GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every other bike I've owned had an easy way to strap stuff to the rear seat, except this new Wing.
I tried using bungees, but didn't have the proper length, and even using my trusty Rok Straps was awkward.
So I finally got serious and cut two slots in each of the passenger grab handles.

The handles are made of some very hard plastic type material that is similar to the old bakelite stuff used in electrical applications.
But I decided that trying to cut them on the bike would probably be messy and not end well. So I took them off, and bolted them to a piece of plywood, which made the job much easier.

I drilled a small hole in each corner, then used the multi-tool wood blade to cut the long sides, and finished it with the dremel rotary tool and a long carbide bit. I used blue tape to protect the exposed outer surfaces, and it turned out pretty good.
The multi-tool vibrates a lot, so bolting them down worked much better than trying to hold them with just a wood clamp.

Now I have two nice slots on each side for my straps, and life is good again.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,556 Posts
Every other bike I've owned had an easy way to strap stuff to the rear seat, except this new Wing.
I tried using bungees, but didn't have the proper length, and even using my trusty Rok Straps was awkward.
So I finally got serious and cut two slots in each of the passenger grab handles.

The handles are made of some very hard plastic type material that is similar to the old bakelite stuff used in electrical applications.
But I decided that trying to cut them on the bike would probably be messy and not end well. So I took them off, and bolted them to a piece of plywood, which made the job much easier.

I drilled a small hole in each corner, then used the multi-tool wood blade to cut the long sides, and finished it with the dremel rotary tool and a long carbide bit. I used blue tape to protect the exposed outer surfaces, and it turned out pretty good.
The multi-tool vibrates a lot, so bolting them down worked much better than trying to hold them with just a wood clamp.

Jefro.
Good job and very nice mod. Honda should had done similar from the factory in the first place...another thing is for whatever reason Honda insisted on downgrading the helmet lock system like they did, they should had least put another helmet lock on the other grab rail too...that would at least made the lousy helmet lock system work with two helmets...both of these simple things would had made the OEM handrails so much nicer...but they do look really nice on the bike :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have purchased those myself but they have yet to arrive at WingStuff.:frown2:
From the WS website:

Product will be made available from the manufacturer approximately middle of February.

As with many new things it's hurry up and wait...

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I ordered a set and don't need them until April. So I should be good to go even if the February release turns into March.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

Jefro.
Nice mod. Are the grab handles solid or hollow?

·
Registered
167 Posts
According bigbikeparts (showchrome) website now available. I also ordered via HDL with some other new Showchrome items which are still on backorder.

http://http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=52-944&GroupGuid=12136
Harry, do you order directly in the USA? You ordered via HDL???? I find the shipping cost very high for the moment. There is a representation in France. I think I will order over there but parts are not yet available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts