GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first found this website there was no "Off Topic" forum. We discussed oil, tires, accessories, and events all on the General forum.
Then other forums popped up when a single topic showed growth potential - the most recent example: GPS/MP3/Electronic motorcycle devices forum.
As for the Off Topic forum, when it opened it was often well worth a visit. However I’ll admit that the religious threads very quickly became a ‘do not read’ for me.
On the other hand, political threads were often amusing in that it was like reading a battle of wits where one side was usually unarmed, relying on a louder voice (e.g. name calling) to try and win a point.
The humour threads often left me laughing out loud, albeit it been only once in every 25 jokes as of late. (Where ya been RRIXX?)
In short I would like to thank everyone for providing hours of entertainment during the winter months, in particular the forum hosts and the posters who provided thoughtful and thought-provoking arguments.
On other forums that I read some have been shut down after a half dozen ‘strong minded’ posters decided to use them for their own soapboxes. However when no anonymous postings are allowed the mud slinging and name-calling are replaced with proper (and often funny) put-downs. Think Winston Churchill’s quotes, especially when he was drinking.
In any event I’ll still make my contributions to the other threads and I’ll still use DirectLine to buy my parts and accessories, but I’ll now have more time to browse the British Aviation forum. Now THOSE guys know how to put some one in their place!
When I first found this website there was no "Off Topic" forum. When I clicked on the website on November 2, 2006 there was no "Off Topic" forum. Déjà vu.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
John

I used to love the OTB but in the last year or so there were just too many critics. It didn't seem to matter what you posted someone jumped all over you. I will miss it but not as much as I would have before the religious zealots and political postings took over.

Rick

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's the same old story, a few ruined it for the rest of us.

I actually enjoyed the humor, and not all of it was in the joke format.

Maybe it will survive in some form or forum.

You heard Yogi say, it's Deja vu, all over again

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
RRIXX said:
John

I used to love the OTB but in the last year or so there were just too many critics. It didn't seem to matter what you posted someone jumped all over you. I will miss it but not as much as I would have before the religious zealots and political postings took over.

Rick
That's been posted before. :lol:

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
iwing said:
RRIXX said:
John

Rick
Why you so and so, I'll come down there, oops up there, and if you're not careful I'll take my sister back!!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Actually John it was there when you joined. You just had to join it separately or you didn't see it on your menu when you signed on. Perhaps that should have been the way it stayed. I won't second guess Hall however. It was getting out of hand and mean. Sometimes insulting just for the heck of it. We can do without it. At least those of us who actually have goldwings. :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
iwing said:
RRIXX said:
John

Rick
No it has not! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now RRIXXie, that's a great idea. I haven't seen my 2 mut brothers in a long, long time. I understand you not wanting to come around me and all since I'm the prettiest of the 3, but that's ok...Mamma loved ya anyway. :wink:

Hey now lookie there at that Ross fella. Try'n to start something with that nice iWing fella. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
5Ross said:
iwing said:
RRIXX said:
John

Rick
No it has not! :lol: :lol:
Yes it has so! :wink:

·
Registered
713 Posts
See. SEE how much fun this is ?? I'm just sittin here smilin at these "come backs". Almost every other topic on the list I've read 30 times before.

Bring the OT board back - SOMEHOW !!!!!

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
chixx said:
Now RRIXXie, that's a great idea. I haven't seen my 2 mut brothers in a long, long time. I understand you not wanting to come around me and all since I'm the prettiest of the 3, but that's ok...Mamma loved ya anyway. :wink:

Hey now lookie there at that Ross fella. Try'n to start something with that nice iWing fella. :mrgreen:
Chixx, Have you ever met that Iwing fella :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, that whole motorcycle gang from Ohio are a good bunch of guys/and gals....

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
When I first came on here one had to register to join the OTB. It seems after it became and open forum it went down hill fast. Could it be by registration only and those who abuse get banned not only from their but all the GL1800 threads, or make it so they can have it by "read only."

Mike

·
Registered
270 Posts
LaMonster said:
Roadking522 said:
See. SEE how much fun this is ?? I'm just sittin here smilin at these "come backs". Almost every other topic on the list I've read 30 times before.

Bring the OT board back - SOMEHOW !!!!!
Here you go http://forums.offtopic.com/
It just seems to lack the same luster.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts