GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to misfortune, so I thought, I was forced to put a Harley Davidson tire D407 on the rear wheel after my E3 separated. HD dealer was only place open in remote mountain area at the time. However, the tire has lasted 29,000 miles - far past the E3's I have put on my bike. The width is slightly different, but the mileage is incredible.
Anyone have insight into this? The HD dealership I took it to to replace the 407 said, the other dealer should have never put that on my bike and that they will not touch it NOR sell me the tire for me to take somewhere else. I can buy it online but am a little worried that I might be damaging my wing in someway. Any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The tire is very close to the same size of the GL OEM tire, same rim size and rated for slightly more load, however it is a Bias tire and not a Radial as the wing is designed for.

·
IronMan
17,162 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE SAME THING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE DARKSIDE TIRES - IF DOT APPROVED N WEIGHT LIMITS ARE OK ( 29,000 TEST ON IT ) WOULDNT BE AFRAID TO BUY IF HAPPY WITH ! HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MUFFLERS YET :wrong: :lol:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Make sure that Harley dealer never gets any of your money for anything. I have a few places around me that will not ever get any of my money.
I'm like unclejohn; you have 29000 miles of real world testing without any problems!
i will say that years ago my dad put a pair of bias ply rear tires on his pickup instead of radials and that was a BIG problem-- that truck took both hands and staying very alert to drive it until he finally changed the rear tires......-----but you have not had any thing like this happen.

·
Love The DCT
11,511 Posts
Due to misfortune, so I thought, I was forced to put a Harley Davidson tire D407 on the rear wheel after my E3 separated. HD dealer was only place open in remote mountain area at the time. However, the tire has lasted 29,000 miles - far past the E3's I have put on my bike. The width is slightly different, but the mileage is incredible.
Anyone have insight into this? The HD dealership I took it to to replace the 407 said, the other dealer should have never put that on my bike and that they will not touch it NOR sell me the tire for me to take somewhere else. I can buy it online but am a little worried that I might be damaging my wing in someway. Any info on this would be appreciated.
The Dunlop D407 rear tire for HD's is a bias ply, multi compound tire with a harder tread in the center for long mileage, and softer side tread for increased grip when cornering. It has a load capacity of 1019 lbs at 42 psi and the tread depth when new is 10/32 inch. It comes in several sizes, 180/65B 16, and 180/55B 18 are the bias ply sizes. The radial sizes are 170/60R 17, 200/50R 18, 200/55R 17, and 240/40R 18.

The D408 is the new front tire for HD's. It replaces the D407F front tire which had a "reversed" tread direction compared to the D408. This caused uneven wear and the tires were replaced on a pro rated basis with the D408 front tire.

The D407 is the rear tire that came with my RGU. At 12K miles, I have approximately 2/3 rds of the tread left. For a bias ply tire, it performs well in both dry and wet conditions. :doorag:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The tire is very close to the same size of the GL OEM tire, same rim size and rated for slightly more load, however it is a Bias tire and not a Radial as the wing is designed for.
Thanks for the info. Although I always believed that running a bias and radial tire together is a recipe for disaster my E3 on the front and this 407 on the rear have chartered 119 miles of a 34 F blizzard and nearly 20 miles of blinding driving rain and hail with no indication of trouble, not to mention more than 2045 miles of "normal storms" on a recent CC trip. Do you think unknowingly I am damaging my wing in some way - vibration / harmonics / alignment by doing this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOUNDS LIKE SAME THING PEOPLE SAY ABOUT THE DARKSIDE TIRES - IF DOT APPROVED N WEIGHT LIMITS ARE OK ( 29,000 TEST ON IT ) WOULDNT BE AFRAID TO BUY IF HAPPY WITH ! HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MUFFLERS YET :wrong: :lol:
Admittedly, I am a little nervous not knowing all I can, but you are probably right. Why do you ask about the mufflers? At 60k so far, I wear the OEM furnished stock units.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Dunlop D407 rear tire for HD's is a bias ply, multi compound tire with a harder tread in the center for long mileage, and softer side tread for increased grip when cornering. It has a load capacity of 1019 lbs at 42 psi and the tread depth when new is 10/32 inch. It comes in several sizes, 180/65B 16, and 180/55B 18 are the bias ply sizes. The radial sizes are 170/60R 17, 200/50R 18, 200/55R 17, and 240/40R 18.

The D408 is the new front tire for HD's. It replaces the D407F front tire which had a "reversed" tread direction compared to the D408. This caused uneven wear and the tires were replaced on a pro rated basis with the D408 front tire.

The D407 is the rear tire that came with my RGU. At 12K miles, I have approximately 2/3 rds of the tread left. For a bias ply tire, it performs well in both dry and wet conditions. :doorag:
Do you think I should put the new D408 AND the D407 when I finally do get someone to sell them to me?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts