GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home tonight from my ATS (Automotive Transportation Service) meeting I clipped a deer with the front right portion of the bumper. It broke the fog light housing and scared the heck out of me! :shock:

(This was with my 2001 Ford Ranger.)

If it wasn't for my friend yelling..err....screaming......DEER!!!!! I wouldn't have hit the brakes in time and we figure we would have hit the deer head on. :shock: I was doing 110kmh. 65mph.
I'm pretty sure it's back legs/leg was broken by the impact.

Sure am glad I wasn't on the WING.

For anyone that hasn't hit a deer or think they can react fast enough.......good luck.

Just remember one thing.

STAND ON THE BRAKES AND DRIVE STRIAGHT AHEAD!!!!
Don't try to swerve out of the way. You'll end up in the ditch upside down.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Don, You scared the beejeesus out of me. I thought you might have been on your Wing.

Parts we can replace. Dear Freinds, we can not!

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Exciting isn't it? I totaled out a 2002 Chevy S-10 last year. 6 point buck at 60mph, with no brakes applied. Killed the dear instantly, took out the whole front end of my truck, & left me with skid marks in my drawers. Just glad to hear you were on four wheels, & not two!

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
I think there are way to many deer related accidents and it is time for goverment to seriously consider reducing the size of the deer herd in hopes of rediucing accidents. Recently in this area a car hit a deer threw the deer airborn and it went through the windshield of an oncoming car killing the 2 occupants. JMO

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don, glad you are ok.
Some friends of mine hit a deer several years ago in a car. The deer went over the top and crashed through the BACK glass! The deer wound up, quite alive, in the back seat!!
There were "hoof marks" where she tore the roof liner and upholstery getting back out.
BTW_ the deer ran off and was presumed to be alive and well.

mike

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hit a deer and ride to tell about it...

http://www.teamft.com/bike/bike2.jpg

The deer:

http://www.teamft.com/bike/deer1.jpg (my bike is behind the passing truck)

This is the Newberry, SC entrance ramp to I-26. I hit the deer while I was going 70 MPH... It was right at noon.

I'm afraid of what would happen if the deer hit my tire. As it was, it hit the left front fairing. You can see more pics if you change the bike2.jpg to bike1.jpg, bike3.jpg, etc.

I was not hurt and did not go down. However, if my S.O. were on the back, I'm certain she would have had her leg broken.

Ride safely.

Boatner

·
Registered
188 Posts
after 24 years of marrage and neither one of us hitting a dear between the two of us we got 3 deer within a one week period..one with my pickup,wife with her car and i got the third with my tractor trailer...and like the post said before there aint no time to get stopped..espicially in a tractor trailer....but it did throw that deer a long ways off of the road.. :shock:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
bhowell, man, what a picture. Deef Fur stuck in the cracked
saddlebag. And at noon!

Congrats on keeping the bike up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Deer are a problem around here too, but I've never seen as many dead deer on the road side as I did on our recent trip through the south east.
All along I-20, I-10, and I-85 in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida. Dead deer were scattered everywhere. One night while on our way back to Columbus from the Atlanta airport, deer were all along I-85 munching grass. They'd look up at us and go back to eating.
70 m.p.h. and I'm waiting on one of them to jump across the highway in front of us. What would I do, where would I go. What an errie feeling. At 70, all you could do is plow right into them. With the slower speeds of the U.S. highways and backroads, you might have time to slow down and maybe miss them, but not at interstate speeds, and hitting a deer at that speed would be like driving through a concret block wall.

Glad you werent' hurt Don. It would have been worse had you been on that pretty yellow bike of yours. Keep your eyes open buddy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Glad you're OK Don. I hit a deer (in my car) about 10 years ago, and the first thing I was thankful for was that I was NOT on my bike. They are just soooooooo darn quick that you really don't have time to react. I know they are out during daylight hours, but I try to avoid riding the bike when it is dark just to have a better chance of seeing them come from the side.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Whew ! I thought like dawg did , that you were on the wing. Glad your ok Don. We here in Michigan have a lot of them, so if anyone rides here be very, careful.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The deer herd in NJ is larger than in any time in history. The roads are littered with deer carcases. It's one of my biggest fears when riding or driving. I have hit two with my cars. I too, am very glad you were not hurt. I am from the south and a hunter. They certainly need to thin the herd in NJ, but you have to shoot the animal activists first.

Ronnie :yw1:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I know 2 times around here that a 1800 hit a deer. Each time the passenger broke there leg when the inpact threw the deer into the side of the bike. Neither bike went down

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got home from the Farm Show in London.
You can be sure I was watching the road tonight on my way home!!!!

It still bothers me that I didn't see the deer coming.
Oh well....all I have to fix is the fog light bracket.

Thanks everyone for their kind words.
Don

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Deer

I have hit 4 deer on bikes. One was a direct impact near Inks Lake about 20 years ago. I was on the rig below, which was Smoked black standard BMW color before I hit the deer. I was going about 65 and had my wife on the back and pulling the Streamliner.

The deer swung around the bike from hitting it in the shoulder with the headlight. The force hurt my hip and my wifes, smashed the left saddle bag like a run-over watermellon, bent the rear frame, smashed the fairing into the fuel tank, bent the tank, knocked the left carburetor off, smashed the left spark plug and cap, broke the left fuel nipple of the tank and was just a mess.

As the engine started running instantly on one cyclinder, I thought it had knocked the cylinder off. The highway had no shoulder and I rode about 100 yards slowing down until there was a place to pull off. I hollered at my wife to jump off and help me hold up the bike, which she did in a lot of pain. I had not realized whe had been hit as well. The deer had flown about 100 feet and hit the fence. It was dead in the air, with one of my Fiamm air horns stuck deep in its flank.

I got the tools out of the trailer, turned the petcock off on the left side, and took the broken nipple out of the fuel line on that side. I found a 3/16 bolt and wrapped schotch 33 electric tape around it untill it was the size of the nipple, and plugged the fuel hose.

The carburetor was hanging by the choke and throttle cables, and I put it back on the engine, and turned on the fuel, pushed the starter button and we were on our way back home. It was not until the next day that I noticed that the left spark plug had no porcelain. It somewhow kept working with the smashed metal cap still somehow getting spark to the plug.

The trailer was not damage, and infact, I pulled it yesterday and use it daily while the new trailer is taking shape. I rebuilt the bike and painted it the color you see here. Still have it, parked with 170,000 on it. It was running when I parked it after getting the 91 GL1500Se. I should probably drain the tank. The gas is probably not much good now.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I wonder what the argument is for keeping so .......

................many deer around. There are a number of bad accidents caused by deer and people deaths often occur, both in cages and bikes. I over heard a guy at supper last evening telling another about totaling his car, because of hitting a deer.

There are far too many deer. A dozen or two in my yard at night, for instance..

There are deer carcuses and swarming buzzards everywhere. I am surprised that the auto insurance lobby has not done something.

Very sorry to hear about your wife's injury. What a terrible way to get started. Glad things are on the mend. I wish you both the best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Had one jump over the guardrail and wrap himself around my 1100 at 55+mph on my way to work one June AM.I Had internal injuries, (killed the deer) tore the ligaments off inside my rt thumb (a couple of surgerys and not much fine motor skills but it's still there).A slight concussion as his head hit mine.....Some knee damage.also a surgery but Nolan Flip Front/FF helmet and full Cordura jacket and pants.Full riding gloves,sturdy over the ankle boots........no road rash... and insurance was willing to replace all my gear...I had already sent clothes off to Moto Port and they repaired them for under $ 50. including shipping.....So I had them replace gloves and helmet.Certainly worth it...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Tom Finch Wrote:

I am surprised that the auto insurance lobby has not done something.
I recall that being a statement as long as 10 years ago on 60 Minutes,
the news show. I think they were doing a little segment on an area up
N.E. Deer everywhere. Must have been a story on "save the deer" vs
"kill the deer". I'll bet the payouts from deer related incidents are
extremely high nation wide. Too high to justify not controlling the
deer population somehow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts