GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen where these articles have been referenced a number of times, but I didn't find a link to them so apologies if this is a "re-run." These date back to when Honda flew a group of journalists to their test track in advance of the public announcement of the new Wings. Lots of info here and even a video with a sound bite of the exhaust in the CW article.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-tour-motorcycle-review

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review/

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
I've seen where these articles have been referenced a number of times, but I didn't find a link to them so apologies if this is a "re-run." These date back to when Honda flew a group of journalists to their test track in advance of the public announcement of the new Wings. Lots of info here and even a video with a sound bite of the exhaust in the CW article.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2018-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-tour-motorcycle-review

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/24/2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-review/
I think by the end of the day on Jan 15th or the 16th., we should have some posts here on how the new wing performed off the race track and in the “real world.”

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think by the end of the day on Jan 15th or the 16th., we should have some posts here on how the new wing performed off the race track and in the “real world.”

Agreed. I think the long wait leading up to the official announcement and now the long wait for the first new Wings to show up at dealers coupled with the onset of winter has made us all a bunch of rabid dogs waiting for MORE FREAKING INFORMATION!! :smile2::smile2:

Reactions: Zirthimon

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
No doubt the increase in HP/TQ and weight reduction will reap a noticeable performance improvement at the low end. The additonal 11.4% improvement in improved aerodynamics will result in increased performance at the upper end and be a big reason for the increase in fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts

Live from your very own GL1800riders.com Special Reporter Rail . Maybe the 17th on flight home though. :wink2:

·
Registered
296 Posts
No doubt the increase in HP/TQ and weight reduction will reap a noticeable performance improvement at the low end. The additonal 11.4% improvement in improved aerodynamics will result in increased performance at the upper end and be a big reason for the increase in fuel economy.
Agreed. However the reduction in the fuel tank volume to 5.5 gallons was a major reason in my pulling the deposit I had on one, with a subsequent order of a K1600B. The Ducati I had a similar limitation (20L 5.3 gallons) which was annoying at best.

The rear trunk/topcase is removable... sort of. Reportedly 4 hours to complete so even an hour or two is a lot. Additionally, two blanking kits are required at a cost of $500. Why wouldn't one just order the Goldwing (not Tour model) without the topcase? Well, then you don't get the electronic suspension and other bits. With the topcase removed, there is no way to store a helmet; the sidebags are too small to fit pretty much any helmet.

Was able to sit on it at the NY Motorcycle show and get a good look. I have no doubt it will be a quality machine giving lots of trouble free miles, probably less trouble/cost than the BMW. However my business partner put it best, "it has the appeal of a Toyota Camry". For that kind of money I want something that grabs me and puts me in the frame of mind that I don't care if the wife executes a retaliatory 1.5x the cost furniture/jewelry purchase. Unfortunately, the Goldwing in person didn't do it for me. It does look a lot different than in pictures, imo.

Wandered over to the BMW display, saw the K1600B and put an order in with the salesman I met as the show.

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
Agreed. However the reduction in the fuel tank volume to 5.5 gallons was a major reason in my pulling the deposit I had on one, with a subsequent order of a K1600B. The Ducati I had a similar limitation (20L 5.3 gallons) which was annoying at best.

The rear trunk/topcase is removable... sort of. Reportedly 4 hours to complete so even an hour or two is a lot. Additionally, two blanking kits are required at a cost of $500. Why wouldn't one just order the Goldwing (not Tour model) without the topcase? Well, then you don't get the electronic suspension and other bits. With the topcase removed, there is no way to store a helmet; the sidebags are too small to fit pretty much any helmet.

Was able to sit on it at the NY Motorcycle show and get a good look. I have no doubt it will be a quality machine giving lots of trouble free miles, probably less trouble/cost than the BMW. However my business partner put it best, "it has the appeal of a Toyota Camry". For that kind of money I want something that grabs me and puts me in the frame of mind that I don't care if the wife executes a retaliatory 1.5x the cost furniture/jewelry purchase. Unfortunately, the Goldwing in person didn't do it for me. It does look a lot different than in pictures, imo.

Wandered over to the BMW display, saw the K1600B and put an order in with the salesman I met as the show.
The 5.5 gal fuel capacity would not hold me back. I ran all over the country on a 1400 Intruder with a 3.4 gal gas tank. You just have to plan your stops accordingly.

·
Registered
301 Posts

I love the 2018 Camry and almost went and traded my VW GTI for one but decided against it and get the new DCT Wing instead but would have still consider that K1600B if the BMW dealer wasn't so far away. When will you be getting your new BMW dewing?

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

So why are you on this forum bashing the 2018 Goldwing?
BMW forum a little slow??
Do you know the difference between a BMW and a Porcupine?:wink2:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

It appears that from the listing of the bikes you've previously owned, you were probably predestined to owning the Beemer. Please don't misunderstand, that is not a criticism. Its good to have options!

I too have a predisposition, and it's with Honda. Over the years, I've certainly given thought to owning something other than a Wing. But I always come back. At this point in my life, moving to another brand is a decision that doesn't make sense. Over the years, no manufacturer or bike has yet to come close to those things I value in a motorcycle. Between the reliability, comfort and versatility that I have found in the Goldwing, nothing else compares. Then of course, there is the unique cultures of brand ownership that are as different as the bike itself. ("You meet the nicest people on a Honda.") The Wing just fits, and it has since 1978.

I had to decide on whether or not the many positive changes outweigh the negatives that came with the 2018 model, (storage capacity and rear seat changes), or do I live with the the version of the previous year models. In the end, the new model overwhelmingly won out. The 2018 model will no doubt be a significant change, but for me the positives far outweigh the downside.

As I look to the new year, there is a new and long overdue excitement about where and how the journey will take us. It will certainly add to the excitement and renewed feeling of heading out on a new adventure...and isn't that what riding is all about?

Whatever your choice....Its good to have options, options that fit your style.

·
Registered
580 Posts
However my business partner put it best, "it has the appeal of a Toyota Camry".
I can't make any sense out of what you said. Firstly, any vehicle on the planet should aspire to be as good as a Toyota Camry, in my opinion. What point are you trying to make? On one hand your #1 complaint seams to be the size of a gas tank yet on the other you attempt to draw a negative comparison to arguably one of the industries most successful 4 wheeled vehicles.
I get styling taste is subjective but I would wager that the majority would find the 2018 Goldwing much more elegant than the oddly proportioned, whale like BMW.
This I find odd because for the most part, BMW cars a drop dead gorgeous.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I look to the new year, there is a new and long overdue excitement about where and how the journey will take us. It will certainly add to the excitement and renewed feeling of heading out on a new adventure...and isn't that what riding is all about?

Well said. This is precisely how I feel about the coming riding season and beyond! :agree:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If I didn't convert my 2010 into a trike'd machine..........I'd be all over "that" 2018...in a heart beat! I love the looks, I love the new design, I love the weight loss, everything except I wish that Honda increased the engine size, to maybe a 2000 cc engine..............

Ronnie

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
If I didn't convert my 2010 into a trike'd machine..........I'd be all over "that" 2018...in a heart beat! I love the looks, I love the new design, I love the weight loss, everything except I wish that Honda increased the engine size, to maybe a 2000 cc engine..............

Ronnie
Increasing the engine size might reduce fuel mileage. If Honda did that, people would really be moaning and groaning about a 5.5 gal gas tank. >:)>:)

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
It appears that from the listing of the bikes you've previously owned, you were probably predestined to owning the Beemer. Please don't misunderstand, that is not a criticism. Its good to have options!

I too have a predisposition, and it's with Honda.

And so the new model campaign is named "Beyond " for a reason.
I am almost certain there will be bumps in the road beyond , but without bumps technique is not refined. I have zero doubt thus wing will be the best ever ,zero. Maybe not the second it hits the streets , but I am sure it will be in a short time.

Reactions: Crookster

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

Ronnie
I keep seeing a reference to the new wings weight loss.. My 2006 weighs 822 Lbs. When did the GW get so heavy?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/19604/buyers-guide-specs/2006-honda-gold-wing-1800/

·
Love The DCT
12,733 Posts
1 - 20 of 60 Posts