GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems the tire gods are playing hide-and-seek with me.

First I was going to order the Kumho, but this tire ended up being listed as a summer tire and I need a tire that will hold the road in sub zero temps with some snow and ice thrown in for fun. Scratch choice #1.

After some additional research last week, I decided that the Dunlop Wintersport 3D would work as a good all around winter/summer tire. Tire Rack was out, but found 2 at Mavis Tire. Ordered on Saturday - they canceled the order today. Turns out they didn't really have the 2 in stock like they thought.

RiderUSA recommended the Ultra Grip as a good Winter tire. At double the mileage of the Dunnie, this also looks like a nice choice, so off to the internet storefront. Checked every tire site on Murgie's list and unless I'm blind, they are all either sold-out or don't carry that size/brand combo.

Now I know the Darksider thing has gotten pretty popular with this group lately, but did you guys really have to go and buy up all the decent 195/55r16 RF winter tires in the country????? :lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to keep digging, but if any of you have a source for the Ultra runflat (where there is actually some inventory on hand), please let me know.

thanks,

·
Registered
803 Posts
Now why did they quit making the Ultra? Too many people liked it?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Everytime I start to think about what tire I'm going to replace My Ultra with I go out and look at it and the damn thing won't wear out:doorag:
Its really Odd not changing Tires every 12k.
I guess I'll have to pull the motor again for something to do. :eek:4:
Or wash the DWG. :wrong:

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Just got the Dunnie and a fresh 'stone mounted yesterday.

25k on the Ultra and it had 5k left in it but I couldn't resist after looking at the 175.

That's the good news.:coffee1: 1 degree here with snow this morning.:frown:

·
Registered
352 Posts
They quit making the Ultra.
Darn, I really like that tire, Goodyear Ultra. Conti SSR gave less than 20K miles and was squared off and gave wandering ride over road ruts.. Dunlop WinterSport wasn't too bad.

Have half worn Ultra on bike now and another new on spare rim. Might call a few outlets to see if they have any in stock. They might have one or two lying around but not enough to advertise.

Too bad Shiver, ride year round here in SE NY with no problem. Not as cold or snowy as MN but think you would have liked the Ultra.

RiderUSA

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad Shiver, ride year round here in SE NY with no problem. Not as cold or snowy as MN but think you would have liked the Ultra.

RiderUSA
Yea, after reading the reviews and looking at the tread, this tire moved to the top of my Winter list. I couldn't find a WinterSport either, so I ended up ordering the Blizzak.

I probably would have run the Ultra year round. We'll see about the Blizzak, but I'm guessing that I will run the Kumho in the summer due to mileage and noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts