GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first big ride two up since converting to the DS. I have a Kumo RF and I am interested in the tire pressure to run two up.
Anyone or everyone know this?
Thanks for all.
Ray

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I like 34 all round. YMMV as much as the opinions here. LOL
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I would say 30 psi especially if you are doing a lot of slab miles. If you notice it a little soft/wiggly in the twisites, kick it up to 32-34. If you do a lot of slab at the higher pressures it will wear out prematurely in the center.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Assuming you weigh about 200 I would run your tire at 30PSI. If your co-rider weighs in the neighborhood of 150 then I would run 36PSI two-up. Try it and see what you think. If you are also pulling a trailer I would recommend only a 1 or 2 PSI increase in inflation for the trailer.
Hope this helps.
MM

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I only increase my tire PSI when I fully load up the bike with travel gear. We both weigh in less than 150lbs with all of our riding gear on so 150 to 300 I haven't seen any need for additional PSI.

Now when I threw in an additional 115lbs of gear (44 lbs haning off my hitch rack which is quite a bit aft of the rear axle) not only did I increase my rear PSI by 2 lbs (from 32 to 34), I also had to drop the preload on my front forks to 5.5 turns (down from 10) to flatten out the front/rear sag and stabilize the front at speeds over 90mph.

At 34psi I saw a max pressure increase to 44psi (30%) while running at interstate speeds. Unfortunately, I didn't make a run at 32psi to see what change the additional 2psi made in pressure gain so I'm not sure what advantage (if any) was gained by bumping up the pressure.

Running 1 or 2 up without any additional gear at 32psi, I normally only see about a 6-8lbs increase (20-25%) when running at interstate speeds in temps around 80F. So I was running at a bit higher pressure increase percentage than usual even with a 2lbs increase and fully loaded for travel.

This is my first big ride two up since converting to the DS. I have a Kumo RF and I am interested in the tire pressure to run two up.
Anyone or everyone know this?
Thanks for all.
Ray

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would say 30 psi especially if you are doing a lot of slab miles. If you notice it a little soft/wiggly in the twisites, kick it up to 32-34. If you do a lot of slab at the higher pressures it will wear out prematurely in the center.
:agree: I run 30 to 32--1 up--2 up--pulling a trailer 2 up and got even wear on my Kumho and Pirelli ROF's. I'm no light weight either at 6'1 and 280 and momma weighs half that.:oops: Lots of good info here from folks that have been running a BMT a lot longer than I have! Their info works for me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
That's what I think too!:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts