GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious what my fellow forum participants think about my situation...

I recently picked up a screw in the rear tire of my 2018 Goldwing Tour. I had one of the local Honda dealers replace both tires... I only have about 7500 miles on the tires and some life left in them but decided to replace both.

When complete, I noticed two big "gashes" in the rear wheel. These were not "scratches" but rather areas with missing metal. The service manager came out and inspected... and said "what can we do"... and I said "replace w/ a new rear wheel".

Mgr went inside and checked price based on my VIN. He then said ... "are you sure it wouldn't be ok if we just had the wheel painted"? I said no, I want a new wheel.

It is a $25K motorycle and I have never had wheels damaged on any of my other bikes by other dealers when the bike was so new. (the front wheel looks fine)

My friend, who also rides a Goldwing, said that he thought my request was unreasonable and suggested maybe I should have asked that they comp my service instead. This was before they came back and agreed to buy a new rear wheel.

What do you guys think? Would you request the same or is it unreasonable?

BTW -- A new wheel is on its way and should arrive in 3-5 days.

BTW2 - There is about 4 Honda dealerships in my general area. Not going to say which dealer. They ARE replacing the wheel which is what I asked for.

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just curious what my fellow forum participants think about my situation...

I recently picked up a screw in the rear tire of my 2018 Goldwing Tour. I had one of the local Honda dealers replace both tires... I only have about 7500 miles on the tires and some life left in them but decided to replace both.

When complete, I noticed two big "gashes" in the rear wheel. These were not "scratches" but rather areas with missing metal. The service manager came out and inspected... and said "what can we do"... and I said "replace w/ a new rear wheel".

Mgr went inside and checked price based on my VIN. He then said ... "are you sure it wouldn't be ok if we just had the wheel painted"? I said no, I want a new wheel.

It is a $25K motorycle and I have never had wheels damaged on any of my other bikes by other dealers when the bike was so new. (the front wheel looks fine)

My friend, who also rides a Goldwing, said that he thought my request was unreasonable and suggested maybe I should have asked that they comp my service instead. This was before they came back and agreed to buy a new rear wheel.

What do you guys think? Would you request the same or is it unreasonable?

BTW -- A new wheel is on its way and should arrive in 3-5 days.

Thanks.
New Wheel Please, And find someone else to change the next one.
JMO

PBR

·
Registered
422 Posts
*Replace* if the damage is not just aesthetic

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
They would be buying me a new rear wheel. No question about it.

And don't ever take it back there again....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am often asked why I change my own tires, and I smile and state if anyone is going to damage my bike I always prefer it's me. It will be a good lesson learned for the new kid changing tires in the shop :). I bet when they change the wheel out that the new tire changer is going to be supervised and better trained as they don't want to buy a second wheel. The shop knows they need to buy you another wheel, good to see they didn't hassle you, it comes down to poor training and supervision, they will be extra careful next time. -Jim

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would agree with everyone here, new wheel. Aside from the cosmetics, you really don't know if there are any spider cracks in the metal that could get worse over time and cause additional problems.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Aside from the cosmetics, you really don't know if there are any spider cracks in the metal that could get worse over time and cause additional problems.
This is why it needs to be a new wheel. My life is worth more than them saving money on their mistake.

If any dealer gives you any grief, ask them if they “patch” motorcycle tires? I bet they don’t — because of the liability.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dealer put a nice long gouge in my Valkyrie's rear chrome wheel. I wasn't happy, but didn't think getting a new wheel was quite right either. I accepted a free mounting. At least it is the rear wheel. That dealer seems to screw up all the time. They won't be doing my brake recall service. (BTW, Honda shop on Wyoming).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Did you discover the damage or was it pointed out to you by the service people? I can understand mistakes happening, and while I would be upset, a new wheel would take care of the issue. If I had to find it and they were hoping it would be long enough for them to get away with it that would be an entirely separate conversation. When I went in to get my replacement wheel, I would ask the service manager to allow me to observe from a safe distance, and when the new one was installed, he and I would inspect the Wing together. once all was ok, that is when he would learn he had lost a customer forever due to the dishonesty of his personnel. You did mention there are 3 other Honda shops available to you.

·
Registered
19,250 Posts
I too would have gotten a new wheel. If it's no big deal the dealer can be happy with the scuffed up wheel

·
Registered
175 Posts
Let’s be realistic.

It’s obviously best that they replace the wheel as they should. However, mistakes happen and a dealership that doesn’t try to hid a mistake and offers a no hassle replacement, just might be the perfect dealership for me. It gives me confidence that if something goes wrong (deep inside, unseen) they will make it right. IMO. If my dealership respects me, than I should have confidence to return. But I must say, a much less offense such as greasy fingerprints all over my wing is a highly good reason NOT to go back.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I took my R1100RS years ago to Bobs BMW for some routine mtc. and on the test ride, the tech dropped it in the parking lot at about 15mph. They replaced every single piece that was damaged without question down to the top of the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebar that had a slight scratch.

Probably 20 pieces in all replaced. It happens.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I noticed that removing the rear wheel of the 2018 requires some gentleness because the rim can get scratched from the wheel studs.
I will make sure I tell them not to scratch them, and also check that mine are not scratched after I get a new tire installed.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I don't think there's really a question here. You break it, you pay for it. His shop screwed up your perfect wheel, and you deserve a perfect--not repaired--wheel back. If there's an issue about who's paying for the new wheel, the guy who dinged the original wheel should be on the hook. The dealer shouldn't be making this your problem.

That said, what would you have done if you had changed the tire and you had scarred your own wheel? Given the damage, would you have made yourself buy yourself a new wheel? Or would you have had it repainted?

Depending on the objective damage, the dealer might not lose any money on this anyway. If the damage isn't that bad, he can have the wheel repainted and sell it as a used part. Lots of guys like to have a spare wheel around and, again depending on the buyer's assessment of the actual damage, would be happy to get it at a major discount.

Actually, having to be without my bike while the original, damaged wheel was at the paint shop for who knows how long would be as big a deal to me as anything else and a reason, by itself, to insist on a new wheel while I rode the scratched original home and awaited the arrival of the new wheel.

I'd have been happy if he simply swapped a wheel off a new, unsold bike on his showroom floor and let me ride away, him dealing with all that hassle later.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think it looks cosmetic - I might have opted for stickers to hide damage (as if I ever see the rear wheel unless I am washing it) plus free install on the next set of tires. It looks scratched rather than stressed.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
They would be buying me a new rear wheel. No question about it.

And don't ever take it back there again....
Id have them replace it as well, but they owned it and replaced it. Id say they did what they shouldve done and not tried to weasel out of it. Id recommend them as a dealer. mistakes happen. theyll learn from this one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts