GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, dangerous and stupid...apparently that's me.

I finally decided I want to make a move to the dark side.
We have only one motorcycle dealer in Roswell NM so against my better judgement I asked them if they would mount tires for me.

They basically intimated that i was an ignorant moron and they wanted no part in my stupidity.
I got a lead from a friend that led to another guy that mounts tires--but he thought it was too risky.

He was very nice about it, but was concerned that when I die in a fiery crash, my family would sue them.
He didn't want to endanger his business. He was also clever enough to know that signing a waiver didn't really protect him.
So he felt obligated to pass on the adventure.

He did remember a guy in town that rides a Valkerie with a ct, so he made a call and will try to find out where the work was done.

We haven't heard back yet, but maybe there is hope.
Either way, he tried to make it work, so I'll have to see if I can throw some business his way.

If anyone here knows of somewhere in NM that will help me out--feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Take it to Walmart. tell them its for a custommade trailer, and you should be able to get it done for about $5

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I got mine mounted at Discount Tire saying it was a trailer tire. They kept asking me questions what kind of axle system I was running ect, what kind of trailer, then they went to mount the tire and asked if it was going to be run on the left or right side. I just said it was a spare and the guy said how "First time I've ever heard of a run flat tire being used as a spare tire on a trailer". I was getting relatively nervous after 20 continual lies, but got the job done. No more of that, I will mount my own tires and should have on this one.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
good luck getting it mounted. Walmart can do it but their machine tends to leave a small gouge in the rim-- but once wheel is on bike you will never see it.
I just love all the " experts" that don't know jack about what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
good luck getting it mounted. Walmart can do it but their machine tends to leave a small gouge in the rim-- but once wheel is on bike you will never see it.
I just love all the " experts" that don't know jack about what they are talking about.
í

+1 :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
PM Rail32, He can probably walk you through doing it yourself....

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
I got mine mounted at Discount Tire saying it was a trailer tire. They kept asking me questions what kind of axle system I was running ect, what kind of trailer, then they went to mount the tire and asked if it was going to be run on the left or right side. I just said it was a spare and the guy said how "First time I've ever heard of a run flat tire being used as a spare tire on a trailer". I was getting relatively nervous after 20 continual lies, but got the job done. No more of that, I will mount my own tires and should have on this one.
Next time you may want to tell them that it will be used on the left side of the trailer. You tell them this to make sure they get the tire rotation correct.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
PM Rail32, He can probably walk you through doing it yourself....
Fact , I have helped many do this themselves . A few have never even mounted a bicycle tire before . Honestly they where the easiest to explain it to .:nojoke:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Can't say I blame them. To hear some of the "adventures" that folks go through to mount CTs on other sized MT rims is a bit eye opening. 80-100psi to seat a tire on the bead? :shock: No thank you!

Fortunately, the 16" rim on the Wing is so close to a 16" car rim, the tire seals and seats with very little pressure (~25-30lbs). Though many of these shops may not be aware of this nor willing to take the risk. A simple "no, we don't feel comfortable doing that" would suffice though. :roll:

Yep, dangerous and stupid...apparently that's me.

I finally decided I want to make a move to the dark side.
We have only one motorcycle dealer in Roswell NM so against my better judgement I asked them if they would mount tires for me.

They basically intimated that i was an ignorant moron and they wanted no part in my stupidity.
I got a lead from a friend that led to another guy that mounts tires--but he thought it was too risky.

He was very nice about it, but was concerned that when I die in a fiery crash, my family would sue them.
He didn't want to endanger his business. He was also clever enough to know that signing a waiver didn't really protect him.
So he felt obligated to pass on the adventure.

He did remember a guy in town that rides a Valkerie with a ct, so he made a call and will try to find out where the work was done.

We haven't heard back yet, but maybe there is hope.
Either way, he tried to make it work, so I'll have to see if I can throw some business his way.

If anyone here knows of somewhere in NM that will help me out--feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Do it your self
2 tire irons, and 2 10". Or larger welding clamps + some liquid dish washing soap.
get the old tire off slip the primary ring onto the rim.
use one of the clamps to compress the tire to get to the lower part of the channel in the rim. (Clamp the tire so both outer rims go to the bottom of the rim)
use the other clamp to push the tire from the outside of the rim to the bottom of the rim channel and work the rest with the irons, use the liquid soap all around the rim and tire. It took me about 1/2 an hour to remove the old tire and install the new car tire.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Using dish soap can cause aluminum to corrode on the wheels and air leaks. I used soap for years and never gave it a thought, but corrosion set in on a 1984 Honda Aspencade wheel I'd used soap on and I had a flat tire every few days while sitting. Since then I use the No Mar paste and besides not ruining wheels it works ten times better. I have a junk wheel/tire off an old 1970s Kawasaki and testing out the Mojo lever I just bought and used soap just to not waste my No Mar paste, and immediately thought my gosh, this is what I used to use as a lube?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Using dish soap can cause aluminum to corrode on the wheels and air leaks. I used soap for years and never gave it a thought, but corrosion set in on a 1984 Honda Aspencade wheel I'd used soap on and I had a flat tire every few days while sitting. Since then I use the No Mar paste and besides not ruining wheels it works ten times better. I have a junk wheel/tire off an old 1970s Kawasaki and testing out the Mojo lever I just bought and used soap just to not waste my No Mar paste, and immediately thought my gosh, this is what I used to use as a lube?
Well soap is better than silicone spray :shock:
Please all who read this use tire lube it dries properly , makes mounting easier , and will not harm rims.
I have under a hard braking situation spun a tire on a rim about 3" using dish soap. That was my last day using dish sops other than to check for leaks .

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well soap is better than silicone spray :shock:
Please all who read this use tire lube it dries properly , makes mounting easier , and will not harm rims.
I have under a hard braking situation spun a tire on a rim about 3" using dish soap. That was my last day using dish sops other than to check for leaks .
Well; It looks like I'll need to change lubricant. KY?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Discount Tire for me as well...but, it's a LOT nicer when you show up with one already mounted on a rim. The last three I've had done; only a couple of questions each time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts