GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a cycle mate trailer with the old style (barrel) locks. I can't get the key into the forward lock. Something has it jammed up. I tried a spray lock lube with no change. Anyone ever have this problem? How can I get into the trailer to replace the locks?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried a spray lock lube with no change.
Be patient and let it do it's work, Keep spraying it in and trying gently to rotate the key back and forth a few times about every ten minutes.

If the lock has a little flapper where the key slides in, the push and hold that open with a pocket knife blade point and spray in. The "patience" still applies. :D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you have a key similar to the picture I've attached. Those are very hard to jam. They're also the same ones I have on my CycleMate. When I bought the trailer used, the seller didn't have the keys any longer. Luckily it was unlocked so I could easily replace the old locks.

If the lock lube doesn't work, I think that your only option will be to cut off the locks using an angle grinder or cutting disc on a drill motor. Then you'll be able to pull the lid away from the lock so you can get inside and replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got a cycle mate trailer with the old style (barrel) locks. I can't get the key into the forward lock. Something has it jammed up. I tried a spray lock lube with no change. Anyone ever have this problem? How can I get into the trailer to replace the locks?
Go see a Locksmith?? I think I might like a professional opinion before I got out the power tools.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It may well NOT be the lock that is jammed, it may be the piece inside is caught on something. We have the same trailer with the same locks and there is a hook shaped piece inside that swings into a screw eye to latch the lid when the key is turned. If something (ie: camping gear) is in the way of it swinging back it can jam, particularly if it is a cloth item that has gotten caught in the hook. Try shaking the trailer to move the gear out of the way. Also if the hook is rubbing against the screw eye either at the top or bottom it will jam. Try pressing, or lifting, the lid as you turn the key.

We've had both these problems and those were our solutions. Hope they work for you!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it open by sitting on the lid and pushing from the lid from the rear to the front. The trailer is M/T nothing was hitting the lock inside. It locked just fine when I put it away after a trip in June. Somehow something tweaked the lid. Didn't have time today to figure out what happened.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Been there!

Had the same problem...mine eventually broke. I replaced it with the single lock apparatus...no good...didn't trust it to secure the lid so I installed two latches (from Lowe's) that I can padlock...works great. Good luck with yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts