GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the bulk of work on my HF trailer. Check it out. I can't wait to try it out but I need to get a Bushtec receiver first.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
From what I read from the experts in various magazines, the trailer tongue should be 1 1/2 the width of the axle to be towed without any issues. From your pictures it shows that the tongue is at least 2 times the lenght of your axle. The trailer will sit way too far back from your bike. Perhaps you should check that out. Just a suggestion.

Happy trailering,

Mike T.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip.
I am going to add a swivel and a bracket for a cooler so I wanted to wait until I got those things to determine length. Thanks again for the tip

DJ

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Italian Stallion,

I built a HF trailer as well and made my tounge nice and lont (space for cooler rack later!). Longer is ok... Just dont get too short. mine is a littel more than 2x the axle, and worked great, has about 1000 mi. on it now!

The longer the tounge, the less tounge weight you have (important if you put a 35 qt. cooler full of ice on it!), you just have to make sure that the tounge doestn't get too light, It will track funny!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering where you measure from to get the tongue length. I imagine it is from the axle to the end of the tongue.

My axle width is 43" from rim to rim, my tongue from axle to end is 74". That leaves me 10" less than double and about 8" more than 1 1/2 times the axle width. I think it should be good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts