Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cutting out. Update!!

I am working on my 2001 GL1800a.
It has 17800 miles.
I have had it for about a month.

Here is my issue.
After I fill it up and ride it for for 10 miles it starts to cut out, I rev it up and it keeps going.
Here is what I do to stop this.
I crack the gas cap. When I do this it suck air big time. Then it runs like new.

Here is what else I know. The previous owner ( he was the new husband , the owner had passed) said he had the 15k service done. I dont remember when but all the brake fluids are clear.

Any ideas? Gas cap? Emissions? Were would I start looking.

Thanks in advance

John Wodarski

·
Registered
171 Posts
It sounds like you are vapor locking, I know that the fuel tank vents
through a charcoal canister that is located inboard and above the oil filter.
The first and easiest thing to check is to see if any of the hoses that connect to it got kinked or have gotten soft and are collapsing while you are running .
If everything looks ok, remove the seat and dashboard to look for a kinked hose or soft hose. My guess is that when the Previous Owner had the 15k done a hose got kinked or damaged during the oil change( canister by oil filter ) or Air filter change. (hoses under seat and dash area/look up how to change an air filter under search to see what has to come apart) :confused: Good Luck!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
Are you filling the tank to the top or to the bottom of the filler neck? If you let it go above the bottom of the filler neck it can suck liquid gas into the canister and do what you are describing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I took the top shelter off and the front cowl. Upon a quick inspection I found no kinks in the vac lines.

How ever what I did find is that on the Evap Canister the vent tube is clamped onto the drain.

It caught my eye because it had a non Honda hose clamp. I check my service manual and this post. I think that will fix it. What say you(s).

Is something that was rigged to cover another issue? Any thoughts.

I used my Fred Harrmon DVDs for the first time. Very helpful.

Thanks Again!!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
Yep, that's your problem, sounds like the previous owner liked to over fill his tank which will cause liquid gas to eventually drip out of the lower connection on the evap canister. He connected the hose to it to contain the liquid gas, thereby closing off the only vent for the system. :eek:4:

·
Registered
863 Posts
GOOD POSTING. verry informative for us new wing owners, Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Excellent post because I have a habit of filling the tank right to the top of the filler neck.

Guess I'll stop doing that huh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
The problem really occurs when you fill it up.. rock the bike back and forth to "burp" it fill it more, burp, etc. Just filling it to the top of the neck usually won't screw it up all by itself.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Excellent post because I have a habit of filling the tank right to the top of the filler neck.

Guess I'll stop doing that huh?
I have been filling the tank to the top for the past 82k miles and haven't had any problems. (yet)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
Art, I guess you've just been lucky. :thumbup: Here's the statement in the owner's manual.

Add fuel until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck.
Avoid overfilling the tank. There should be no fuel in the filler neck.

:shrug:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Art, I guess you've just been lucky. :thumbup: Here's the statement in the owner's manual.

Add fuel until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck.
Avoid overfilling the tank. There should be no fuel in the filler neck.

:shrug:
10-4, that's why I have "(yet)" in my statement. My bad.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a update.. Un hooking that line fixed the problem.

But I can imagine why some one do that. I cant believe you could over fill it enough to have it spill out the canister..

I think some one thought it was un hooked is my guess.

Thanks for the help

John

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
You're welcome. What actually happens, it doesn't spill into the canister, it is sucked into the canister. Every now and then the ECM opens the control solenoid for this system. When that happens the vacuum from the intake manifold sucks the vapors that have collected in the canister into the engine and burns them. If the tank is too full or full enough and maybe coming to a hard stop and sloshing liquid gas up to the inlet, then the liquid gas gets sucked into the canister. It will sit there until it either turns into vapor or builds up enough to drip out the drain port on the canister. Sometimes this can be found on the ground, sometimes it drips just enough to leave residue on the inside of lower cowl and evaporates into your garage or open air. This is with a normally functioning system. If you take into account the bikes out there that have a kinked or pinched hose in the right place the system can malfunction and collapse a hose or create a vacuum on the tank. One of the main differences between this system and an auto's system, the car system draws in fresh air via a one-way valve in the gas cap. The 1800's cap doesn't vent in or out. The evap canister, when not collecting vapor also allows fresh air to vent into the tank thru the same line when the control solenoid is closed. That's why yours got vacuum locked when the PO attached the drain line to the fresh air vent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts