GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been reading your posts for a good while now and have decided to go to the Darkside.

The questions I have are,

I have a 2008 1800, the rear is a 180-60-r16 m/c 74H

The front tire is a 130-70-r18 m/c 63H

What size of CT's should I use?
Will these wheels accept CT's?
Which brands would you recommened

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I would recommend either a 175-60-16 or a 195-55-16. The 195 size is available in a lot of brands. The 175 is rather limited.

Both work very well. Here are what I feel the differences are:

The 195-55 will:

Fit fine after you convince it with a little technique and soap.

It will feel more stable at slow speed.

It will cost less than oe tire.

It will follow the ruts and uneven road surfaces more.

The 175-60 will:

Go in the fender well easier than the oe tire.

Feel more stable at slow speed than oe tire, but less than 195-55.

Will cost about the same as oe tire.

Doesn't follow ruts and uneven road surfaces as bad.

This forum has a lot of info, just read up or PM someone with experience and have them answer your questions.

On the front, no one is running a car tire. What they're using is a Bias-ply rear tire from a smaller bike that is the same size as the oe tire.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
This is one of those questions (like which oil, GPS, wax, etc to use) that a lot of folks (me included) ask at one time or another. I tackled it like everything else that I don't know a lot about. I read and researched and read some more and asked lots of questions. In the end, it has to be your decision. A CT is different than a OEM MT, and each CT has it's own little quirks. Honda designed the Wing for a certain tire and any choices other than those recommended is a decision left up to the owner. As far as a CT, I went with the Kumho 195/55/16 RF and now have about 1600 miles on it. So far, I LIKE it! Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to the Darkside/Doubletime

Hi all,

Thank you for all the information and help. I ordered the Kumho 195/55 and the Perilli Sport Demon.

Will be changing the tires on the 8K mile service. Should be in 2 weeks.

Now I have to get the sticker. :)

Thanks again for all your info.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Welcome

Welcome darksider!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you for all the information and help. I ordered the Kumho 195/55 and the Perilli Sport Demon.

Will be changing the tires on the 8K mile service. Should be in 2 weeks.

Now I have to get the sticker. :)

Thanks again for all your info.
good choice! This is the combo I have on my 06 now. I got 29k out of the first Kumho and looking for the same out of this one. Sport Demon is a real good choice for the front. I really like the ride i get with this one. I had a Battlax on before and It cupped so bad at 18K it had to replace it with the Speed Demon. Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions you have on the tires.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am going to need tires real soon the duncraps are cupped so bad it is hard to ride in a straight line. I am having a real hard time spending 3 or 4 hundred bucks on a tire that barely makes it 10,000 miles. I am seriously considering a car tire but am concerned about how they handle mostly when leaning into curves. Also why is it no one is running a car tire on the front?
Do you have to get used to the car tire or is it not much difference.
OK I searched and found some answers. I was looking at the Bridgestone Potenza G019 it has a treadwear rating of 460 it isnt a runflat was wondering if anyone has tried this tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts