GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

I saw this on "The Price Is Right" as one of the prizes and Googled their web-site. I think this is certainly different than some of the camping trailers out there. Sort of like a mini bedroom on wheels with lockable doors. I have seen their Mini trailer line mentioned on our forum but never the larger series that you could sleep in. The Rascal model is pull-able from a Goldwing or any larger motorcycle and has some interesting options (my favorite is the Tailgater option complete with umbrella and BBQ grill attachments and blowup sofa). They are located in North Canton, OH and about an hours ride for me. I just might take a ride out there in the coming month. I'm not affiliated, just pointing out an interesting find for other trailer enthusiasts. Gas mileage would definitely take a hit using a Goldwing. It sure beats wasting time setting up/taking down a camp site with tent(s). Some pros, some cons... but interesting, don't you think? I really liked the one that was painted like a ladybug! :lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I like the teardrop trailers and think that might be in my future. I have an Aspen Classic now so am satisfied but would someday like to trike the wing and pull something like that. It sure would make set-up and break-down easier.

Bryansong

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think the Rascal is really cool, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money. I would however like to hear from a few people who own them with GoldWings because;

1) at 490#, it's kinda heavy to be dragging around maybe?
2) with 50# of tongue weight, how does that stress the frame and/or trailer hitch, etc.....?
3) Considering the weight, how does it affect braking/steering..?
4) Does the teardrop shape act like a big wall aerodynamically, meaning it basically drags the bike down and puts a lot of stress on the engine?

I've heard horror stories about Honda not warrantying frame issues if you have a trailer hitch, so... The smaller Aluma MCT is about -- as I recall -- half the weight of the Rascal, so while it's possible to drag behind a wing, it may or may not be a good thing?

Wayne

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea Wayne, I hear ya. You could pretty much say that any trailer pulled behind a motorcycle is not a good idea, but the heavier the trailer the worse the outcome that could be expected. Stopping distance, gas mileage, and just safety in general would all be a concern. However, the extra caution and vigilance may prove to be worthwhile when pulling over for that first nap! (Take a snooze in bed and wait out that pesky rain storm that just popped up). You may be able to off load a little of that tongue weight if you load up the tailgate with road snacks. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
There is a car dealer in daytona that carries the full line.there is only one make for motorcycles.the small one its runs 4 to 5 k.the larger one go up to 8k and over , and there are a lot of addons.Drawbacks no dressing room .heavy and over priced.but they nice looking but more for car towing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The local Camping World had one on display. Other Camping Worlds may have them as well. Cool little tear drop trailer.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
too heavy to be safe for a bike

·
Registered
522 Posts
http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/

I saw this on "The Price Is Right" as one of the prizes and Googled their web-site. I think this is certainly different than some of the camping trailers out there. Sort of like a mini bedroom on wheels with lockable doors. I have seen their Mini trailer line mentioned on our forum but never the larger series that you could sleep in. The Rascal model is pull-able from a Goldwing or any larger motorcycle and has some interesting options (my favorite is the Tailgater option complete with umbrella and BBQ grill attachments and blowup sofa). They are located in North Canton, OH and about an hours ride for me. I just might take a ride out there in the coming month. I'm not affiliated, just pointing out an interesting find for other trailer enthusiasts. Gas mileage would definitely take a hit using a Goldwing. It sure beats wasting time setting up/taking down a camp site with tent(s). Some pros, some cons... but interesting, don't you think? I really liked the one that was painted like a ladybug! :lol:
I wouldn't even think about towing this with a Goldwing. It is made for a four wheeled vehicle.
The tongue weight would tear up a goldwing frame.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't even think about towing this with a Goldwing. It is made for a four wheeled vehicle.
The tongue weight would tear up a goldwing frame.
At 490 lbs it is definitely in the upper weight range of what I'd be willing to pull but still well within the Goldwing's capability. Regarding the tongue weight, I've seen more than 50 lbs on a Goldwing hitch from a Pack-It Rack! You would have to change your riding style (for those many dare devil thrill seeker riders out there) but then I tend to drive my wing on the conservative side so pulling a trailer like this wouldn't bother me.

...and the smaller Rascal is specifically marketed for the motorcycle crowd (as their web-site clearly shows) so, it's just not made for cars. But a trike may be better suited to pull it, no argument there... :agree:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
There's a dealer right around the corner from me and I often thought the same thing.. They are cute as hell but with an unloaded weight of well over 400# I personally wouldn't consider it.. Braking would be the primary concern.. Add surge brakes and it may work though!!

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
I really like the concept, but would be real uncomfortable pulling it with any motorcycle. Not saying it can't be done, just saying not by me. ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Drawbacks no dressing room .heavy and over priced.but they nice looking but more for car towing.
when I drove a truck, I learn to dress laying down, they show a few models that a bike can pull.....I see a lot +++ and a few ---.....:shrug:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
trike it out..and pull it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts