GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the pleasure of riding some of the twists and turns in the hills east of Phoenix Az. I tipped over in a parking lot and damaged my right mirror painted surface. The worse thing is the damage to self esteem and embarrassment.
While I have removed the right mirror I am concerned on how it comes apart. I need to replace the painted portion as well as the bracket. Parts purchased from Niehaus Honda (Char and others are very helpful) are to arrive today.
Thanks in advance - humbled and humiliated, John

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
Hate to hear that out new model guard bars failed to save your pieces/parts. Rats!

I suggest Fred's video series for demonstration/instruction regarding body parts removal.

prs

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No useful crash bar guards would have protected. Steep hill downwards and to the right downward. Bike tipped beyond bars. Had it been flat pavement they would have worked as expected.

While I am aware of owners service manual, Fred's video and dealer expertise, I was hopeful someone might share their knowledge about the mirror disassembly such that I could minimize my expense. Some folks may have unlimited funds however I don't and I was looking to keep the repair cost down to a minimum. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your comment about the mirror is now gone, so don't know if you found the answer or not but in case...

When I changed my white mirror housings to black, I was also confused about the reflective mirror part. Turns out it literally pops in and out. Once out you can access the screws for the rest of the housing.

·
Registered
8,751 Posts
I had the pleasure of riding some of the twists and turns in the hills east of Phoenix Az. I tipped over in a parking lot and damaged my right mirror painted surface. The worse thing is the damage to self esteem and embarrassment.
While I have removed the right mirror I am concerned on how it comes apart. I need to replace the painted portion as well as the bracket. Parts purchased from Niehaus Honda (Char and others are very helpful) are to arrive today.
Thanks in advance - humbled and humiliated, John

Sorry to hear, maybe Cruiseman has a video.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your comment about the mirror is now gone, so don't know if you found the answer or not but in case...

When I changed my white mirror housings to black, I was also confused about the reflective mirror part. Turns out it literally pops in and out. Once out you can access the screws for the rest of the housing.
I suspected that mirror pulls away. Thank you for confirmation. Did you yank from Top or Bottom? they are different on bracket and didn't want to damage anything else. Again, Thank you.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Hate to hear that out new model guard bars failed to save your pieces/parts. Rats!

I suggest Fred's video series for demonstration/instruction regarding body parts removal.

prs
No useful crash bar guards would have protected. Steep hill downwards and to the right downward. Bike tipped beyond bars. Had it been flat pavement they would have worked as expected.

I had to replace a mirror on an 1832 for the same reason.

Tipped on an unlevel location, and rolled beyond the bars.

(bike was not leaning on sidestand as much as normal, and gust of wind caught it
-- I wasn't fast enough; saw it in the corner of my eye, but all I could do was watch :frown2:)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Check out Cruiseman videos when he is installing homelink or fog lights. One of the first things he does is remove the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The mirror itself unclips (yank it) at bottom and then you lift the bottom, lowering the mirror to unclip the top from the bracket. Appreciate the help here very much. Thank you again. My bike will look almost new again.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Word of caution, if you are going to removed the mirror assembly, after you pull the rubber boot up, stuff the hole before you remove any screw.....that is a very special hole that on all wings contains an assortment of parts to never be seen again.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bayrec, I am curious. Did the bike tip over unobstructed, thus hitting the pavement with full force, or were you able to slow it down?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just finished my paint job, my wing was black now is Perl White. I made the photos it’s showing how the right mirror looks inside

Attachments

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love this site - helpful folks, great ideas, and experience. I was pulling out of an elevated parking lot. The ramp down was steep and short. Vision of traffic on street was obstructed. I was inching forward to where I could see traffic was clear. From a stop, I was ready to pull out and started to roll (perhaps a foot) when a pedestrian moved towards my path causing me to hit brakes again. Unfortunately my legs were too short to reach ground and down I went in front of a large crowd. While I have picked up my bike there was no way I was strong enough to lift it uphill. A couple strangers helped me get it upright again. Lesson learned - in such conditions, I should have asked passenger to get off and look for traffic and signal me when it was clear. Stupid mistake. Parts are now replaced and looks great again. Soon my memories of the mishap will fade.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
I feel your pain-some of life's lessons are tough-first you are given the test and then you learn the lesson-ouch. Glad you were not injured on top of the embarrassment. Now get out there and enjoy the Bike and the Ride!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Shaken not Stirred and Rueben 77 - very helpful. Thank you. I might still be circling the bike and scratching my head.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The mirror itself unclips (yank it) at bottom and then you lift the bottom, lowering the mirror to unclip the top from the bracket. Appreciate the help here very much. Thank you again. My bike will look almost new again.
Ayup, that's the ticket. Glad you figured it out before I had a chance to reply, sounds like you're on the road to the bike being back to normal!

And no worries on the ego due to the tip over, anybody that saw you has already forgotten. haha... Not to mention it happens to the best of us at some point or another. ;)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
There are those whose bike has already tipped over.

There are those whose bike will tip over in the future.

Finally, there are liars!

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
love this site - helpful folks, great ideas, and experience. I was pulling out of an elevated parking lot. The ramp down was steep and short. Vision of traffic on street was obstructed. I was inching forward to where i could see traffic was clear. From a stop, i was ready to pull out and started to roll (perhaps a foot) when a pedestrian moved towards my path causing me to hit brakes again. Unfortunately my legs were too short to reach ground and down i went in front of a large crowd. While i have picked up my bike there was no way i was strong enough to lift it uphill. A couple strangers helped me get it upright again. Lesson learned - in such conditions, i should have asked passenger to get off and look for traffic and signal me when it was clear. Stupid mistake. Parts are now replaced and looks great again. Soon my memories of the mishap will fade.

and the pedestrian is still alive???? Lol!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts