GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post a photo of a cupped tire? I don't think I can recognize when it's happening...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Best way to tell is to run your hand over the tire tread. If it isn't wearing even you will feel it.

Most will cup more on the left side than the right side because most riders make left hand turns.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Pointing to a page that details cupping on car tires can really add confusion to the discussion. Please don't.
:fullsize: for more information about motorcycle tires

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Waldo, did you look at the page? There are several good examples of moto tires with cupping.
Sorry. My internet is deathly slow today and I only saw about twenty or so on the first page. Yup there are bike tires cupped on there. I even grabbed a few for my article. If you examine only the bike tires, you will see that cupping always follows the tread pattern.

I especially like this one:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Sorry. My internet is deathly slow today and I only saw about twenty or so on the first page. Yup there are bike tires cupped on there. I even grabbed a few for my article. If you examine only the bike tires, you will see that cupping always follows the tread pattern.

I especially like this one:

:lol: Thanks Waldo. I like that pic.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Before I had the folks in Canton Ga install their traxxion suspension upgrade on my bike,my front tire would start cupping after about 4000 miles.

You can feel the alternating depressions in the tread easily by hand.Your bike will start to vibrate more and more as the cupping gets worse.I notice it the most when I would ride slow as I was approching a red light,seemed to make the bike harder to balance at slow speeds.

So far,since the traxxion upgrade,no more cupping,no more wobble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts