GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, about 45 minutes into my 90 minute commute, I was sitting at a stop sign, and the bike just shut off. I tried to restart it, but the headlights just went dim, but no starter motor. I turned off my heated clothing. I waited about 10 seconds, and tried again, and it started right back up, and went fine for the rest of my other 45 minutes. On the way home last night, it ran fine, heated clothing on blast, No problems. I put it on the battery tender overnight.

Same ol S**t this morning, this time while I was going 45mph it just shut off. Again, turned off the clothing, came to a stop, hit the start button, headlights blink, no starter. I wait about 20 seconds this time, it starts right up, and I finish my way to work, heat back on blast.

Tonight, heat on blast, everything fine whole way home.

The dealer says I shouldn't have the heat or the GPS wired straight to the battery, as it is a direct draw that "doesn't hit the alternator first", and I should take it to them and have it wired through the accessory block.

I had it wired this way on my previous bike, no problems.

The only thing I can think of that is different about when I leave home, from when I leave work, is that at home I leave my gps hooked up, but powered off. At work, I take it off and take it inside.

On the other hand, even though I left the gps hooked up last night,the bike was on the battery tender. Can it be that much of a draw?

One time a couple months ago, (I wasn't using the heat back then) I accidentally left my GPS on (mp3 player running) all night, and the bike started up fine the next day.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Reverse switch on the engine behind the right panel, tighten the nut that retains the wire.

"doesn't hit the alternator first"? Run, real fast, from that stealer.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
salyzyn said:
Reverse switch on the engine behind the right panel, tighten the wire.

"doesn't hit the alternator first"? Run, real fast, from that stealer.

What does it look like, and what tool do I need?

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Keep in mind this is but one guess as to the possible cause of your problem.

Courtesy of Fred H.

10mm or 12mm wrench I think.

If that does not work, use a grip plier and a baseball bat :twisted:

I

·
0 Posts
I can't comment on Salyzins fix regarding the reverse switch. He could well be right..I don't know.

One thing he is right about for sure...find another dealer. That one is an idiot.

The alternator will charge the battery and keep it up to snuff as long as the load doesn't excede the alternators charging ability. It doesn't sound like you are exceding that at all, unless you have a ton of lights, etc.

Check all battery and alternator connections for tightness/corrosion etc.

Your GPS is probably irrelevant. It doesn't use enough power to matter in your case.

Beyond that, sorry, I don't know what else to say.

My $.03. I used to charge $.02..inflation you know. :lol:

Ride safe. Merry Christmas

Ride safe. Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
If I leave my GPS, (Garmin 276C), hooked up but powered off ofr a week the battery will noy start the bike. Dad discovered this first on his bike. Three or four days is not a problem. FWIW

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
My Gerbings have been hooked directly to the battery since Nov of 2000 and it works perfect.... I had mine quit a couple times like yours did, I tightened all the ground connections and its been good for last few years.

That dealer sounds like a stealer !!

JMHO 8)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
"hit the alternator first" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He's a better comedian, than a dealer! :shock: Maybe he should explain to you how the accessory panel isn't connected to the battery. :roll: In the TV repair business they call that "baffling the customer with BS" :shock:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
techdude2000 said:
"hit the alternator first" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He's a better comedian, than a dealer! :shock: Maybe he should explain to you how the accessory panel isn't connected to the battery. :roll: In the TV repair business they call that "baffling the customer with BS" :shock:
Hmmmm....maybe this guys got something here. You know, the electrons in the battery have been laying there all night and may not be early risers. The Alternator electrons are all spun up and ready to go. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then in the afternoon, the battery electrons are rarin' to go and everything works well goin' home. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey Montero,
If you don't find anything else,
take the fuse box loose from it's mounting.
You can twist it around until you can see the connections
on the back.
At the bottom on the back is where the T3 and T4 connections are,
where the alternator and battery cables terminate to the fuse block.
Check these connections are clean and tight.
Also check the 100 amp fuse (main fuse B)
to be sure it has clean and tight connections.
DC

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Also look at the connections for the ignition switch, maybe even the switch itself. You have something loose somewhere. Easiest way to find it is when it quits completely. Then take it to a REAL mechanic.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Thanks for the help. I'll look in to of all your suggestions.

·
Registered
337 Posts
salyzyn said:
Reverse switch on the engine behind the right panel, tighten the nut that retains the wire.
If it's the reverse sensor switch, the reverse light will flash like it does when it's going into reverse but hasn't made it yet. At least that's my experience. But it's an easy check and should be done.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
magek said:
salyzyn said:
If it's the reverse sensor switch, the reverse light will flash like it does when it's going into reverse but hasn't made it yet. At least that's my experience. But it's an easy check and should be done.

I looked into the reverse switch, it was tight.
A different dealer suggested bringing the battery in to have it load tested.

First I'll see if disconnecting my gps/mp3 (Lowrance I Way 500c) at night, and see if that makes a difference. I'd like to think the problem is in the battery, not the bike. Hopefully this is the case, I can't STAND going to the dealer.

My first choise is an Odyssey.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just another thought. I have read, and also expereinced, that the Kill Switch can go bad. The slightest touch, or bump in the road can trigger it off. Fred also has something on his page about this as well. There was a recall on this for some models and sorry that I do not have access to my other files right now, or I would have included the recall notice for you.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wheels said:
Just another thought. I have read, and also expereinced, that the Kill Switch can go bad. The slightest touch, or bump in the road can trigger it off. Fred also has something on his page about this as well. There was a recall on this for some models and sorry that I do not have access to my other files right now, or I would have included the recall notice for you.
I thought about that- I've been beating on it while I ride, no problems. I think the problem is the battery.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
When it died and your were panicked and trying to re-start; did you set it on side stand? Side stand neutral switch could be faulty too. Check EZ stuff first.

prs

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pigeon Roost said:
When it died and your were panicked and trying to re-start; did you set it on side stand? Side stand neutral switch could be faulty too. Check EZ stuff first.

prs
Both times, it was clearly in neutral, and not on sidestand. I don't think when you hit the start button while it's on the sidestand the headlight will even dim.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts