GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The April 2009 edition has an article on the rap up of the long-term test of the ZX-14. Article page 72, KAWASAKI ZX-14 Sayonara to the Bullet train.

Quote verbatim:

DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR. POUND for pound, pony for pony, the Kawasaki ZX-14 is one of motorcycling's finest all-around streetbikes, with comfort, power and speed in spades. That is the consensus CW editors reached after living with a Passion Red 2006 model for the past two years.
Kawasaki's reply to the Suzuki Hayabusa, the ZX-14 won Best Open Streetbike honors in our annual Ten Best vote-getting it right out of the box and again the following year. "Big performance generates big headlines," editors noted in 2007, "and no motorcycle created more of a stir last year than the ZX-14." END QUOTE And on it goes for two more pages, so I'll spare you. What a privlege to own a couple of the best of the best and reliable too. In those two years $0 repair costs. Thats what I'm talking about. :cool:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A friend of mine owns one. He's had a bunch of bikes over the last five years, including KTM Adventure, V-Strom, Aprilia, FJR, and now the ZX14. He added a Kawi Versys and now he is thinking of selling the ZX and just keeping the Versys and even taking the Versys on his summer trip. I was surprised because he is definitely a speed junkie but every day trip we go on, he shows up on the Versys. Though he has nothing but good things to say about the ZX also.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Cool!

I sure wish I had a chance to ride one before my friend who has one moved out of town ;)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I would love to test ride a ZX-14.. where I would not have to worry about
getting put in jail for speeding..
I did however did have the pleasure of test riding a Suzuki Hayabusa..
WOW ... what a rush.. things happen in a hurry when you pull the trigger on Suzuki's rocket.. and I also rode a Gixxer... both bikes have enough horsepower to satisfy most speed junkies.. IMHO neither of the above bikes are for a novice rider...

cosmic

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool!

I sure wish I had a chance to ride one before my friend who has one moved out of town ;)

Swipe Barry's Ducati 1198s, ride it up here and we'll swap for while. ;)

·
Registered
5,173 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
It beat the old (Gen 1) Hayabusa. It lost to the new one.

Great bike though. One of my best friends/riding buddies has one.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I put about 10 city blocks on a Busa last Summer. I brought it back knowing that I should not have one. All those ponies in hand would get me hurt. I could handle them, but I know I would be trying stuff I'm too old to do.;)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It is a GREAT bike. As far as "winning or losing" to the Busa, that's based on their priorities, not mine or yours. It's a hair's breadth decision, and depends on what you prefer in terms of smoothness, comfort, handling at the the very edge (where most of us without a $4 million dollar contract will not be riding), etc.

Both fine bikes. A good 600 supersport is hard to beat in the tight stuff, but my big butt really screws up the power/weight ratio on a smaller bike, and I'm done traveling while laying on my nuts.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I put about 10 city blocks on a Busa last Summer. I brought it back knowing that I should not have one. All those ponies in hand would get me hurt. I could handle them, but I know I would be trying stuff I'm too old to do.;)

I admit it - I'm a sissy. I had to sell my FJR1300. I'd kill myself on a ZX-14 or a 'Busa. Plenty of will-power.. but no "won't" power. Ever wonder why those kids ride those sport bikes like that? Because they CAN.

Even the relatively mild-mannered FJR1300 got me in lots of trouble. Do radar guns even register.... up to 155 mph???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts