GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I thought that one agency in Texas used GW for their motor officers. I'm sure that somebody will chime in with more info.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Personally I think it is kind of silly to have that big bike for the sole purpose of a single officer riding it. There are many other bikes that are less expensive and lighter weight making it more agile to handle in tight spots. I don't think they will be putting any suspects on the back and transporting them. They look good though.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Columbus Ohio does, or at least did. But then again, they were 10 miles away from the Marysville plant.

The Wing isn't the best choice for a police bike, unless it is just used for special events. It has too long of a wheel base, it's heavy, and needs too much modification to remove all the stuff that motor cops don't need. Even though the Wing handles well at low speed, it's long wheelbase makes it impossible to make really tight turns. Love them or hate them, that is one of the reasons Harleys made good cop bikes. A highly trained officer can make ridiculously tight turns with that shorter wheelbase.

The ST1300 was more popular than the Wing as a police bike.

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
Local Honda dealer (in the DFW area) told our GWRRA group that one of the smaller cities in our area (not in the metroplex, but within 100 miles or so) is ordering F6Bs for their motor officers. I'll see if I can find out which city it was.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
just saw two Harley police bikes in Pittsburgh p.a.,,,,,,both had sidecars:shock::eek:4:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Some (several) Houston motor officers ride wings with the rear seat/trunk removed. I think the bikes are owned by the officers who then get re-imbursed for the use they get while on duty.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not sure if the department buys the Wings for officers use near Houston.

But, there are several officers who have modified their Wings for use on-duty and for off-duty, extra jobs.

Of those wanting to use the Goldwing platform, though, more and more are looking to the F6B as they don't have to do nearly as much rear deck or seat modification as with the Wing.

Some departments are going with the Victory police package rather than the market standard HD as the warranty is better and there are a number of other advantages.

But, HD is upping the ante with their 2014 model Police line with more horsepower, a differently geared transmission/sprocket set, modified emergency switch locations, swapped speedo/tach locations, and linked brakes.

Here's 2 Victory Commander 1 pics...

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Sheriffs Department around the Barber MOTORSPORTS park in Birmingham Alabama uses Goldwings. I have seen them using them for directing traffic and they lead out the parade lap for spectators to ride on the track.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think the ST1300 is the only model that Honda builds as a "police" version. I.e., radio, lights, larger alternator. Etc..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts