GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a new Wing. We would like to have color matched cherry red helmets--they are currently white. What is a reasonable charge to have a professional paint two full face helmets? Is this something I could do with some painter's tape and a spray can? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have to pay about $100 per helmet at our local Toyota Dealership body shop.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I would stay with the white helmets, they will help you be seen on the bike, years back when I had a red Gold Wing I got a great deal on an an Arai white helmet, I bought it and everyone that i rode with told me those helmets stood out like a sore thumb, well thats what I want when I'm on my bike.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helmet Age

The helmets are about 2 years old. I wore mine a lot. My wife's was worn only on weekends.

I DO prefer white helmets. The SO really wants the color match. Maybe a white stripe?

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

It is something you can do yourself, but it is more complicated than "a spray can." The Honda factory colors are a three coat process: base color, top color, and overcoat. All three plus an appropriate primer can be purchased on-line through Colorite.

The best way to do a helmet is to remove EVERYTHING that can be removed so that you have complete spray access to the shell. You need the straps, liner, visor, edging, and everything else out of your way.

If this sounds like too much work many shops that paint bikes will also do helmets.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I also like the white helmets, they seem to be a lot cooler in the hot sun.
Used to use black helmet, and it will bake you when it's hot out.

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
I would stay with the white helmets, they will help you be seen on the bike, years back when I had a red Gold Wing I got a great deal on an an Arai white helmet, I bought it and everyone that i rode with told me those helmets stood out like a sore thumb, well thats what I want when I'm on my bike.
ditto

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also have a new red Goldwing. I bought two Arai Calente Red helmets from www.atlanticmoto.com and assumed the colors would be close. Once I picked up the bike, the helmets were spot on identical.

J.D.

·
Registered
425 Posts

If they dont notice a 800LBs bike with lights and reflectors moving towards them , do you really think the tard in the caddy will notice the white helmet more ?

They did a temp test and color had very little to do with inside temp it was more moving air flow than black over white . Kind oflike your seat when real hot in the sun once underway its fine long as you dont sit too long , bottom line when its hot its hot without AC

·
Registered
818 Posts
My wife and I have a new Wing. We would like to have color matched cherry red helmets--they are currently white. What is a reasonable charge to have a professional paint two full face helmets? Is this something I could do with some painter's tape and a spray can? Thanks.
Depending on the color of your bike, most major helmet companies will have helmets that either match or match closely, your bike. If you have the goldwing red, I have an HJC that match's perfectly. Fifteen years ago, I paid $100 to paint a helmet two tone; I can't imagine what it would be today. You spent better than $20k for a new 'wing, spend a little more and buy, new, matching helmets. After the initial buyer's remorse, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Have your names painted on your white helments in the color of your bike.

Cheeper and Safer!!

R

·
Registered
172 Posts
$50

I got a quote from a specialty helmet shop of $175. My local private, non-dealer, body shop did my helmets for $50 apiece plus paint cost. I don't know what it's like with Hondas yet because I'm new to them, but with Beemers the paint can get pricey.

BTW, I've recently given up on the matching paint idea. Now we both wear the screaming High-Vis-Yellow. I get a lot of looks, but I know they see me now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rust-oleum universal all surface paint, at home depot,about $8 a can, painted mine 4 year ago, lightly sand 400 grit sand paper wash with alcohol, pull stickers off use hair dryer, take your time tapeing what you can't get off. worked for me.

Billy

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Automotive paint is very expensive. It is difficult to color match less than one pint and that can cost in the range of $60 plus additives and the clear urethane for another $20 or so. Add a minimum of 1 hour labor and realistically 2 hours and you come up with about $150 to $200 unless you want someone to paint it with a rattle can. Two can be painted for almost the same price as one with a little bit more for labor.

Jeff...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts