GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What drives folks to respond to posts from new or inexperienced members with “It’s been covered before” or "Check the archives" or "Do a search" or some other short uninformative response without any other input?
If everyone who had a question or a comment searched the archives to be sure it hadn't been asked, answered or stated before....
Well...
There probably wouldn't be any new posts to speak of.
I have a habit of inserting funny (hopefully) remarks in threads. I do it to be a part of the group and sometimes to show an interest even if I have no information to add. Sometimes I start to respond and then cancel it when I realize I'm just shooting darts at someone’s balloon and the input I was going to make would not help at all and probably only look like a put-down towards someone.
One of the purposes of boards like this is to give folks a place to interact and enjoy the camaraderie of others with a common interest.
New members ask questions to give them a method of joining the group. If they are answered with a short cold response it sends the message that new members aren't wanted. If they just Lurk and don't post, or they get hit with a big hammer when they cross some boundary, then the board eventually becomes stagnant and falls apart, or ends up with a few buddies who use it for a private board, which is about the same result. In Amateur radio, I hear many conversations on the various frequencies. I don't tell them all to stop talking just because they are discussing something I've heard before. If I don't want to listen, have no answer or just don't want to go over a subject that's old to me, I just don't stay on that frequency to listen or join in. The same thing works on this board. Holding the board to a common topic, like GL1800's, is a method of keeping it all manageable. But it also makes it less entertaining than an "open-to-anything" format. That's why there are different boards with different topics. It just wouldn't work to have a board rule that no member should post any message on a subject that had been covered before, was boring, redundant, ignorant, opinionated or at odds with the desires of any other member reading the posts. I don't want to sound like a Forum Cop but I'm sure many of us have seen the cycle over the years. Active members who have enjoyed the board start to get frustrated that it just isn't as new and entertaining as it was in the past. There have been a great number of members leave the board over the years just because they could not adjust and become like the many "old-timers" that have stuck around and made this board the great one it is. Ask Fred Harmon how many times he's answered the "same-ole-question" and Fred's been doing it since the old board, before LaMonster set this one up.
If you made it this far, thanks for listening. I'll probably be able to hold in the pressure for another few years before I explode into a rant again. GL1800riders forever!!!! (and you Tricycle riders too.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC[/b]

·
Registered
732 Posts
:clap2: :clap2: Here.....Here !!!!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Silver Meteor said:
:clap2: :clap2: Here.....Here !!!!!

WELL now that the OTB board is down the aaahhhhaahhhh .....hhhmmmm.."people" just dont have any where else to spew their .uuuhhhh "stuff"......I gues some people come & already knew all there was to know!!!!!!!!!........chuck :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Got to agree on this one :yes1:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've been around a little while, long enough to know the board is alot less civil than it was when I first registered. We had our Rodehards, to name one but it wasn't as cut throat as it's gotten. Noobs are what keeps the board going and it keeps it interesting. You never know when someone is going to have a new perspective on an old problem. It happens everyday.

Scott

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Very well said...thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Civil ? Is that a new part for the Wing ?What is civil ? :lol:
GOOD POST !

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I ant very smart but I know what civil mean. The post made good sense to me

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Welcome a'board to ALL!

I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I'm still here.

I used to greet new members with a warm welcome a'board, but Just too busy these days. So that said, I see there's over 12k of us now, WOW! I was #973 on the original board.

(How many of us remember our # from the old board?)

Anyhow, I was made to feel welcome when I first came along and asked questions and I hope all Newbies feel the same and will stick around and contribute to all the discussions here.

·
Registered
939 Posts
BigLaw said:
I've been around a little while, long enough to know the board is alot less civil than it was when I first registered. We had our Rodehards, to name one but it wasn't as cut throat as it's gotten. Noobs are what keeps the board going and it keeps it interesting. You never know when someone is going to have a new perspective on an old problem. It happens everyday.

Scott
I think too many of us (me included) are thinking about the coming winter and putting the bikes away and this makes us grumpy.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Closetchef said:
Welcome a'board to ALL!

I don't post nearly as much as I used to, but I'm still here.

I used to greet new members with a warm welcome a'board, but Just too busy these days. So that said, I see there's over 12k of us now, WOW! I was #973 on the original board.

(How many of us remember our # from the old board?)

Anyhow, I was made to feel welcome when I first came along and asked questions and I hope all Newbies feel the same and will stick around and contribute to all the discussions here.
Chef, I had to smile at your post after reading BigLaw's post. I think the first question is how many know what the heck you are talking about when you refer to the old board. And who would have expected anyone to refer to the days of Rodehard as the good ole days?

The board ebbs and flows, but I agree that civility is something we should all be thoughtful of with every Newbie and every question that gets asked for the thousandth time. (I do kind of grimace when I see a question that I know is going to evoke some abrupt answers.)

·
Registered
461 Posts
I applaud your post Dream Catcher. I don't read the posts as thoroughly as I once did, there are some names that I just pass by. I wish members would do as you say, I doubt it will happen though, seems some are interested in getting the post numbers up or something to that affect. I have learned a lot from the technical side and plan on learning more, just ignoring some. What good is 2,000 post if you haven't said anything of interest? :roll:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Now that I don't own a GL1800 anymore, I kind of stick around by fiat of the group. There are a number of posts I don't feel qualified to respond to, being out of the loop so to speak. The civility of the board seems to have its ebb and flow depending on a few individuals who are either here as "disrupters" or assume the position of "board police." Its the latter that seem to have the most negative influence, primarily because it is easier to spot the former.

I personally appreciated the post, the tone and attitude it projects and, most importantly, the message. Thanks!

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well I ain't had no problems and I'm sorta new. Maybe I'm sorta tough skinned......or maybe I don't ask to many REAL stupid questions.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, and I certainly picked from it when I first got on. July 15 I got my first wing, and justlike a kid with a new toy was plenty inquisitive (sp?). So, I appreciate all you kind folks helping out, and from that I hope I can do the same one day.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I agree completely with this!

However, I also think this is one of the best run forums going (and I'm a forum junkie).

·
Registered
552 Posts
BigLaw said:
I've been around a little while, long enough to know the board is alot less civil than it was when I first registered. We had our Rodehards, to name one but it wasn't as cut throat as it's gotten. Noobs are what keeps the board going and it keeps it interesting. You never know when someone is going to have a new perspective on an old problem. It happens everyday. Scott
That Rodehard character must have been one mean dude... what the hell did he do to piss so many people off?

Did he kill some of ya all's kin folk or something? :wink:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
azblackbird said:
BigLaw said:
I've been around a little while, long enough to know the board is alot less civil than it was when I first registered. We had our Rodehards, to name one but it wasn't as cut throat as it's gotten. Noobs are what keeps the board going and it keeps it interesting. You never know when someone is going to have a new perspective on an old problem. It happens everyday. Scott
That Rodehard character must have been one mean dude... what the hell did he do to piss so many people off?
Rodehard could see into the souls of men and turn their innermost fears against them. Some says he was a mortal man; some says he was a beast from beyond.
Me? I says he was half man, half rattler.

Actually he was just too honest and that doesn't work in polite society.

Folks round here think you're either Nicky Hayden or Rodehard in disguise.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
When someone posts something like "I searched but couldn't find anything about the wobble in front end of my bike" I've responded a couple times with several links that I find when I search. Maybe the person doesn't know how to use the search?

I've been guilty other times too - mostly because there were 2 or 3 other posts about the exact same thing already in the top 10! :lol:

Now, how many threads are there about the OTB closure because some people couldn't post in the one already there - had to make their own? :evil: (Edit: it looks like those posts have been slashed and burned! :D )

:lol:

Oh, well - Dream Catcher makes a lot of sense. Ranting is good sometimes. :wink: So I will continue to resist my urges. I agree a nice polite answer would be best.

·
Registered
266 Posts
azblackbird said:

Nah - he jest proved that his folks should never have been allowed ta reproduce. Some folks ain't happy unless they're stirrin' s*** up, an' he's one of 'em.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Dream Catcher said:
What drives folks to respond to posts from new or inexperienced members with “It’s been covered before” or "Check the archives" or "Do a search" or some other short uninformative response without any other input?
If everyone who had a question or a comment searched the archives to be sure it hadn't been asked, answered or stated before....
Well...
There probably wouldn't be any new posts to speak of.
I have a habit of inserting funny (hopefully) remarks in threads. I do it to be a part of the group and sometimes to show an interest even if I have no information to add. Sometimes I start to respond and then cancel it when I realize I'm just shooting darts at someone’s balloon and the input I was going to make would not help at all and probably only look like a put-down towards someone.
One of the purposes of boards like this is to give folks a place to interact and enjoy the camaraderie of others with a common interest.
New members ask questions to give them a method of joining the group. If they are answered with a short cold response it sends the message that new members aren't wanted. If they just Lurk and don't post, or they get hit with a big hammer when they cross some boundary, then the board eventually becomes stagnant and falls apart, or ends up with a few buddies who use it for a private board, which is about the same result. In Amateur radio, I hear many conversations on the various frequencies. I don't tell them all to stop talking just because they are discussing something I've heard before. If I don't want to listen, have no answer or just don't want to go over a subject that's old to me, I just don't stay on that frequency to listen or join in. The same thing works on this board. Holding the board to a common topic, like GL1800's, is a method of keeping it all manageable. But it also makes it less entertaining than an "open-to-anything" format. That's why there are different boards with different topics. It just wouldn't work to have a board rule that no member should post any message on a subject that had been covered before, was boring, redundant, ignorant, opinionated or at odds with the desires of any other member reading the posts. I don't want to sound like a Forum Cop but I'm sure many of us have seen the cycle over the years. Active members who have enjoyed the board start to get frustrated that it just isn't as new and entertaining as it was in the past. There have been a great number of members leave the board over the years just because they could not adjust and become like the many "old-timers" that have stuck around and made this board the great one it is. Ask Fred Harmon how many times he's answered the "same-ole-question" and Fred's been doing it since the old board, before LaMonster set this one up.
If you made it this far, thanks for listening. I'll probably be able to hold in the pressure for another few years before I explode into a rant again. GL1800riders forever!!!! (and you Tricycle riders too.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC[/b]
I think if you did a search this topic was already covered.

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts