GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set me straight here - are you guys running car tires on these trikes?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
If you are speaking of the Michelin Pilot Activ 130 70H 18 rear tire mounted on the front wheel with reverse rotation...No, this a bias motorcycle tire normally used on the rear of some bikes. The are recommended by Motor Trike and used by many of us...they work great and give good mileage...

If you will look closely at my front tire, you will see the footprint it has picked up from the dust at Luckenbach, TX. This is with 41# of air in the front.

There are a number of posts on this earlier on...

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear tires on all trikes are automobile tires. Front tire should be a bias ply motorcycle tire of similar size to the usual front tire for the bike.

The Michelin Pilot Activ is a good choice.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Oh, I misread your comment. As IB says, the rear tires are auto tires. Mine are 235 70R 15's...Goodrich...doubt if I will ever wear them out. Run 24# in the rear...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George Lewis said:
.doubt if I will ever wear them out. Run 24# in the rear...
Aint that the truth, I wish mine would do something, so I can replace them with a tire thats better at water removal, like aqua-treds or the like.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
cj wrote
Ain't that the truth, I wish mine would do something, so I can replace them with a tire thats better at water removal, like aqua-treds or the like.

I wonder just how many miles folks get out of rear tires on their trikes? Let us know...I have 12K on my Goodrich 235 70R 15s and they look new..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as I thought - here I have been running bias on the front for years and just recently a Car tire on the rear ( non-trike ) Acording to the "experts" this is the formula for disaster.
I'm glad to see you guys have a better understanding of how things really work.
Trikes rock and I see one in my future also.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
George Lewis said:
I wonder just how many miles folks get out of rear tires on their trikes? Let us know...I have 12K on my Goodrich 235 70R 15s and they look new..
In the beginning I was not thrilled at the wheels or tires on my CSC. So I said to my installer, "Oh well, when the tires wear out, I'll get new wheels too." He said, "Good luck on that, they'll probably last for years." At 13,000+ miles, they look like new. BTW - 24-26 psi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
storm said:
Just as I thought - here I have been running bias on the front for years and just recently a Car tire on the rear ( non-trike ) Acording to the "experts" this is the formula for disaster.
I'm glad to see you guys have a better understanding of how things really work.
Trikes rock and I see one in my future also.
Speaking only of the GL1800, I think you'll find that most on this board agree on a bias ply on the front for longevity, this is acceptable because the trike doesn't put the side forces on it that a two wheel trike would.

Automobile tires are used on the rear because there are two wheels and the forces on them are more car like than motorcycle.

We, or probably I should say I, do not advocate using either of the above on a two wheel motorcycle. The geometry and forces acting on its tires are completely different than a trike's.

Jay

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
cjmitch said:
Aint that the truth, I wish mine would do something, so I can replace them with a tire thats better at water removal, like aqua-treds or the like.
I had Aqua-Treds on my 99 when I hydro-planed and and wrecked. Needless to say I don't trust them anymore. The rear end of a trike just isn't heavy enough. I still had a lot of tread even though I had 50K on them. I went to a 15" low profile with new rims.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SMSgtE8 said:
cjmitch said:
I had Aqua-Treds on my 99 when I hydro-planed and and wrecked. Needless to say I don't trust them anymore. The rear end of a trike just isn't heavy enough. I still had a lot of tread even though I had 50K on them. I went to a 15" low profile with new rims.
Nice rims.... Looks like you got a CSC, they are WAAAAAAYYY more adaptable to aftermarket rims that Motortrike.
The rear offset is like that of a RWD old mustang, (5.5 inches) and there is VERY little that will fit the tire to the trike. Except of course, motortrike rims custom manufactured by centerline.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I replaced the rear tires on my Hannigan (Michelin) at 21K. They were into the wear bars. I mounted Goodyear Assurance, 1 size larger and now have about 20K on them, probably good for another 10K. I would replace them, no matter what the mileage, every 2 or 3 years. They get to hard for good traction.
Dwight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts