GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer whom I very seldom do business with had a new stock Wing for sale. The price was way up there. I asked him if would wheel and deal. He said "no" I mentioned another dealer who had excellent pricing and would wheel and deal all day long and would he like to do some competitive pricing. He said that the second dealer would purchase damaged bikes at the auction, repair and sell as new. Seemed like a liabilis comment to me.

I believe there are federal and state guidelines on the selling of new vehicles.

Anyone know the scoop on selling new damaged and repaired bikes?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. Also sounds like my local "dealer." Doesn't seem like the right label since they won't "deal" with anybody. That's why I bought mine elsewhere. :wink:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup

I went into my local dealer, told him I wanted to pay cash for an '07 Airbag--what kind of price could he give me... Well, he pretty much insulted me; and the dealer down the road "did a deal" and sold a motorcycle with a bunch of accessories... :lol:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
sounds like a dealer in Columbia Missouri. they buy crate damaged bikes and 4 wheelers by the dozen at auction and can sell them much cheaper than our local dealer. Most of the time I hear there is nothing wrong with the bike in the crate but if there is they just fix it up and sell as new.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Honda does have auctions every so often that have crate damage, repossesion etc...bikes that dealers can sometimes get at a substantial discount. The dealer can repair the bike and it is still sellable as new. It is not that often that Wings show up at the auction. Most of the damage will be a scratch or a broken part or missing a windshield, something like that. There are most generally tons of ATV's and dirtbikes at these auctions and a few streetbikes.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I had a honda dealer do something like that in vegas. They said they would match prices. Then I showed them prices from HDL. They said that they couldnt even get them for the prices HDL was asking for and made the comment that HDL was selling refurbished CB's and other stuff.

That caught me offguard. Im not sure how HDL gets the things they get...IF what this guy said was true about the pricing. IF the dealers cant get them below X amount and HDL sells them for less than X amount and still makes a profit...how does that happen. Do they buy in bulk or what?

Im sticking to the belief that HDL sells original Honda brand new stuff and parts and accessories...but how would I know if they werent?

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
ziggystyles said:
Im sticking to the belief that HDL sells original Honda brand new stuff and parts and accessories...but how would I know if they werent?
Hal looses money on everything he sells.

He sells so much, he makes it up in volume.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO that dealer that told you about another dealer selling damaged bikes
is full of _ _ _ _... take your money and run ... find a honest dealer...
save some bucks if you shop around...

cosmic

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the damaged bike is repaired and sold as new, I would think that some kind of statement would accompany the bike. Look at the big box stores for example. They sell a lot of scratch and dent stuff. However, if it is new with damage and is repaired or restored it is still sold as repaired not new.

What am I missing here??.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
ziggystyles said:
I had a honda dealer do something like that in vegas. They said they would match prices. Then I showed them prices from HDL. They said that they couldnt even get them for the prices HDL was asking for and made the comment that HDL was selling refurbished CB's and other stuff.

That caught me offguard. Im not sure how HDL gets the things they get...IF what this guy said was true about the pricing. IF the dealers cant get them below X amount and HDL sells them for less than X amount and still makes a profit...how does that happen. Do they buy in bulk or what?

That dealer wasn't actually lying to you zig. He didn't tell you the whole story though. He pays more than what Hal sells for. Then after so many months, he gets a factory rebate (so to speak). The dealers that won't sell at lower prices are the ones who are not willing (or don't have the financial ability) to wait for their money back from Mother. :)
DC

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I'm not aware that it is illegal to sell previously damaged vehicles as new if they have not been salvaged or sold (registered) previously.

States tend to have their own salvage laws. Sometimes a new bike is damaged to the point of salvage but most of the time it is not.

Repairing a non-salvage vehicle and selling it as new is not deceit so long as the original warrantee is in force. And there likely would not be any disclosure or reduction in price if the repairs made the vehicle "good as new".

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
ziggystyles said:
IF the dealers cant get them below X amount and HDL sells them for less than X amount and still makes a profit...how does that happen. Do they buy in bulk or what?
Overhead Ziggy, Overhead

·
Registered
394 Posts
stick405 said:
If the damaged bike is repaired and sold as new, I would think that some kind of statement would accompany the bike. Look at the big box stores for example. They sell a lot of scratch and dent stuff. However, if it is new with damage and is repaired or restored it is still sold as repaired not new.

What am I missing here??.
You are missing nothing. Dealers get crate damaged units unloaded off the truck everyday. Stuff gets bumped in shipping and scratches happen. Most of the damage is nothing major and all you have to do is replace a piece or two.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Red said:
ziggystyles said:
Hal looses money on everything he sells.

He sells so much, he makes it up in volume.
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats the funnest statement I have read in a long time :clap2: " Looses money on every sale",,,,, But makes money???

Red Thats funny.............Pete

·
Registered
547 Posts
ziggystyles wrote:

IF the dealers cant get them below X amount and HDL sells them for less than X amount and still makes a profit...how does that happen. Do they buy in bulk or what?
When you buy in a large enough quantity, you get a better price from the manufacturer. Then, if you run an efficient operation, you can keep your price very low. How do I know that? I work in the buying department for Costco.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Of course, you already know how to tell if a dealer is lying to you, right?

I could not even get a local dealer in Dallas to come off full MSRP. One dealer would not even give me a price! The salesman told me to shop around and bring them my best price and the would match it (which I am sure was BS). So, I drove 300 miles to Neosho, Missouri and bought my new '07 ABS and paid CASH. Couldn't be happier with the deal I got and the service.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
There must be incentives with volume sales. The dealer I finally bought my '06 GL1800 at had 12 '06 and '07 Goldwings on the floor. The salesman told me they had at least that many still in crates.

I have been to a lot of large Honda Dealers but I've never seen one like that.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if the thief a$$holes at best buy cant even try it, then it isnt happening

a couple dealers told me similar stories around here

and also the old, once you get there, its a different price story

when i had a written price quote for them to match

i try and avoid dealers at all costs

i purchased my 06 navi ,used with 1500 miles on it

i ended up about $4500 difference after selling my 02

the best local dealer wouldnt make the deal for $10000 swap, they wanted more more more

so i want less less less to do with dealers

look elsewhere

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I've been to a lot of Honda America Finance sales and have yet to see anything sold in a crate-damaged or otherwise. I don't know where these "crate sales" are held, but I'd be curious to find out.

As to laws regarding vehicle damages, etc., those are generally state-by-state. Even if your state has such a law, don't be surprised if motorcycles are not covered. My state has a new vehicle 'lemon law' but it does not cover motorcycles, for example.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts