GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I looked at one of those today at the local dealer!! I kinda like it!!! Didn't see a price on the tag but the bike was a real eye catcher.:thumbup:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Yet another motorcycle model that Honda pulled out of its engineering $ss. No customer input on this one. For you guys that keep talking about how much it would cost Honda to update the Wing, with a known and built-in audience, how can you explain this? They continue to introduce new models with no built-in audience, yet ignore the Goldwing/touring community. How much does it cost to create a market?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Yet another motorcycle model that Honda pulled out of its engineering $ss. No customer input on this one. For you guys that keep talking about how much it would cost Honda to update the Wing, with a known and built-in audience, how can you explain this? They continue to introduce new models with no built-in audience, yet ignore the Goldwing/touring community. How much does it cost to create a market?
Really, I get that you feel ignored but it is not all about you.

How many people need a smaller bike than the wing, quite a few I would think?

Will this draw more people into a Honda that then might move up to a Wing?

I'm thinking this might be about new motorcycle riders.

This bike is really growing on me and if I was riding one up I think I might have to give this bike a serious look.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Really, I get that you feel ignored but it is not all about you.

How many people need a smaller bike than the wing, quite a few I would think?

Will this draw more people into a Honda that then might move up to a Wing?

I'm thinking this might be about new motorcycle riders.

This bike is really growing on me and if I was riding one up I think I might have to give this bike a serious look.
Good points, but why would someone want to move "up" to a bike with no Bluetooth and no traction control when the CTX1300 has those technologies?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Good points, but why would someone want to move "up" to a bike with no Bluetooth and no traction control when the CTX1300 has those technologies?
Believe it or not but some folks couldn't care less about those technologies. The new CTX is a very interesting bike and gets more attractive to me as more comes out about it. I am interested to see more reviews, performance figures and ...would like to test ride one if the opportunity is available.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Believe it or not but some folks couldn't care less about those technologies. The new CTX is a very interesting bike and gets more attractive to me as more comes out about it. I am interested to see more reviews, performance figures and ...would like to test ride one if the opportunity is available.
Agreed, but if you own a CTX1300, buy Bluetooth helmets, I don't thing you would be real excited about spending $25,000 on a Goldwing only to learn that you have to spend another $500+(J&M) to get your helmets to work with the Goldwing audio system.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Man! have you ridden a Wing!?!?!? They are awesome!
;)
Let me see if I can put it a different way. Let's say Honda comes out with a new GL2000 next year, the bike is better in every way than a GL1800, but the bikes does not have XM radio option, no ABS and no cruise control and it is $30,000. Would you give up your GL1800 for one?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Let me see if I can put it a different way. Let's say Honda comes out with a new GL2000 next year, the bike is better in every way than a GL1800, but the bikes does not have XM radio option, no ABS and no cruise control and it is $30,000. Would you give up your GL1800 for one?

Nope.... bring on the (new, not current) technology or don't even bother!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
That would be an oxymoron, your restrictions prevent it from being better in every way by a long shot. So the answer is a clear no but my answer would still be no if it included Bluetooth and Traction Control along with XM, ABS and Cruise Control.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
At the risk of trying to be conversational and angering the "Honda can do no wrong loyalists" here goes....Cruiserman makes some good points. I started to realize Honda marketing in the US was being driven by US Harley sales and styling years ago as Honda steadily increased their v-twin street and cruiser models at the expense of truly reengineering their touring bikes. This "new" "Honda-Glide" seems like an extension of something weird going on at Honda of America like: "if we can't get a large enough US market cut with the v-twins, we'll take some of the other old stuff and give them all a Harley-Glide look makeover" Honestly, I don't get it...or what serious experienced rider would buy or steer a less experienced rider to any non-Harley with a suspension from last decade built around a detuned 12 year old engine that weighs around 750 pounds fully fueled. Sorry guys, for me it's just another day and another reason I wish old man Honda was still making the decisions.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have a 2002 Gl 1800, my last one, next bike won't be a gold wing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Agreed, but if you own a CTX1300, buy Bluetooth helmets, I don't thing you would be real excited about spending $25,000 on a Goldwing only to learn that you have to spend another $500+(J&M) to get your helmets to work with the Goldwing audio system.
Why would I care if a $25,000 GoldWing audio system worked with what I had on a CTX?? If I had just bought a CTX I doubt I would be also looking to buy a new GoldWing and... if I was/did I don't suspect the $500. you mention would be much of an issue.

At the risk of trying to be conversational and angering the "Honda can do no wrong loyalists" here goes....Cruiserman makes some good points. I started to realize Honda marketing in the US was being driven by US Harley sales and styling years ago as Honda steadily increased their v-twin street and cruiser models at the expense of truly reengineering their touring bikes. This "new" "Honda-Glide" seems like an extension of something weird going on at Honda of America like: "if we can't get a large enough US market cut with the v-twins, we'll take some of the other old stuff and give them all a Harley-Glide look makeover" Honestly, I don't get it...or what serious experienced rider would buy or steer a less experienced rider to any non-Harley with a suspension from last decade built around a detuned 12 year old engine that weighs around 750 pounds fully fueled. Sorry guys, for me it's just another day and another reason I wish old man Honda was still making the decisions.
It doesn't take a "Honda can do no wrong loyalist" to appreciate the new Honda models, including the CTX1300. I don't know that Honda increased their V-twin and cruiser models at the "EXPENSE" of their touring bikes. A profit driven business, they probably put their resources where they felt they could get more return on their investment. As much criticism as some heap on the current "outdated" GoldWing, there is still no 2 up, luxury tourer that challenges it. As to increasing their V-twin and cruiser models in recent years.. A very few years ago Honda had more V-twin cruiser models than they currently offer. VT1100.. discontinued. VTX1800.. discontinued. The only large V-twin cruiser they have offered for the last few years is the re-designed VTX1300 (Fury, etc)

As one who might be considered an experienced serious rider (approx.50 years of continuous riding and ownership) I would definitely buy a Honda (or most any other Japanese or European) motorcycle over a Harley. A 750 lb cruiser with a detuned 12 year old engine? Have you checked on what a Harley weighs (except maybe the sportster) and what their stock horsepower ratings are? I suspect you can do as well with a 12 year old de-tuned engine that, I am willing to bet, produces more power than the stock Harley V-twin which, is not exactly a "new design", now is it?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
But the new bike is NOT a V-Twin, its a 4 banger.

prs

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
They continue to introduce new models with no built-in audience, yet ignore the Goldwing/touring community. How much does it cost to create a market?
Companies that introduce new models to "built in audiences" stagnate and die. Honda builds new audiences, by evidence of their total world domination in the area of two-wheeled transportation.

The center of the motorcycling Universe is not America. In addition, there are a whole SLEW of riders that (believe it or not) don't need a half-ton six-cylinder motorcycle that gets 35mpg in order to "tour". Suggesting that Honda is ignoring the "touring market" because an obsolete design hasn't been updated in over a decade is short-sighted as to what the "big picture" is.

The Goldwing "audience" contributes about one-tenth of one-percent to Honda's bottom line. Motorcycles like the CB250R and Honda's ubiquitous scooters account for more bottom line $$$ than these insane $25,000 land yachts ever will. You want to know the market that Honda is creating (not following)? Log onto either the CB250R, GROM, CB500R/F, or NC700X forums (like I do) and read the posts from all the old guys that are loving their newer, smaller, more fuel efficient rides...Read all about the wives that are now riding and the posts from the new guys that just got their M/C permits and are crazy ecstatic over their new (and inexpensive) 70mpg NC700 or CB500R

You are correct that Honda hasn't substantially upgraded the GL1800 in forever. However, I believe you are incorrect when you say they are ignoring the market. The market has moved, maybe not in a direction that suits everyone, but there is no denying that a LOT of people like the idea of smaller, nimbler, more fuel efficient motorcycles.

There is a 'reason' Honda sells more motorcycles in a week than most manufactures sell in a year. Seriously.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I started to realize Honda marketing in the US was being driven by US Harley sales and styling years ago
Exactly!
Look at the Pacific Coast...has Harley Davidson Low Rider written all over it.
How about the ST1300? If that isn't a V-Rod clone I don't know what is.
Don't even get me started on the "look at me, I'm a FLHS something or other" VFR1200.
CB1000RR? Tell me (honestly) you also wondered why The Motor Company didn't sue Honda's @ss for copying the Street Glide!
919 Hornet? Can you say "Sportster"?
Honda thought they were pretty sharp but we all found out that under that pretty sport bike skin of the RC-51(AKA, RVT1000R) there was......a V-Twin! Just like...yep! Harley Davidson!

Sometimes a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I saw the CTX1300 at the bike show in Phoenix. I really like it, no test ride available but looks great and comfortable to sit on. I also like the CB1100. I'm sure there are things about each I would prefer different but the same as with the Wing. And if they have decent suspension, that would be one improvement over the Wing.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Exactly!
Look at the Pacific Coast...has Harley Davidson Low Rider written all over it.
How about the ST1300? If that isn't a V-Rod clone I don't know what is.
Don't even get me started on the "look at me, I'm a FLHS something or other" VFR1200.
CB1000RR? Tell me (honestly) you also wondered why The Motor Company didn't sue Honda's @ss for copying the Street Glide!
919 Hornet? Can you say "Sportster"?
Honda thought they were pretty sharp but we all found out that under that pretty sport bike skin of the RC-51(AKA, RVT1000R) there was......a V-Twin! Just like...yep! Harley Davidson!

Sometimes a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest.
I do not see a single parallel between the bikes that you mention. None whatsoever. Strange.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts