GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding on a lonely east Kentucky road last Sunday I felt and heard a fairly solid impact onto or into the front cowl area. Stopped to check and noted no obvious damage. About 45 miles later I began smelling coolant odor. Did not relate the odor to the previous impact. Over the next 100+ miles I kept noticing the odor on occasion and realized it was trouble. Stopped and checked my coolant recovery tank and it was at the upper mark; some tiny aqua-marine spots were on my right head cover. Close to home then, so in the garage I noticed a drip to front right center area and lots of little blue-green speckles on bike. The hot recovery tank level still normal. As soon as the bike began to cool the slow drip stopped.

Hopefull for a simple failed radiator cap or loose clamp I began cleaning the spot and getting a closer inspection. The inside surface of the RT radiator looked near perfect. A few bugs and leaves and a BIG triangular piece of old fashioned headlamp glass! The glass triangle is nearly 9mm thick, the legs of the triangle about 24mm each and very sharp all about the edges and points. Yet, no obvious damage to the fins to notice on the inner side and no coolant or coolant stain on the inside. So, I remove the RT cowl and inner RT cowl, the RT air dam and drop the fan to see the radiator. Coolant leak found in next to upper radiator passage about 50mm from rear edge. Can not see the damage, just the damp coolant and stain. Damage must be on inner side, just to dark and cramped to see with radiator in the bike.

Option one, add cooling system sealant; NO. Opton two, ride or tow to Schroaders ( a pretty long trip for me). Option three, buy a new radiator for about 4 to 5 "C" notes and fix it correctly; BINGO. To remove/replace the radiator, there is quite a bit more tear down, so new air filter, and tiding-up of road dust "in there" will also be done. ETA for the new radiator is 5 to 8 days.

prs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Warning- silicant type of sealer can cause leak IF the water pump seal is still design as the GL1500. I used normal Preston's green antifreeze in the SE that I had. Right after changing it, went to Daytona bike week from east TN. It developed a leak out the water pump tale-tale hole. Changed pump and used Dexcool. So be cautious what sealant you choose.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Warning- silicant type of sealer can cause leak IF the water pump seal is still design as the GL1500. I used normal Preston's green antifreeze in the SE that I had. Right after changing it, went to Daytona bike week from east TN. It developed a leak out the water pump tale-tale hole. Changed pump and used Dexcool. So be cautious what sealant you choose.
Reading through his post, he is NOT using sealant.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,596 Posts
Riding on a lonely east Kentucky road last Sunday I felt and heard a fairly solid impact onto or into the front cowl area. Stopped to check and noted no obvious damage. About 45 miles later I began smelling coolant odor. Did not relate the odor to the previous impact. Over the next 100+ miles I kept noticing the odor on occasion and realized it was trouble. Stopped and checked my coolant recovery tank and it was at the upper mark; some tiny aqua-marine spots were on my right head cover. Close to home then, so in the garage I noticed a drip to front right center area and lots of little blue-green speckles on bike. The hot recovery tank level still normal. As soon as the bike began to cool the slow drip stopped.

Hopefull for a simple failed radiator cap or loose clamp I began cleaning the spot and getting a closer inspection. The inside surface of the RT radiator looked near perfect. A few bugs and leaves and a BIG triangular piece of old fashioned headlamp glass! The glass triangle is nearly 9mm thick, the legs of the triangle about 24mm each and very sharp all about the edges and points. Yet, no obvious damage to the fins to notice on the inner side and no coolant or coolant stain on the inside. So, I remove the RT cowl and inner RT cowl, the RT air dam and drop the fan to see the radiator. Coolant leak found in next to upper radiator passage about 50mm from rear edge. Can not see the damage, just the damp coolant and stain. Damage must be on inner side, just to dark and cramped to see with radiator in the bike.

Option one, add cooling system sealant; NO. Opton two, ride or tow to Schroaders ( a pretty long trip for me). Option three, buy a new radiator for about 4 to 5 "C" notes and fix it correctly; BINGO. To remove/replace the radiator, there is quite a bit more tear down, so new air filter, and tiding-up of road dust "in there" will also be done. ETA for the new radiator is 5 to 8 days.

prs
Which road were you on? Hear any banjo music?:oops: Good luck with the rad replacement.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!, Rob. I was on 645 between Inez and Ulysses when I "found" the glass. I left all the banjo music back on the WV side ;-). I hear the banjo from my patio. I made the first inspection at Jenny Wiley park near Douglas Dam. I did not see any elk this trip in KY or WV, usually catch a glimps or two.

Rooster

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dexcool gave some of us trouble with the 2002 model; it made copious jelly boogers. If I were to consider a "Stop Leak" product, it would be the old fashioned "ginger" tablets, BUT I am not going that route.

prs

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
2021 DCT-Black
70 Posts

prs
Good luck with your repair.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,596 Posts
Hi!, Rob. I was on 645 between Inez and Ulysses when I "found" the glass. I left all the banjo music back on the WV side ;-). I hear the banjo from my patio. I made the first inspection at Jenny Wiley park near Douglas Dam. I did not see any elk this trip in KY or WV, usually catch a glimps or two.

Rooster
150 years ago or so, I had an 8th grade picnic/trip to Jenny Wiley. Good fun a long time ago. I lived in Fleming Neon at the time.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jelly boogers?
I think it may have been Fred that also noted what I call jelly boogers from DexCool. Small globs of amber colored gummy bear-like oval beads on the surfaces. Not sure why, maybe not compatible with the remmanents of Honda original fill coolant at the time. Honda brake fluid, original fill in the 2002, also sported a few jelatenous forms.

prs

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Vendor
18,635 Posts
Option three, buy a new radiator for about 4 to 5 "C" notes and fix it correctly; BINGO. To remove/replace the radiator, there is quite a bit more tear down, so new air filter, and tiding-up of road dust "in there" will also be done. ETA for the new radiator is 5 to 8 days.

prs
Good choice. There is a 6th gen in now for a cooling system service, and I can see evidence of a coolant leak at the back of the right rear radiator. Hopefully this one will be a clamp.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
I think it may have been Fred that also noted what I call jelly boogers from DexCool. Small globs of amber colored gummy bear-like oval beads on the surfaces. Not sure why, maybe not compatible with the remmanents of Honda original fill coolant at the time. Honda brake fluid, original fill in the 2002, also sported a few jelatenous forms.

prs
Evocative image. Doesn't sound like something I'd want in my cooling system. (Although it's a great name for a children's vitamin.)

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With expensive parts to buy can your comprehensive insurance policy cover part of the cost of repair?
Maybe. My agent is a good pal of my son's and previous frequent guest at my home. He may be able to spring it, but he says it is not typical for policies to cover DIY repairs and I greatly prefer doing all my work myself -- that is a big part of my reason to have cycles.

prs

Reactions: dduelin

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good choice. There is a 6th gen in now for a cooling system service, and I can see evidence of a coolant leak at the back of the right rear radiator. Hopefully this one will be a clamp.
Well, as I stated, there is no "obvious" impact damage from the chunk of glass as best as I can see with the radiator mounted, I hope we do not discover a weakness. There are only two hoses plus the siphon with clamps and it appears as if Honda took great care with this new design to avoid the clamp problems of the previus. I have a ton of other projects going on and have to wait on parts too, so it may be a few whiles before I have the radiator in hand. Then again ... I am very curious about this.

prs

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maybe. My agent is a good pal of my son's and previous frequent guest at my home. He may be able to spring it, but he says it is not typical for policies to cover DIY repairs and I greatly prefer doing all my work myself -- that is a big part of my reason to have cycles.

prs
Insurance companies are funny about motorcycle repairs because they don't have parts prices available, nor do they have labor times. I had a minor incident and even though I planned to do the work they insisted on a shop estimate. They paid off that and I took it from there.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the radiator out and flushed with water, very clean AND no obvious sign of damage from impact with the chunk of glass. I know the location from where it was leaking, about the 4th of 5th "rib" from the top and and about an inch or so from the rear. I plan to take this right radiator to a radiator specialty shop for testing.

prs

·
Registered
2018 Tour DCT, Pearl White
28 Posts
"Oh Boy! I get to tear the bike apart!"

"I greatly prefer doing all my work myself -- that is a big part of my reason to have cycles."

Hank Hill would be proud of you. I sure miss that guy.

Tommy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts