GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i think an owl brand gear readout may be better for a wing

it replaces the left speaker, and the led is hidden

its plug and go

this dakota looks a bit hard to mount on the wing, and the chrome looks out of place againt the black dash

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I thought all premium modern motorcycles came from the factory with electronic shift position indicators?
Aparently not so because the very best one does not.

W

·
0 Posts
The Dakota is a gear calculator - it uses engine speed (tachometer signal) and vehicle speed (speed sensor signal) to determine gear after you've programmed it. This means that it isn't useful for the one thing I find most important about a gear indicator - making sure you're in 1st when stopped. The Dakota shows "0" when the bike isn't moving.

The Air Rider, Owl, and Dave's Cycle gear indicators make use of the gear position switch on the GL engine. It provides ground on different wires for all gear positions except 1st (if no ground on any signal wire then assume 1st gear). This means no programming and an accurate indication regardless of speed.

The Air Rider unit is nice if you can use the one that goes in the panel below the right pocket (non-nav bikes) but the one that replaces the left pocket door with a cheap panel isn't something I'd want to have on my bike. The Dave's Cycle indicator is very nicely designed (I have it on both 1500s) but I don't like the way the 1800 version blocks the upper portion of the speedometer. So, I guess I'll be getting the Owl version as soon as I can get permission from "she who must be obeyed".

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The Dakota is a gear calculator - it uses engine speed (tachometer signal) and vehicle speed (speed sensor signal) to determine gear after you've programmed it. This means that it isn't useful for the one thing I find most important about a gear indicator - making sure you're in 1st when stopped. The Dakota shows "0" when the bike isn't moving.

The Air Rider, Owl, and Dave's Cycle gear indicators make use of the gear position switch on the GL engine. It provides ground on different wires for all gear positions except 1st (if no ground on any signal wire then assume 1st gear). This means no programming and an accurate indication regardless of speed.

The Air Rider unit is nice if you can use the one that goes in the panel below the right pocket (non-nav bikes) but the one that replaces the left pocket door with a cheap panel isn't something I'd want to have on my bike. The Dave's Cycle indicator is very nicely designed (I have it on both 1500s) but I don't like the way the 1800 version blocks the upper portion of the speedometer. So, I guess I'll be getting the Owl version as soon as I can get permission from "she who must be obeyed".
Good information but I am beginning to think that I will just learn to do without.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts