GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,
Due to many reasons, I'm thinking of purchasing a CT when it comes time to get a new rear tire. One, they are supposed to ride better, two, they are supposed to be cheaper, three, they're supposed to last a fairly long time. All are great points. I do have one question though. It appears Honda has no idea how to make a speedometer accurate, based on just about 99% of the people on this net reporting that theirs is off at least some percentage. And, it's been reported that a 70 MC series tire for the rear helps correct the accuracy of the speedo to almost perfect. So, if I were to get a 70 series CT for the rear,
#1, would it fit the rim?
#2, Would it fit into the frame, etc?
#3, Has anyone done this

Your experience and knowledge is appreciated here because I'd hate to buy something like this and find out that many of you have done something like this and it didn't work. Thanks for what ever you can help me with here.
Scott

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Remember, that number, 70 series or 60 series is a ratio, it is the percentage of the width.

So if your tire size is 180/60R16 That means the depth of the tire is 60 per cent of 180mm

If the tire size is 180/70R16, The depth will be larger resulting in less turns per mile.

It will correct the speedo very well..

I run a 195/65R16 car tire on my bike, Speedo is right on !! But it's hard to find that size and it will touch the swing arm a bit.

Most guys run a 205/55R16 and the speedo is off about the same as a OEM tire !!

Hope this helps a bit..

JMHO :lol:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Scott, The 195/55/16 Runflat is a good starting point.

No one tire has all the features that we want.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'm also running the 195/65R/16 tire. I personally think it handles much better then the 195/55/16 tires.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KA7W,
Thanks for the explanation of the numbering system. It's only been explained to me about a thousand times but with this brain, it seems to just leak out. Maybe I need some slime. Anyway, Thanks to all for the answers and what works. I'm not really that anal about things but, I'd sure like to correct that speedo. It just bugs the p... out of me that it wasn't correct from the factory. Jesus, how hard can that be?
Anyway I'll take into consideration all your suggestions when it comes time to buy one. We've got 8500 miles on our '02 at this time so, I don't know just how long it's going to last but I want to be ready with a decision already made. Thanks again.
Scott

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
KA7W,
Thanks for the explanation of the numbering system. It's only been explained to me about a thousand times but with this brain, it seems to just leak out. Maybe I need some slime. Anyway, Thanks to all for the answers and what works. I'm not really that anal about things but, I'd sure like to correct that speedo. It just bugs the p... out of me that it wasn't correct from the factory. Jesus, how hard can that be?
Anyway I'll take into consideration all your suggestions when it comes time to buy one. We've got 8500 miles on our '02 at this time so, I don't know just how long it's going to last but I want to be ready with a decision already made. Thanks again.
Scott
You would think that they could have done better on the speedo calibration. At least get it within 2 MPH at freeway cruising speeds.

I am getting a Dakota Digital speedo calibrator installed at my next big service. It's a plug and play kind of device if you want to do it yourself.

Calibration will be done with my GPS and then I will have an accurate speedo.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My c/t cut the oem inaccuracy in half, Kumho 195/55/16 (if i remember right). Added two extention wires on my Dakota digital, so i can hold it in my hand and push the buttons to setup. 68 mph most precise speed to set. (relates to angle/dangle of the earth thing and satilite spin) 40 mph was tough to set with cruise slight drift and GPS delay.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for all the return info guys. I agree, I've said this a few times before and I'll say it again now, Honda and their engineers, did such a magnificent job on the 1800, it just amazes me that they're so far off on the speedo accuracy and the rough suspension stuff. Two points that at least I think should be dead on as far as quality is concerned. Oh well, I'll correct them to the best of my ability and ride this glorious bike for a zillion miles. Thanks again guys.
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts