GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in trying out custom ear phones. I would like some feedback on what is available and costs for impressions and the final product.

Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
By the very nature of the earplugs (custom, that is fitted to your ears by taking a mold of your ear) it's impossible to try them out. You can, however, get some IN-EAR monitors and test them out.

Here is a message board with tons of information about in ear monitors and custom molded models as well.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/index.php

·
Registered
68 Posts
jamcgowan, Here is the link to the custom molded plugs you need: :D

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/toissy.html The Challenger (M) is a custom plug which offers 25+dB isolation to external road noise while providing excellent hearing of all audio components on the gold wing. I also use the Edsets Mic and helmet buddy. the Edsets Mic is so sensitive that I can hear folks talking 2-3 bikes back of me at stop lights. I now hear sirens at triple the distance before the edsets equipment. My wife tells me I have hearing loss; one would never know with this set up. Custom plugs can cost between $99.00 up to $1200.00 or more. The challenger will cost $198.00
BEST STUFF I EVER PURCHASED

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AgFox,

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestion. I went out to Ed's website and found the name of the outfit he used for his ear buds "Now Hear This."

www.plugup.com

Ordered the custom ear phones - see below

Part #: NHT-HearPlugs
Total Cost: $175.00 if you do the molds yourself and send them in or $220.00 if you have them made an audiologist.***

1 year warranty
Custom cable length/plug assemblies on request
Response Bandwidth: 20-16,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 128 dB SPL
Stereo or Mono gold-plated, right angle stereo plug
Cable length: 57 in (4 ft 7 in)
Various speaker options to address your hearing (or hearing loss) needs
Very low profile and downward angled wire to fit comfortably under the helmet
Fits small ears or narrow ear canals
Round Storage Pouch - Denier Nylon with PVC water repellent backing

By the way, I checked around before purchasing to see what the cost would be for me to have the molds made by an audiologist in my area and it ranged from $55.00 per ear to $75.00 per ear. :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Now Hear This" only charges $45.00 for both ears ($220.00 - $175.00) and they call and schedule your appointment at a local audiologist near you. :bow: You just walk in, have the molds made at no extra cost, take the molds with you, and mail them to "Now Hear This".

It takes about a week once they receive the molds, to make and send out the new ear phones. Great service! :D

The only other thing I had to buy was Ed's Helmet Buddy Connector for $27.50.

http://edsets.com/product_details.php?c ... tem_id=160

I'll give a report as soon as I get a chance to try them out.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
THANKS to all who posted the links!

I have been looking for something like these for a long time.

Tired of not being able to hear over the wind noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts