GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the tech board is the right spot for this rant. First I do not want to get something statrted this is FYI only and is not intended to be a bash job.

I have a 06 Wing and at 2K I noticed the dreaded wobble but not bad, found the front tire cupping at 41 psi (D250). Spoke with my dealer and the service department said they could not help.

Well Dunlop and my self have been in a e-mail exchange for some time. Dunlop says to return to the dealer but the dealer says what warranty? during this time I am riding like I stole it and now have 5800 miles and no doubt worn more than is allowed for replacement.

Well the second e-mail from Dunlop says take it back to my dealer and I say the one that does not know about your warranty. This goes on and on then I asked about the E3's and have they stopped production. Dunlop says that they are still making E3's ? and that there are thousands of D250's.

So I ask will they tell me where to take the tires so that could be looked at for warranty, no answer, so I ask do you want me to ship them to Dunlop direct and then they can ship me a new set (ha ha).

I have a new set of Avon's to be mounted this Thursday (only took 2 days) and if Dunlop does not take the old tires back I guess I will have a emergency spare set.

Sorry for the rant but what ever happened to a straight answer and customer service. I guess Dunlop has gotten so big they do not worry about the little stuff.

Well I feel better now.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Old,

Pretty frustrating, huh? Sorry to say, that attitude is more and more prevelant now-a-days. It's typical that Dunlop doesn't care much about the individual consumer... most big companies don't. If HD or Honda had a problem, they'd be Johnny on the Spot. You and me, forget it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have them mounted Thursday and I will give a report in a couple of days. I think it is the tires because I did not start with a wobble but we will see.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Old Grumpy said:
I hope the tech board is the right spot for this rant. First I do not want to get something statrted this is FYI only and is not intended to be a bash job.

I have a 06 Wing and at 2K I noticed the dreaded wobble but not bad, found the front tire cupping at 41 psi (D250). Spoke with my dealer and the service department said they could not help.

Well Dunlop and my self have been in a e-mail exchange for some time. Dunlop says to return to the dealer but the dealer says what warranty? during this time I am riding like I stole it and now have 5800 miles and no doubt worn more than is allowed for replacement.

Well the second e-mail from Dunlop says take it back to my dealer and I say the one that does not know about your warranty. This goes on and on then I asked about the E3's and have they stopped production. Dunlop says that they are still making E3's ? and that there are thousands of D250's.

So I ask will they tell me where to take the tires so that could be looked at for warranty, no answer, so I ask do you want me to ship them to Dunlop direct and then they can ship me a new set (ha ha).

I have a new set of Avon's to be mounted this Thursday (only took 2 days) and if Dunlop does not take the old tires back I guess I will have a emergency spare set.

Sorry for the rant but what ever happened to a straight answer and customer service. I guess Dunlop has gotten so big they do not worry about the little stuff.

Well I feel better now.

Just wondering, why do you and others on this board run 41 psi in the front when Honda recommends only 36 psi front and 41 rear????

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was advised by my dealer and several members of this board that 41 psi is the best for preventing cupping.

I got my Avon's installed today WOW!!!! No wobble and sticks to the road. I put 250 miles on them today and I was impressed. The wobble is 99% gone. I still feel something and my tire guy said the head bearings needed to be adj to spec. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
tires

My dealer told me that a Dunlop Rep advised him to run 4 lbs more air in the tires than Honda recommended 45PSI ??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I work for a dealership and would recommend calling Dunlop at 800-548-4714. You can talk to a tech person, tell him about your problem and explain that your dealer refuses to call Dunlop and ask about possible warranty on your tire.

Dunlop prefers to have customers bring their bike to a dealer for initial inspection before having the tire shipped to them for final determination on warranty. I have had them do everything from awarding a new tire, to covering half the cost of a new one, to denying coverage altogether.

You might ask them to give you a return authorization number you can present to your dealer so that they can ship your tire back to Dunlop for inspection. This may convince your less than helpful local dealer that Dunlop indeed will consider your warranty claim if they would give a little effort to help you out.

I hope this helps you get an answer one way or another.

Good luck and Ride Safe!!

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've heard cupping described and still am not exactly sure what to look for. Anyone have pictures?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dunlops 250/Bridgestones

My wobble was so bad at 34-39 mph my front was all over the place. yes I had kept the air as noted 41 front and 41 rear....

I only had 8700 miles on the tires, stock tires from when I purchased bike.

Cupping on the tire, hills and valleys.

I replaced with the BridgeStones and my wobble is gone, and I like the fact that the stones stick much better than stock dunlops 250's.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my tire installer has my Dunlop's and the Parts Unlimited rep will look at the tires and make a request to Dunlop if he thinks it is a covered defect. Hope I get a set or a discount on a set when they become availiable. The Dunlop rep stated that there is no shortage of D250's but I have not seen them. Not that I wanted another set.

The tire shortage or what ever you want to call it add Avon's to the back order list as of last Thursday. It is a spot shortage for right now.

Report on the new Avon R's great tire so far. I have about 500 miles on them they are smooth and quite compaired to the Dunlop D250's and a lot more traction. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
MNwing said:
I've heard cupping described and still am not exactly sure what to look for. Anyone have pictures?
I'd like to see somes pics also of cupping :?:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts