GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not those. Now get your mind out of the gutter!

What I'm referring to is the whole collection of crap that mostly-young drivers choose to hang from their inside rear-view mirror. I've seen garters, feathers, crystal balls, dream-catchers, etc. etc. etc.

Granted, these things really aren't all that large, but when you factor in the angle thing, one of these "silly little things" could prevent that driver from seeing a motorcycle approaching at an angle.

Please encourage your family to abide by safe driving constraints and not hang this kind of $hi+ from their mirrors.

Soapbox off.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
In NYS you can get a ticket for "obstruction of view" or something of that nature, for having stuff hanging from your rear view mirror.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm sure we've all seen CD's hanging from there. Nice chrome plated flat surfaces that act like a mirror when a light shines on them. One good glint and whoop, there it goes!

·
Registered
210 Posts
My daughter had about 30 pounds of them stupid beads hanging from hers and after the sun beat down on her windshield the mirror fell off. She asked her good ole dad to fix the mirror, I did but told her never to hang anything there again, blocks her view.. to this day she has never loaded it down.. Proud Dad Here, She listened for once.... :excited: :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bug my daughter about it cuz she has feathery crap hanging from her mirror. She finally shut me up by telling me that she never sees it cuz her cell phone blocks her view of it. Her and her sisters just laughed at me while the little mini mushroom cloud went off above my head.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What about all the folks that drive around with a Handycap tag hanging from the mirror? Talk about something blocking the view of freight train, much less a motorcycle. I know cause we have one. It is in the center console till needed.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If a GoldWinger with his "Alien" looking Tulsa Windshield that went over his head pulled up next to my wife at a traffic light and gave her crap about beads hanging from her mirror affecting her visibility, he would get nothing but a laugh from her.... well, maybe a one finger wave too.

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
The hanging CD kills me. What does this mean, that his car has a CD Player? Don't most?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
banana boy said:
What about all the folks that drive around with a Handycap tag hanging from the mirror? Talk about something blocking the view of freight train, much less a motorcycle. I know cause we have one. It is in the center console till needed.
I like the way New Mexico does it... right on the handicap placard it says "Do Not Drive Vehicle With Placard Hanging From Mirror." 8)

Around here the placards don't have any instructions on them like that, and it seems every other car has one hanging from the mirror. :?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I'll have to look at ours and see if it says anything on it. Like "Do not drive while on Mirror.

·
Registered
300 Posts
danglies

not only are they a distraction but they also become high velocity projetciles in the even of an accident and can cause quite a bit of damage. picture what becomes of the crystals that get hung from the mirror, when the vehical gets hit from the side?
not to say that these are the only thing that will hurt you but we should all try to minimize the damages that are possible..

just my two cents
jack

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like the way New Mexico does it... right on the handicap placard it says "Do Not Drive Vehicle With Placard Hanging From Mirror."

Texas has the same thing, however it appears that some folks in Texas cannot read, or either they do not know that the handicap sign is a placecard.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
CJ and/or Hedo, do you have Corona bottle caps hanging from the mirrors of your wings? Funky little wind chimes while you ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Illegal...

I just read in our Omaha paper that it is illegal to have something hanging from the mirror but it isn't enforced...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I thought this post was going to be about the fringes on the saddlebags and streamers on the handlebars of many hd's. (See, my mind isn't in the gutter). :lol:

In IL, you can get handicapped license plates with the wheelchair symbol on it....or the placard. Why anyone would want the placard instead of the plate is a mystery to me.

I've got a crystal on the mirror of the truck, a small bell on the van, and a pair of fuzzy dice on the '58 Chevy; but, nothing blowing in the wind on the Wing.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
California's placard says not to drive with placard hanging - but apparently needing a placard means you can't read because most people leave them in the window.

People opt for the placard so they can use in multiple vehicles.

When we park the trike the placard goes on the handlebar.

The only thing "hanging" off the trike while in motion is the angel bell.

P

·
0 Posts
I guess this means my fuzzy dice will have to come down.
After 30 years I'm afraid to touch them. Could be a black widows nest.

But in truth I agree. One little cross can turn into cathedrial, one band of pearls into a hanging treasure chest.
The out-do the Jones trend follows true.

Pat

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
If a GoldWinger with his "Alien" looking Tulsa Windshield that went over his head pulled up next to my wife at a traffic light and gave her crap about beads hanging from her mirror affecting her visibility, he would get nothing but a laugh from her.... well, maybe a one finger wave too.
Your wife sounds like a real sweetheart, but I don't get your point. Please explain. Do you think that a Tulsa impairs visibility? I have far better visibility with my Tulsa than I do in any car. Far better visibility through my Tulsa than through any face shield I've ever had.

I can't imagine trying to discuss visibility or anything else with a stranger at a stoplight, and I don't think anybody suggested such.

It's just a Wing. Looking over the windshield doesn't make you Valentino Rossi.

Insecure people just need to feel superior, and denigrating other people's choices is one route, I suppose.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well put, Lazyboy. I was going to respond to that post as well, but you worded it better than I would have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts