GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cylinder head rebuilding
What is the cost to rebuild the GL1800 Heads, as the valve guides are worn. Does the motor need to be pulled?

·
IronMan
18,045 Posts
Dont have to pull motor . Check with local garages and see who they use for machine work. Or any racers in area.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Holy cow --- How many miles are on that '06 that you need to do this?

I read so many accounts of 200K + miles on these engines that I thought they were nearly bullet proof...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Sam. This is like groundhog day. But with an evolving storyline with things being revealed along the way.

Long story short- You overfilled this engine with oil after discovering a loose sump bolt and it had lost some oil.
Then you rode and appear to continue to ride it.

For the unaware there are many posts regarding the same problem.
Your posts include ( here-there-and everywhere)
It doesn't blow any smoke.
My bike needs a head job.
it now it dose blow smoke from both sides.
I need new valve guides.
It is using lots of oil - 3/4 of a quart per 4000 miles from memory.
and so on......

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your price may very, but in 2010 my 2003 GL1800 at 470,000 miles was using a little oil had a shop pull both heads new valve seals and lap in the valves all for $400.00 not a big job at all.The motor does not have to come out and they did it in 2 days after I had all the parts ready for them to replace, Hope this helps.

·
Vendor
18,992 Posts
Had a friend of mine burn up a valve due to lack of maintaining clearance at around 90K miles on a 2001 Gold Wing.
It amazes me how owners will not maintain Wings, and then find out why it's so important.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If the valve guides are worn that bad I have to wonder what caused this and what else is as badly worn.
What kind of oil did you use and how often did you change it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for any confusion while I was going trying to figure out the problem and how it started. Since I was just trying to figure out the cost of things for a worse case. Seems head problems are not that frequent and setting the valves clearances is all that is ever done. So aside from having a shop look at it (In shop to have a look next week) it's an all new area study area for me. Last week I didn't know Wings had replaceable valve guides. Seems they do...

$1500 to pull and fix a problem? That is the first number I've heard. Thanks..

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Post #5

Your price may very, but in 2010 my 2003 GL1800 at 470,000 miles was using a little oil had a shop pull both heads new valve seals and lap in the valves all for $400.00 not a big job at all.The motor does not have to come out and they did it in 2 days after I had all the parts ready for them to replace, Hope this helps.

$1500 to pull and fix a problem? That is the first number I've heard. Thanks..

·
Registered
207 Posts
$1,500 must be Honda Dealer price I would find a local speed shop after all I bet the dealer will pull the heads and send them to a local speed shop to do the work now if valves ect... need work then the price will go up a good bit, my old 2003 is still running new owner now has over 620,000 on it's org valves , I did check them every 32,000 then after 200,000 I would only check them every 100,000 always in spec I hope you only need quides it won't be as much as replacing valves,ect

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a lot of miles. If you don't mind who did you come to figure it was the heads? Smoke, power drop or? did you have to just remove the top shelter? Or more? To get at the manifold bolts. SamA

·
Registered
207 Posts
When I would get on it hard at full throttle I would see a little smoke so I ran a compression check the pistons were good then I checked the heads with a leak down test it showed a drop in compression it would only use a small amount of oil between changes I didn't have to add any oil just kept and eye on it. With my mileage, it had to have a valve issues. I did take all the fairing off and gas tank out because I wanted to check the ground wire under the tank and wanted to clean everything I could reach. Also had to remove the timing cover, I used the Honda shop manual and all went well no leaks of any kind after I put it all back together the $400 I spent was just for the machine shop work I know a dealer in my area is $90 per hour. Is yours using much oil and if so how much? You could have a dealer run a compression check and that will tell them whats going on.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks blue, A shop in Portland is going to check it next week, all his wrenches are sick with the Flu. I understand but never had to run those type of tests. I'm hoping that's all it is.. I'll keep updates posted for future reference.

SamA

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes. The $1500 was a Honda dealership price. If you are good with a wrench you could save some money. Me, I would just make matters worse to increase costs. When they got it back together there was a shifting problem. Must have just been a adjustment problem because it was fixed without removing engine.
gumbyred

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In my case Carelessness.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts