GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my trike started sputtering and cutting out after I filled the tank up, both times were after I finished filling up. I shut it off and restarted and let it run till the fans came on then shut it off and let it cool and all seemed fine. I bought some new spark plugs before my next ride and rode all day with no issue. This past week we did a few days and 800 miles and did not have any issue till I pulled in my drive way and it started the cutting out thing again. It will idle normal then drop down real low in rpm's and will stall out. It will rev fine, just seems to be during idle. I noticed the volt meter bouncing up and down with the idle. I pulled the battery and had it tested, all was good. The bike is a 01 with 62K miles on it. Looking for suggestions on stuff to check. I have noticed a heavy fuel smell while this is going on but may just be fuel not being burnt good. Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
It seems that someone recently was over filling their tank. Some fuel was getting into the charcoal canister and causing a problem. Just a thought ....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did your plugs look ... black ???

A couple of plugs looked a little wet but not in bad shape and there is a good chance I could have over filled but I was down to about 3/4 tank when it acted up, would that nave caused something like that?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the age of it, I would be checking C5 for signs of a meltdown starting. Low voltage will cause the FI system to do weird stuff.

What is C5?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife's 2001 gl1800 trike had the same thing going on . It was the ECM going bad .

Item # 38770-MCA-P00

If you look this direction give me a call , 713-725-7524

I may be able to answer and ask you a few more questions about this .

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
My wife's 2001 gl1800 trike had the same thing going on . It was the ECM going bad .

Item # 38770-MCA-P00

If you look this direction give me a call , 713-725-7524

I may be able to answer and ask you a few more questions about this .
Hi Steve ... how's your reverse trike doing ???

I agree, if indeed the OP rides a 2001, the DNA in his ECM is telling it to die. However, occasionally the C5/C25 connector shows signs of corrosion and that needs checked too, and always start by checking the battery first. To the OP, be sure to buy a new ECM, some report bad ones bought on eBay, and replace your spark plugs too.

The 2001-03 ECMs used to always throw a FI code first; however, I'm seeing them wanting a few weeks prior to throwing a code.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, I hope to start checking it out this week and will start with the plugs under the seat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts