GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When checking my Dunlop E3 rear tire tread depth this morning, I found a 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep (at the deepest part) cut towards the outer edge of the tire. The cut is clean -- nothing in there. I have just under 5/32" tread left, or several thousand miles.

For those that know about tire construction, is this an "absolutely change," "probably should change" or "you're probably fine" situation in your OPINION. My decision is my responsibility, of course ... I'm an old fashioned kind of guy.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
Assuming it looks like a road hazard cut, you can ride on it with no concern. To tell if it is road hazard, the cut will not be even - it will have uneveness or jagged edges. The body or strength of the tire comes from its inner cord. Even if the cut were down to the inner cord, and not inner cored not freyed or damaged, it would still be a safe tire. The only concern would be a loss of protection to the inner cord but rubber offers very little in that regards.

I used to manage coperate Firstone and Goodyear stores in the passenger and LT truck side of the tire/auto-repair industry. I have lots of experiance and training when it comes to tires and am sure the same rules apply to m/c tires.

·
Registered
687 Posts
By "outer edge" I assume you mean the tread. My opinion is any cut in the tread the depth and length you mentioned would make change a no brainer.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
It would help if you posted a picture or two to show exactly what and where the cut is.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
No question, a new tire. I don't care what autos and light trucks do. A damaged MC tire with a chunk of rubber missing gets replaced immediately.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you gotta ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what are you going to replace it with? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I've had a 1/2" wide and through the outer tead "cut" just off center of my rear Bridgestone first noted at about 2,400 miles into that tire's life. The 'cut" is still right there, the same width, but not nearly so deep since the tread is now at the wear bars. It is NOT a cut at all, but rather an opening in the nearly invisible seam where the tread ends meet. The seam and its adhesion to the under layment were not perfect to begin with. I've seen it and heard of it with Avon, Dunlop, and Bridgestone; it is not a perfect world. There is another layer of soft rubber benieth the tread and above the woven carcass. I don't let it bit me a bother, it is a benign conditon and if it does progress, your normal pre-ride inspections will detect the flaw.

Is this nonchalant or cavalier attitude putting me and my rider at risk? Well, we are at risk anyway. Flats and sudden deflations happen and one has to be ever alert to them and prepared to react immediately. In my experience, flats happen with through perforations from foreign objects. Road hazzard bruises or running underinflated casue delaminations that should be detected either on pre-ride or in very early stages by the alert rider in motion. Cuts, scrapes, nicks, and gouges seem to outlive the useful life of the tire. I an not saying to not be alert to the tire's conditon, I am saying to always be alert to any tire's condition and performance.

prs

·
Registered
758 Posts
When confronted with this type of question, I always myself this............would I let my kids or wife ride that? If the answer is no, change the tire!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If it were mine, I'd just keep an eye on it.
Watch it to make sure it doesn't get bigger.

Looks like you might have run over a piece of glass.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I had what sounds like the same type of cut. It was either a Dunlop roadsmart or E3, forgot. But mine was leaking very, very, slowly so I decided to change it. I didn't look at it as something that would blowout or anything that would cause a sudden catastrophic failure. The slow leak, I couldn't tolerate.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If it were mine I would check it every fill up. As long as it doesn't get any worse, I would keep riding.

As you have noted, it is your bike and your decision.

Jason

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Ask and ye shall receive... maybe. First time trying to attach a photo.

Not what I was expecting to see. There has been a rash of similar "cuts" on this board lately. It has crossed all brands. If it ain't deep, run it. Keep an eye on it for a while though.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I had a tire with a small cut like that and I was concerned. I just checked it at every fuel stop. I put a mark on the wheel where the cut was so when I pulled up to the pump I could easily roll the bike until the mark was in a visible spot.
After 2000 miles the cut wore away.

·
Vendor
17,406 Posts
I've had a 1/2" wide and through the outer tead "cut" just off center of my rear Bridgestone first noted at about 2,400 miles into that tire's life. The 'cut" is still right there, the same width, but not nearly so deep since the tread is now at the wear bars. It is NOT a cut at all, but rather an opening in the nearly invisible seam where the tread ends meet. The seam and its adhesion to the under layment were not perfect to begin with. I've seen it and heard of it with Avon, Dunlop, and Bridgestone; it is not a perfect world. There is another layer of soft rubber benieth the tread and above the woven carcass. I don't let it bit me a bother, it is a benign conditon and if it does progress, your normal pre-ride inspections will detect the flaw.

Is this nonchalant or cavalier attitude putting me and my rider at risk? Well, we are at risk anyway. Flats and sudden deflations happen and one has to be ever alert to them and prepared to react immediately. In my experience, flats happen with through perforations from foreign objects. Road hazzard bruises or running underinflated casue delaminations that should be detected either on pre-ride or in very early stages by the alert rider in motion. Cuts, scrapes, nicks, and gouges seem to outlive the useful life of the tire. I an not saying to not be alert to the tire's conditon, I am saying to always be alert to any tire's condition and performance.

prs
Yes ... you are describing a manufacture flaw and that tire should be replaced. See my post above to tell the differance. In your case, the tread rubber is beginning to seporate and may continue too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts