GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent several hours trying unsuccessfully to use the Cycle Hill tire changer on my rear wheel. The rim clamps wouldn't hold the rim, and it was a wrestling match to try to get all three clamps on. Even if it worked, this thing requires far more effort than my Harbor Freight machine with no advantage over the HF. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

When I placed the order I told the fella at No-mar I'd be using it for a Goldwing and he said it would be better than the No-mar machines for that purpose; I have a feeling they've never tried this thing on Goldwing wheels.

Save your money: the Harbor Freight tire changer is a much better buy.

Icing on the cake: I sent an email about the return to Cycle Hill/No-mar using the "Contact us" link on the website; I just got this back:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at nomartirechanger.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)

An impressive experience in every way...

·
Registered
17,095 Posts
I had never heard of cyclehilltirechanger.com, but google popped-up quite a bit. Did you try [email protected] ? It seems to be the same folks that run NoMar and, if so, you should be in good hands regarding customer service. By your description, I would suspect that they just don't have their email set-up properly yet. Let us know how you fare, good - bad - or ugly.

Now,. I'm going to the NoMar/CylceHill page and check it out...

prs

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another interesting experience vis à vis the Cycle Hill tire changer.

Since the links for email contact don't work on their website, I called this morning to discuss returning the tire changer. The young man I spoke to was very unenthusiastic about the prospect of returning the machine, contending that he'd changed many Goldwing tires using the same rim clamps -- as demonstrated on their website -- and that failure must be due to my "using the same techniques that you use on your Harbor Freight tire changer".

I didn't see how the techniques of capturing rims in clamps would differ that much between the two, but I thought I should take a look at their video to see what there was to see.

They did in fact remove and install a Dunlop rear tire: Kudos to them!

The video is not entirely straightforward. What was interesting is that removal required more steps than a Harbor Freight, with the insertion of blocks to enable you to get the rim clamped on the tire changer. They also avoided breaking the beads with the No-mar machine used in the video, saying only "the beads were previously broken". I don't know how the No-mar works with Goldwing tires but although I was able to break the first bead with the Cycle Hill, the second bead wouldn't budge; I had to break out the Harbor Freight, which popped it off easily.

They also use their spoonbars to mount the tire, rather than the bar that comes with the tire changer. I used the modified HF bar and wood blocks (thanks Fred!) on my HF, later switching to the MoJo lever (outstanding piece of gear). This setup yielded tire changes that were relatively quick and easy. I didn't get that far obviously, but I have to wonder if the Cycle Hill clamps tight enough to prevent the rim from turning when using the Mojo, or whether you have to use a strap or rod like the HF. If so, again no advantage to the Cycle Hill machine.

I find it ironic the Cycle Hill machine is more labor-intensive than the HF, at far greater cost. Additionally, I found the "whatsamatta you" attitude a little less than congenial.

The weld on the restraining tab on the motorcycle attachment on my HF finally broke, which started this process. I think I'll get a buddy of mine to weld it back on or drill some holes for a hitch pin or just buy a new one

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just spent several hours trying unsuccessfully to use the Cycle Hill tire changer on my rear wheel. The rim clamps wouldn't hold the rim, and it was a wrestling match to try to get all three clamps on. Even if it worked, this thing requires far more effort than my Harbor Freight machine with no advantage over the HF. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

When I placed the order I told the fella at No-mar I'd be using it for a Goldwing and he said it would be better than the No-mar machines for that purpose; I have a feeling they've never tried this thing on Goldwing wheels.

Save your money: the Harbor Freight tire changer is a much better buy.

Icing on the cake: I sent an email about the return to Cycle Hill/No-mar using the "Contact us" link on the website; I just got this back:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at nomartirechanger.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. vpopmail (#5.1.1)

An impressive experience in every way...
I just changed a rear with my Cycle-hill changer this weekend. The tire was cold, so it was not fun. The wheel stayed in the clamps just fine - I did put a strap on the rim to keep it from spinning when I was using the mount bar.

I pulled off the factory Dunlop and put on a Avon Cobra.

Regarding their customer service - I was blown away! They were super fast, friendly and all communication was good. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

A real report/review is on my to-do list for later today...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had never heard of cyclehilltirechanger.com, but google popped-up quite a bit. Did you try [email protected] ? It seems to be the same folks that run NoMar and, if so, you should be in good hands regarding customer service. By your description, I would suspect that they just don't have their email set-up properly yet. Let us know how you fare, good - bad - or ugly.

Now,. I'm going to the NoMar/CylceHill page and check it out...

prs
Try ebay for the CycleHill changer. They are a couple bucks cheaper than they are on the web site. I ordered, paid with PayPal and had mine in 48 hours.

·
Registered
17,095 Posts
GH1;

Sure sounds like you have progressed through the learning currve with tire GL18 tire changes. The wood blocks are pretty much SOP for NoMar, but I don't even bother to use them any more with the MoJo Lever. The palm of my hand relieves the tire as I push the MoJo one handed. I still have not made to the site to see the "new" changer brand; but unless my HF breaks down totally I will keep it (but having a 2" receiver mount would be nice. I had to weld my HF tab too, the Chineese must be conserving their welding rod supply!

prs

·
Registered
748 Posts
tire changer

2 inch receiver mounts: Buy from Wikco. Works great and fits the HF perfectly.

·
Registered
17,095 Posts
2 inch receiver mounts: Buy from Wikco. Works great and fits the HF perfectly.
Looks alot like a HF unit with better padded jaws and what appears to be a knock-off of Preston Drake's MoJo Lever.

prs

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the other way around: Mitch Patrie copied the Wikco bar and calls it a Mojolever; Wikco didn't sell the bar separately at the time. The Wikco/Mojolever is an outstanding tool which really makes the tire changing process easy even with Goldwing tires.

I guess that's my main gripe with the Cycle Hill tire changer. The No-mar bar won't work with Goldwing tires so they reverted to tire irons, AKA spoonbars, to lever the tires on. That's fine, but I don't see any reason to abandon the Mojolever, and if I'm going to use the Mojolever there's no advantage to the Cycle Hill machine and no justification for the the $400 price tag.

I took another crack at the Cycle Hill yesterday, using blocks to finally be able to secure the wheel in the rim clamps. It's an additional step but all was going well when one of the rim clamps disassembled itself as I tightened it onto the rim. One of the nyloc nuts on the end of the adjuster and/or the adjuster itself stripped so the whole thing flew apart. That was enough for me. Back it goes.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I looked at the NoMar/Cycle Hill and concluded that for the $ the Harbor Freight was a great bang for the buck. After all, the changer itself primarily holds the tire in place. The bar, blocks etc. are the "work" tools. I find the blocks of wood, a good lever like the mojo, and most importantly practice and good technique (and patience) and the jobs is not so bad. It was actually their video, changing a GL tire, that sold me off their product. Also, the bead breaker on the Harbor Freight works great for me. I also used the changer to do my wifes tires on her Passat. Absolute piece of cake, compared to the rear GL1800 tire. Like a warm knife thru butter. The other benefit is that she doesn't think I'm a total idiot for doing my own tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts