55 16. That is almost identical dimensionally to the OEM tire. Pirelli [email protected] RF is another popular RF.
  2. For an RF, 32psi is a good STARTING point. Some like less, others more. But 32 gets you in the ballpark for you to make adjustments to your preference.
  3. The OEM TPMS will work with any tire. Problem is that it will give you a "low Pressure" indication if the PSI is lower than 36psi on the rear. Running 32-34 will likely get you above 36 once the tire warms up but until then, you'll get a "low pressure" light. The OEM TPMS can be disabled. I have a thread in the "how to" section if you're interested.
  4. The car places shouldn't have any issue with mounting the tire. They may not be able to balance it depending on the type of equipment they have.

Just let them know about the TPMS and to keep ALL TOOLS 5" away from either side of the valve stem and the TPMS will be fine.
Ok...Still in Nova Scotia...with 9000 miles on the rear tire.....going to make it back to Wisconsin over the next 3 days thus will need new tires...Thinking about going to the dark side....

I have a 2010 GL1800 with full monty traxxion system...

Question #1: What type of CT tires are folks using....I know of the Kumo RF and the Dunlap Wintersports (not sure on actual size and model yet)...but what others exist that folks have liked...?

Question #2: What is the standard tire pressure on the CT's?

Question #3: Will the stock TPMS transmitter / system work with the CT's...any adjustments required of the TPMS system to support the CT's?

Question #4: If on the road...if one needs to replace the CT...will most car tire changers / mounting equipment handle the motorcycle rims and TPMS system?

Thanks in advance...Starting my research....

Safe Rides..

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I run a Sunny SN3830 non run flat, 195 55 16. There is no really "set" psi, everyone is different in what they like. I run 40-41psi for normal riding and bump it up if I'm going to play hard. If you run a run flat, I hear there is a low pressure problem until the tire heats up!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Don't know what to recommend to you, but I run a Kumho 195/55/16 RF at 32 PSI.
Seems to ride very good, even better than a MT.
I have 2000 miles on mine now, don't see myself ever going back to a MT.

Yes on the tire changer, when changing a rear Goldwing tire, I take the motorcycle wheel adapters off and use the same jaws as would be used for car/truck tires.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
lab rider swing by my house and I can help you out :nojoke: I am on a roll here making darksiders

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
lab rider swing by my house and I can help you out :nojoke: I am on a roll here making darksiders
Tell Rail you want a couple of cookies and a glass of milk first!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm on my second Kumho and love it. I consider that it saved my butt on one ride. Wife and I were 2 up with trailer in tow, and took on a 1/4 X 3" lag bolt, and it let me stay in control. Felt like there was something wrong with the trailer, instead of the bike tire being flat. I plugged it and it stayed up to get us 1500 miles home.

I think I've seen where the rear TPMS can be reprogrammed, but you almost need an "insider" at a Honda shop before they'll do it. Has to be done with a computer plugged into the bike.

There a getting to be a few motorcycle shops that will mount a CT, but some will make you sign a waver. Make a few calls. That way it can be balanced. I still run 3 oz. of Dyna beads even after it's balanced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts