GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cycledude has made the Steering Stem Socket for awhile now. I purchased the latest stainless steel version from him. He also made a set of stainless steel race setters. I volunteered to test them out for him, here's what I thought when I installed the All Balls tapered bearing set.

There are 3 peices to this tool set:
1. Smaller race set tool for the upper bearing
2. Larger race set tool for the lower bearing
3. Long pipe tool for setting the lower bearing and seal on the steering stem

I'll skip the teardown and removal of the factory bearings (Honda manual and Fred H.'s videos cover that completely).

Placing the bearing race over the hole and using the race setting tool, I tapped it lightly until it was set in the hole. I did not freeze the races as some do. The race setting tool is heavy enough and only took a few hard hits to completly set the races. They went in very smooth and straight. The lower took a bit more time due to the fact that your working upside down. The long pipe pushed the seal and bearing down on the steering stem with just a few light taps.

Cycledude has made some very nice tools for installing the All Balls bearing set. If and when he offers these tools, I reccommend them for a very easy and straight installation.

I put a slideshow together if your interested in the tools, click the link below.

http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k162/ ... 832055.pbw

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Jerome
thanks for telling about the drivers but i cannot get the pictures to work, did the download thing lastnite but it still doesn't work here, i wonder if others are seeing the pictures, it's probably just me because i am a computer idiot

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice tools. Cycledude, its Quicktime video, worked for me. Do you have Quicktime?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cycledude,

I can post the individual pictures here, but it would be a massive post. I have them hosted on photobucket as a slide show. Here's the tools one.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ok I already have the socket tool, how much for the other ones cycledude? You know how it goes, has tools will travel. But it all looks like good items to add to ones tool set.

I will go ahead and start a sign up list, with me being the first of course.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How much for the entire 4 piece set? 8)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm in for a set. Already have the socket tool but am very interested in getting the other three pieces as soon as possible. I am getting ready to down my bike for the All Balls, air filter, installation of Traxxion rear shock, coolant hose checks, clutch fluid change, installation of EC fog lights, LED ground effect lighting, cleaning up previous wiring mess, general cleaning. All in all it should not take more than a couple of days or months depending on how many parts I misplace (I'm getting old and forgetful).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Cycledude,
That is a very good idea.
What are you asking for 2 solid race drivers for the streering tube?
I already have the stem scoket and pipe for the stem post bearing.
Thanks,
edmund

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
OK folks here is the deal
i am working on getting a price set for these drivers from the guys that made them for me, the place that made them is the same place that makes the steering stem sockets, hopefully i will have a price in a few more days, they will probably cost more than lots of folks will want to spend so i am kicking around the idea of renting them out, one problem with that is the shipping, it costs $8.50 to ship the driver tools each way.
what do u think would b a reasonable price that folks would be willing to pay to rent the drivers ? positive or negative i would like to hear whatever u have to say about all this, THANKS

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Let me know asap the price on the set. Have a couple of friends that want to split cost

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did my All Balls installation and I would have probably been willing to pay $50 to rent the tools to make sure it was right. The race tools would have been very nice to have.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Cycledude,
What is going on with this TOOL PROJECT?
Please Let us know one way or another.
thanks,
edmund

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
the price for the bearing drivers is pretty hi, so hi i hate to even tell anyone ! the cost they gave me is $145 for a set , order 5 sets the price would be $95 per set, that doesn't include any shipping or profit for me

i do have 2 complete sets and have been considering renting them out, shipping each way would $8.50 , do u think anyone would b interested in renting ?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
CycleDude.

Lots of folks will rent them. Problem is, you have to set a limit on ow long a guy can hold on to the tools.

Some folks can't wait indefinaitely.

Good luck.

I vote for your tools all the way.

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
since i posted my cost of the drivers only ONE person (kieth) has emailed me saying he would buy a set, would be nice to be able to order 5 sets and get the $50 per set discount, anyone else interested ?

for anyone interested in renting them, how does $23 sound ? i would pay for shipping out and you pay for return shipping $8.50 ????

·
Registered
159 Posts
You have a PM!

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
so far i have 5 people have contacted me saying they will buy a set, Kieth, zg1286,Rick, Herbert and Bo, so now we quallify for the $50 discount, anyone else interested let me know, the machine shop said if i order they will get them done in a week, seems like most times it takes longer than they say, with shipping and a small profit for me your cost will be $120 per set, sound reasonable ? i plan to put in a order Monday

will also rent out the 2 sets i have, shipping takes up to 3 days each way so i would like to be able to have them back in 2 weeks, does that sound reasonable enough ? the cost is $23 and u pay the return shipping which should be another $8.50

1 - 20 of 37 Posts