GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Thanks for the pictures..

There have been several tests on the airbag..most done at a 90 degree angle at 45 mph wherein it clearly shows the rider's impact is much less than it would have been had he not had an airbag deployment.

So....anything that may lessen your injury or pain is worth it in this situation, the 1300.00 option will pay for itself in the first 5 minutes you are in the emergency room with an impact like this...so I hope we never need it, but just like a bulletproof vest for a police officer, it is nice to know it is there!

Don't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
G

·
What troubles me is the third picture.
If this car is moving forward after impact, and the cycle rider falls off to his left near the hood of that car, who knows what happen next to the dummy.
Yes, I'm sure in a case like this, I'll also go with the air bag.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,169 Posts
I'm waiting for Honda to come back with yellow. Then I can get the safety of an airbag with the safest color, too.
 

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Joined
·
8,127 Posts
Re: Thanks for the pictures..

Basspro said:
So....anything that may lessen your injury or pain is worth it in this situation, the 1300.00 option will pay for itself in the first 5 minutes you are in the emergency room with an impact like this...so I hope we never need it, but just like a bulletproof vest for a police officer, it is nice to know it is there!

Don't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be nice if Honda would sell you the airbag Wing for only 1300 dollars above the base models price. But you have to spend 4000 dollars more if you want the airbag.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
22,244 Posts
Ya know, I scoffed at the air bag when it was first announced, and while they sure coulda picked a better color for the bag, I am beginning to think that it probably is a good safety device, and could indeed save you in a full on frontal impact.

On the surface it does look sorta silly, but then I never thought they would be able to make ABS brakes work on a bike either, and now I own two that have ABS.

It will be interesting to see if the air bag appears on any other models and how it works in the real world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,391 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I'm waiting for Honda to come back with yellow. Then I can get the safety of an airbag with the safest color, too.
I like the way you think 8)
 

·
Whiny Member
Joined
·
460 Posts
Fred H. said:
Ya know, I scoffed at the air bag when it was first announced, and while they sure coulda picked a better color for the bag, I am beginning to think that it probably is a good safety device, and could indeed save you in a full on frontal impact.

On the surface it does look sorta silly, but then I never thought they would be able to make ABS brakes work on a bike either, and now I own two that have ABS.

It will be interesting to see if the air bag appears on any other models and how it works in the real world.
Fred,

Like everything other 'improvement' there have been the naysayers. We have seat belts, ABS, traction control, all wheel steering, awd and many other innovations that have been poo pooed since their inception. Indeed many still take hits and probably won't be seen on a production car because of cost or just plain enemity from the buying public.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top