GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all the guys that have floor boards, aqua boards or running boards, whatever you want to call them, Im sure youve had the hot foot....well I set out for a cure, and found one....I had the Baker trike wings, and it made things worse, sooooooo I cut them and turned them where they would catch air instead of blocking it...and now cool air goes over your feet, and keeps the radiator heat heading outward

Attachments

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Certainly a much easier application than what I might suggest.;):thumbup: "Cool" idea for sure.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Looks like a good idea for in the summer..... BuuuuuT,, What good would they be in the rain or when the temps drop to 35 or less,,,,,:shrug:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a good idea for in the summer..... BuuuuuT,, What good would they be in the rain or when the temps drop to 35 or less,,,,,:shrug:
dont know bout the rain, but when the weather cools off, just turn them where they block the wind instead of catching it

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
dont know bout the rain, but when the weather cools off, just turn them where they block the wind instead of catching it
That will work,,,
I have the two piece setup ( cause there wasn't a one piece when I got them :) ) I have wondered many times how one could just take off the front section in the summer, and but them back on in the winter. If MT had made a short cover section to cover the frame work it would be cooler also, but probably double the cost, too.....

Now figure out how to channel the heat off the radiator outlets with a clip on cover over the fin area that directs the heat back onto your legs in the winter.. ;) Thats been on my mind for several years.........

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't have the running boards or ground effects or whatever you call them on my rig, but I have really noticed the heat on my legs, especially my left leg, this summer. It has been extremely hot here, and that may be part of the story, but I have really noticed the problem on my left shin and especially when I have my feet on the highway pegs. I generally will feel a small hot spot if I get my leg too close to the rear end of the motor (valve cover) on that side, but this is different, or in addition to that. The heat is definitely coming from the radiator vent on that side. I don't have the chrome inserts that some say make this worse, but I do have the lower trike wind deflectors mounted at the front of the engine guards.

I decided to take them completely off and see if it makes a difference. Haven't been able to get out on the road since removing them, but I'll remedy that on Saturday. I'll report back with my experience. Also have a trip planned in early October to Marble Falls for the weekend, so that oughta provide a good test. I have enjoyed the protectors because they keep the bugs and stones off my legs and give some additional protection to the fenders on my trike. I hate to give that up, but will do so for the reduction of heat that I hope will result!

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the trike wings on my CSC cobra. Wasn't real sure if they helped. I put them on my 2 wheel Goldwing for a trip to see if it made a difference. It did, most of the heat on my lower portion disappeared and my mpg went up. After riding my cobra with out them for a week now I can say they will go back on. I did not experience any hot foot that I noticed. I rode in temps above 90 degrees often.
That is a cool idea

dd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts