GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D250 vs E3 Edit:(Update on worn tire)

I already know that the E3 is crap. That's what I have used the past 2 front tires. Is the D250 any better, or is it just a slippery? The dealers around here all stock the D250 but nobody carries the Bridgestone, which is what I really want. If you guys say the 250 is crap too, I will just have to order a Stone.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
:doorag:Stones. I get mine from HAL and have a local person put them on.:p
What's wrong with the local person making a little profit on the tire??? If the local guy is good enough to mount the tire, he should be good enough to sell it. There's no way I would buy a steak at Kroger's and go to the local steak house and ask them to cook it. It might save a couple of bucks, but I couldn't stoop low enough to do it. IMHO

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks for the input. I think the E3 is a scary tire, especially in the 2nd half of its life. I can't wait to get back to a Bridgestone. I only considered the D250 because I have never tried one on the front, and the higher mileage was appealing.

FWIW, I prefer to give my local shops my business whenever possible, as long as their prices are in line. A store front has much more overhead than an Internet site, so I expect to pay a little more. Since I live in Ohio, I have to pay sales tax when buying from Directline anyway, so there is no benefit there. The local shops are only $20 higher than Hal's sale price for the Stone, and can have it next day. And in the case of tires, if I get a defective one, it is much less of a hassle buying it local.

Also , I have bought many things from Hal over the years, but I have learned to never order anything that I am in a hurry for, especially during a sale. It sould be 3 days or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The D250 has a solid groove right down the middle that likes to catch ridges in the road. If you ever have ridden on a grooved freeway on one, it can be downright scary. I like my E3. It has 22,000 miles on it, but will get replaced soon. I do not ride in the rain, if I can help it though. We all know it "never rains in Southern California".

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The D250 has a solid groove right down the middle that likes to catch ridges in the road. If you ever have ridden on a grooved freeway on one, it can be downright scary. I like my E3. It has 22,000 miles on it, but will get replaced soon. I do not ride in the rain, if I can help it though. We all know it "never rains in Southern California".
22,000? Holy smokes. I only got about 14K out of mine, and I was pleased, since I only get 10K out of a Stone. The tire is completely bald on the left side. (I wear out tires on the left side for some odd reason.)

·
Registered
566 Posts
My ride to work is all on straight roads. It sounds like you make a lot of left turns :lol: or else the roads are just crowned a lot where you live.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A sheep? :lol: With all the complaints about delaminating with the Metz, I am more than a little reluctant Laen. I guess if somebody around here stocked them, I might give one a try, but I won't go out of my way to order one.

John, They are a bit slippery in the rain, but my biggest complaint about the E3 is how they handle tar snakes in turns. the Bridestone barely reacts to them unless they are very thick and it is a very hot day. With the E3 I have had my bike slide out on me dozens of times, even when not being aggressive, regardless of temperature. It's like hitting an oil slick. It scares the crap out of me to have the bike slide like that. Plus, with both E3's that I had, when they started to cup, the handlebars would wobble badly during tight turns at parking lot speeds. I don't think there was every a risk of going down, but it does have a tendency to take away your confidence in tight maneuvers. The Stones cup too, but they never caused the bike to wobble like that.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I get noisy turns, but my handlebars don't wobble.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My ride to work is all on straight roads. It sounds like you make a lot of left turns :lol: or else the roads are just crowned a lot where you live.
My ride to work is generally straight, but on the way home, I almost always hit the twisties. And we are not talking about just a little to the left of center here. I mean they are worn way over to the left, so it isn't a crown issue. I even sat down and drew out the route I take to and from work and couldn't come to a definite conclusion, other than the fact that I seem to have more confidence when riding aggressive in left turns than right.

Here is a picture of a comparison of the left and right side of my last rear tire, to see how far over my tires wear. The weird thing is that this problem didn't happen to any of my Bridgestones. I can't explain it. These two pictures are of the same tire taken on the same day.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's the weirdest thing I ever saw. You weren't exagerating!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And no, I have never been to Daytona.:lol:

I have even carefully checked the alignment of the bike, even though there is no way an alignment could cause tire wear that severe.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Almost looks like the softer rubber compound on the sides was way to soft on the left side!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts