GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GL1800 2006. Rider hit rocky material and a large piece hit the belly pan directly on one of the 4 case flange/bolts on the bottom of engine. These bolts have a lip that extends below the base of the engine and this lip caused the bolt to bend and now leaks drops of oil around the head of the bolt. (6mx35m) No. 38 on microfiche. Does anyone know of some material that could be packed around the shaft of a new bolt to help seal the leak when torqued back in. It appears when the bolt bent upwardly, the head may have also scored the mating surface. This might need a light, counterbore finish to smooth out any imperfection and/or possibly some sort of mini crush washer or fiber washer on the bolt head as well. Looking for thoughts on this problem.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Teflon tape or teflon sealant? "Permatex" makes all kinds of sealers. Check out an autoparts store

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
A photo would better help me understand the problem.

If the head of the bolt is bent, simply putting in a new bolt may be enough to fix the leak since the head will now be flush against the case. But if the case is scored like you mentioned, then I think I like the idea of the copper or fiber washer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts