GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder if different motorcycles go through the same corner at the same speed if they lean the same amount. It seems like my Wing leans more than my Roadking. Sometimes I think all the suspension work I've done {traxxion} only helps the bike feel better and doesn't really increase the ultimate cornering ability of the bike. That being said I love the feel of the bike with traxxion.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds backwards but the Wing leans more because of the lower center of gravity. (Funner to ride and safer also, but my wife noticed it also and thinks I'm cornering faster). With my Venture I needed to counter steer. Gravity sucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got my 2007 the end of July and I was noticing that I do not counter steer as much as on my PC800. It seems weird??? This is normal.....

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I just got my 2007 the end of July and I was noticing that I do not counter steer as much as on my PC800. It seems weird??? This is normal.....
Rake, trail and length of bars (leverage) will all affect the amount of pressure required to counter steer.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
My concours handles a lot easier and faster in the twisties than my Gold Wing did. But it's lighter and has a lot more ground clearance,

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Weight of the bike has a lot to do with it, 125cc MotoGP bikes corner faster, with no more lean angle, than the 800cc MotoGP bikes.

I can carry, guesstimate, about 25% - 30% more corner speed on my Ducati than I can on the 'Wing on a 50mph+ corner.

For example, on AIrpark Rd in Gaithersburg MD, before it got all built up, I followed two Police Motorcycle riders taking this left hand sweeping turn at 50mph, I was in the left lane of the two lanes in my Ford F150 pickup truck, they were in the right lane both dragging floorboards, they didn't have any extra lean angle available.

Now on the same turn, in my hooligan years, I could comfortably negotiate that turn, staying in one lane at 90mph on my Bimota Db2.

Their bikes probably weighed around 750+ pounds. My DB2 is 408lbs wet, full of gas.

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts