GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO! I'm coming from Minn. mid-June, across Ohio and riding the Blue Ridge Pky. My plan is to spend a day or two in D.C. at monuments and museums, and need advice re: lodging in a far suburb like in VA or Del and riding train or bus into the city for day trips in the Capitol/Mall area. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate it! Dave in MN

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
public transportation in the DC area is quite good. Of course in the city itself you can get just about anywhere on the metro. There are also park and ride stations out in the burbs quite some distance where you can stay, park and then take the metro in. It's inexpensive, safe, and fast.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
once you get downtown, the tram thing is so easy

it offers a pass for the entire day,a nd unlimited rides

also lots of bus trips to mt vernon, arlington, etc

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Dave, try to stay to the west-north-west (sort of towards Leesburg, VA) of the city. I-95 (north and south of the city) and I-66 are plain ugly for about 6 hours per day; 3 hours morning rush, then 3 more during eve. rush. During rush hour I-66 inside the beltway is HOV only, but if you are on a bike, that is the best time to be on that portion of I-66. Give me a call if you want to discuss. Mobile = 703.966.2481.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My recommendation would be to stay in one of the cities on the Washington Beltway (I-95/I-495) or along I-66 outside the Beltway that has a Metro station nearby. Someplace like Vienna or Falls Church, VA would probably be best. From there, you can take the Orange Line Metro to the Smithsonian station. The Smithsonian station puts you right smack dab in the middle of the National Mall. I'll probably regret saying this on such a public forum, but there is limited free parking for motorcycles at many Metro stations - usually near the Kiss and Ride area. Car parking is $3-5, you need a special type of Metro pass and it fills quickly. Bus coverage to and from Metro stations is very good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last year I got a great deal at the Doubletree in Crystal City. Its close to the Pentagon. Ran the metro subways for 6 days. I was worried about the subways. I could not have been more wrong. It was very clean and most people riding were business and military personal. I was impressed by our Nations Capitol. Great experience.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The sub way system can take you most places. I think they have a day pass. I like to go to the monuments at night. You can see all but the inside of washington. Parking is a breeze and no lines. The wall, korean and WWII are something else at night.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You could stay in Silver Spring, MD, just inside the Washington 495 beltway. There is a Metro station (the Red line) that goes downtown.

Or you could stay in College Park or Greenbelt, there is a New Carrollton Metro station (the Orange line) on the 495 Washington Beltway that goes downtown.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If your into the Civil War at all you could stay in Manassas, VA. right off of rte 66 about 40 minutes from DC. The battlefield of the First and Second Battles of Manassas are pretty cool, if thats your thing. You can catch a VRE train (virginia railway express) right into Union Station in the heart of the city. You can also catch the VRE train out of Fredricksburg, VA. which is about 1 hour south of DC off of interstate 95. Traffic in the area m-f is a bitch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We live in Rockville, MD about 18 miles from the downtown monuments in DC.
We have lived here for about 40 years and know the area very well.
Let us know if you need any assistance.

Scott & Robyn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts