GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, finally got to get the wing out today after nothing but cold, snow and ice! 58 degrees for a while and tomorrow will be back to the normal deep cold again. One thing I really noticed was how bright the sun light is on the bike and how much it affected my eye sight (almost blinding). I had my sun glasses on too! How do you all handle riding in the after noon hours when the sun light seems to be at it's brightest? Sure could use some help on this!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow, finally got to get the wing out today after nothing but cold, snow and ice! 58 degrees for a while and tomorrow will be back to the normal deep cold again. One thing I really noticed was how bright the sun light is on the bike and how much it affected my eye sight (almost blinding). I had my sun glasses on too! How do you all handle riding in the after noon hours when the sun light seems to be at it's brightest? Sure could use some help on this!

Dude... I have the most unfortunate riding time on my way home from work. i'm driving West and the sun is setting. I get a glare on my sunglasses or my sunvisor. I did see something on this board a day or two ago that i was thinking of trying but I lost the thread. Acts as a visor to block the sun if you slightly tilt your dead down. That's the only time it bothers me is when it's right in my line of sight. So far at it's worst I've gotten away with putting one hand up over my eyes to create a block but I know that's not the solution, just a band aid, and a bad one at that.
:wrong:
Maybe someon will point out that thread again.

Joe

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dang that's bright

If you wear a full face helmet there is a thing called a SuperVisor that sticks onto the top of your face shield and gives you the option of a visor to block that low sun full in your face. I have a riding partner that has on on his Nolan flip face and he loves it. I believe our board sponser has them on his web sight

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I hear ya!..It was bright this afternoon,I took off work at 1:00 and headed to your neck of the woods Hwy79 :thumbup:

That sun is tough...When I wore a 3/4 helmet a snap on visor worked great for blocking that sun...I have gone to modular and full face helmet,I have heard of some board members putting a strip of black electrical tape at the top of their face shield works like a visor..I haven't tried this yet

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Super visor... Hmmm wouldnt that about rip your head off if you flip your helmet open? I now if I leave my screen down I can open my lid at 80 to take a drink of water with no issue. If that screen is open it about takes your head off when it catches wind. I'd guess this would be even worse in those conditions? Maybe not if you have a Tulsa or some other huge storm door windshield?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Figure out how far down on your visor you need something to block the sun and not deter your view of the road then put strips of plain old electrical tape from there up. It work great.

You may be able to see mine in my signature picture

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have thought about stopping in at a auto window tinting place and have them apply a dark tint strip on the shield. I think that would look better than electric tape.

I kick myself in the butt for not buying a polarized (chrome) shield for my helmets when I bought them. They are "Vega's". I suppose I might be able to find them somewhere.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I love my HJC helmet with its internal sun visor, pop it down from above or pop it back up. My photo gray glasses still gray a little even with the visor down. I noticed same thing, sunlight can be almost blinding otherwise.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The Sun is closest to the Earth in the Winter months; 91 million miles and 93 million miles during the Summer months. It is colder here in the northern hemisphere, because of the tilt of the Earth's axis. This could be the reason why the Sun looks brighter to us now as we ride into it at sunset.

I also have a strip of black electrical tape across the top of my FF helmet's faceshield. Use a fresh roll of tape and it will look like it's part of the shield. You won't ride without it again. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
10 days of straight fog here. we are almost forgeting what the sun looks like :nojoke::cus:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Visors

Most helmet manufacturers sell tinted visors for their helmets. I have both a light smoke and a dark smoke for mine...

V.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a flip down internal sun visor. Both that and the polarized sunglasses are no match for this sun when staring right into it on your way home. As long as it isn't directly into it either one works great but man... a sun setting on the road you're trying to drive up is a bear!

2,732 Posts
Riding into the sun

Riding into the sun issue:

Not a problem with my Schuberth helmet with the drop down sunvisor inside the main shield. With a flip of the little lever, the shield comes down, in the shade another flip and it's out of the way. Makes dealing with the sun directly in your line of vision a piece of cake.

Someday, all helmets will adopt the Schuberth concept. My Schuberth is 8 years old and they had the concept figured out way back then.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Riding into the sun issue:

Not a problem with my Schuberth helmet with the drop down sunvisor inside the main shield. With a flip of the little lever, the shield comes down, in the shade another flip and it's out of the way. Makes dealing with the sun directly in your line of vision a piece of cake.

Someday, all helmets will adopt the Schuberth concept. My Schuberth is 8 years old and they had the concept figured out way back then.
I wonder why your flip down internal would be any better than the one I have. I have a Caberg Justissimo which is great on sunny days but I have yet to see anything that helps with a sun right on the road in front of you other than just to block it out. This is the only scenario that bothers me. Do you have any ideas as to what's on your shield and not mine, and have you experienced a winter sun setting on the road right in front of you?

Doesn't bother me in the summer, only winter, as the other thread said maybe due to the sun being closer and at a different axis but still annoying.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've seen sunglasses with different degrees of darkening. You might consider getting a darker pair for days like that.

2,732 Posts
I must admit

Wingrunner wrote:
I wonder why your flip down internal would be any better than the one I have. I have a Caberg Justissimo which is great on sunny days but I have yet to see anything that helps with a sun right on the road in front of you other than just to block it out. This is the only scenario that bothers me. Do you have any ideas as to what's on your shield and not mine, and have you experienced a winter sun setting on the road right in front of you?

Doesn't bother me in the summer, only winter, as the other thread said maybe due to the sun being closer and at a different axis but still annoying.

Wingrunner, I must admit that twice during a ride on Weds I ran into the sun right at road level directly straight ahead. I did have trouble seeing for about 10 seconds until I could change the angle of my head so I know what you are referring to. The sun shield nearly did the job but still had that "panic" feeling when your not sure you know where the road is at.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I keep a Layer of Dirt on my Wing so it doesn't reflect light.
Its easier on the eye's while I ride in the sunshine.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My 3/4 helmet has a visor that helps when I need it and is out of the way when not needed. It just takes a little tilt of the head to control. It looks like a small hat bill.

On the full face shields, the tape looks like it should work the same way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts