GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read many interesting posts on DS tire replacement and reviews. Just wondering how many switched then went back to motorcycle tires and brief why.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
After reading many positive reviews about the dark side, I decided to try it for myself on a motorcycle I ride alone, Hated it. I don't think it handles anywhere near as good as a MC tire. It would be okay if I only traveled the interstate. I tried several different tire pressures etc. I really wanted to like it because I only get about 4,000 miles out of a MC tire on the bike I tried it on. Probably will change it before it wears out. I will never put one on a motorcycle that both my wife and I ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
After reading many positive reviews about the dark side, I decided to try it for myself on a motorcycle I ride alone, Hated it. I don't think it handles anywhere near as good as a MC tire. It would be okay if I only traveled the interstate. I tried several different tire pressures etc. I really wanted to like it because I only get about 4,000 miles out of a MC tire on the bike I tried it on. Probably will change it before it wears out. I will never put one on a motorcycle that both my wife and I ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I started out on the Wing with a MC tire but went to a CT for better milage wear. I am back to a MC tire for now because MC tires handle better and turn in better than a CT. That said, if most of my riding is commuting to work and back in a straight line, a CT works fine. I will still have the CT set up for whenever I have the desire or need. Honestly, there is a high speed (80mph) turn coming from work that I like to speed around and that is better done on the MT. The CT handles the turn too but it has a sketchy wiggle that makes it more dangerous. ****, getting scared and pushing a bit is part of the thrill of the ride for me. I find that I concentrate better if I ride a bit aggressive.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Dark Side

The guy that sold me my first Goldwing added a mostly worn out Michelin RF tire on a second rim. I thought it would be “just like a motorcycle tire.” I hated it. I did not like the way it turned and I also did not like how it handled ridges in the road. I found out later that I was trying to use too little air pressure in the tire (26 psi) and I felt like it was squirrelly around corners. I tried a Michelin Commander II on the front and back next, and the front tire slid out on me in a relatively mild corner so I decided to get rid of both of those tires. I replaced the front with a 709 and the back with a Yokohama Avid Engigor RF. This time, I did not expect the Yoko to act like a MT and after a couple of thousand miles, I got used to the feel of the tire. I have worn multiple Yoko rear RF tires and was relatively satisfied with the performance of the tire. I then tried a Snowcontrol. That was like night and day. It turned so much easier than the Yoko. I really like that tire. I now have tried the Pirelli P1 and I like that one too. I have not worn out either the P1 or the Snowcontrol, so I don’t know which one of those will last longer for me.

I ride the Yoko RF tire with around 28 psi in it for normal riding and go to about 35 psi in the mountains. I ride the P1 and Snowcontrol with 34 psi normally and raise it to 36 - 38 psi in the mountains. The Pirelli tires are lighter and do not seem to have the tough sidewalls that Yoko does. As a result they seem to need more air pressure.

I spend most of my time riding in Kansas on relatively straight roads, but I still get 10-15K miles out of the Yoko. I suspect I’m going to get less than that out of both the P1 and the Snowcontrol. I like the Yoko’s stiff side walls and think it is more stable under zero pressure situations than the other 2 tires. I like the handling of the P1 and Snowcontrol much better than the Yoko. If things go as expected, the Yoko is also going to give me better mileage than the other two run flat tires.

I would not willingly go back to a rear MT on my Goldwing. I would park the bike before I would put an E3 back on the rear of the bike. (I found it to be terribly slick on wet roads.) I would ride a G704 on the back, but I would not be happy about it.

·
Vendor
15,852 Posts
Of the many I've road on, the only one that seamed somewhat acceptable was the Yokohama Avid. For me the rest road wonky. Every Battlelax that I've seen cups weather it was mounted with correct rotation or not.

The Dunlop m/c tire rep stopped in a couple of weeks ago. He worked the Dunlop booth at WingDing. We had an interesting conversation about the Dark Side. He must be new to the m/c tire world, and said he'd found out about it at WingDing.

As WVMANDINGO said, if I ever had one on my Wing there is no way I would take my gf for a ride.

·
Vendor
15,852 Posts
I really wanted to like it because I only get about 4,000 miles out of a MC tire on the bike I tried it on.
You're an aggressive rider, or take poor care of your tires. I'm guessing aggressive. Many come in my shop and will make comments about being more aggressive. They'll make comments "that they ride much faster then others they ride with," or will make the claim "they ride aggressively," or spirited. I've learned to only ask one question to understand their perspective of fast ... "how many miles do you get out of a set of tires ???"

Mr. Cain, the fastest 5th gens rider on the Gap gets 1,000 miles out of a set. To wear through tires that fast, you have to be insanely fast, and ride the twisty all the time. When his tires are worn out, the center tread looks nearly new.

The ones who walk in my shop saying they ride very aggressivly usually are in the 5,000-8,000 mile rage.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
You're an aggressive rider, or take poor care of your tires. I'm guessing aggressive. Many come in my shop and will make comments about being more aggressive. They'll make comments "that they ride much faster then others they ride with," or will make the claim "they ride aggressively," or spirited. I've learned to only ask one question to understand their perspective of fast ... "how many miles do you get out of a set of tires ???"

Mr. Cain, the fastest 5th gens rider on the Gap gets 1,000 miles out of a set. To wear through tires that fast, you have to be insanely fast, and ride the twisty all the time. When his tires are worn out, the center tread looks nearly new.

The ones who walk in my shop saying they ride very aggressivly usually are in the 5,000-8,000 mile rage.
I think that it is the nature of that bike. I do ride it a little more aggressive than my Goldwing because I'm usually on it solo. But even when we use to tour on it as a couple the results wasn't much better. I usually get double the service life out of the tire on my Goldwing than I do out of my VTX tire. Full disclosure, I do live near a lot of roads that would make the tail of the dragon blush. While you can ride them with a CT, a MT just does it sooooo much better.

BTW: The CT tire is a Yokohama Avid Envigor.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I went dark for a couple of years and am now back on a MC tire. I first tried a Pirelli (can’t remember the model) and wore it out on a 2007 LVL 3 with full Monty Traxxion. I learned to ride with that tire .....the typical extra effort to get it to roll into a turn and after a while, it just became normal. On that tire, there were two things I really didn’t like which was it would follow rain grooves and get squirrelly and at slow speeds it would want to follow the uneven road surface. Had to be extra careful at slow speed.

Second CT was a Michelin Alpin which was more like a MC tire, but still more effort to enter a turn etc, etc. I liked the Alpin better than the Pirelli and if I spent all of my time on the slab, I would probably still be running one.

But after those two tires, I went back to a set of Stones and had forgotten just how smooth and easy to roll into and through tight turns a MC tire was, or to hold a line around a big sweeper at 60 plus mph. When it came time to replace them, I replaced them with another set of Bridgestones. For me, I just want the superior handling a MC tire gives me because I do a lot of my riding around Maggie Valley in the twisties and I just like a MC tire better.

Now I am on a 2018 DCT which is so much more like a sport bike, I don’t want to lose ANY of the “flickability” a MC tire gives me. My bike came with Dunlop’s on it and I have almost 6k miles on it now. Probably go to stones when she needs new tires.

A car tire may arguably be safer and cheaper but I ride my bike to have fun and for me.....it is more fun on a MT!

Life is full of choices......

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes,and the pads and rotors to go with them. Would rather be soother and a little s[ower. But occasionally ride abusive when the need arises.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Never have I seen a car tire on any road race bike, like World Superbike Races or Gp Moto series. They know that motorcycle tires handle better. It's not about who gets the most millage, it's about handling. And better handling, equals safer.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I won't go back. They don't handle near as good as the motorcycle tire though, that is for sure. If you enjoy riding twisty roads and feel handling is utmost importance, the car tire is not a great choice as the edges will wear out and you have a worn out tire. I read the guys that say they wear out a car tire in 3,000 miles, these guys should just run motorcycle tires and get better handling. However, if you are the type of rider that may enjoy twisty roads, but don't care if you can keep up with roadrace crowd, the car tire works pretty well. I do this, but my main use for a GL1800 is interstate travel 2-up. I enjoy the extra life, which is 3 or 4x a Bridgestone 704, but that is not my main thought. I enjoy riding knowing that rear tire is never going to overheat and blow out at 80mph. Nobody can say never, but likelyhood is near zero vs the motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I think it was my third set of motorcycle tires when I tries a set of E-3s. I liked them fine for several thousand miles, then they began cupping and getting really LOUD, especially in corners.
So, when they were ready to be replaced, I explored the Darkside options.

My first DS tire was a Kumho. Pretty square profile, stiff and solid. It was one of the more ‘popular’ RFs at the time and I soon found out why.
After scrubbing it in and becoming accustomed to the differences in handling characteristics from the MT, I decided to find out how it handled in the twisted and headed down to Palomar mountain. As I ascended South Grade’s switchbacks I began to grin. Yeah, it took a bit more pressure on the bars to tip in to a turn. Yeah, it would gladly stand up if you let it. (This characteristic changed the concept of “flicking” but didn’t take long to become part of “muscle memory”.) I grinned and decided that I’d made a good choice.
I was sad when it began to approach the end of it’s tread life - we enjoyed many adventures together, including my first Iron Butt Association CERT. ride. The majority of my miles are interstate riding so the tread wear was pretty even across the tire.

I think my next DS was a Michelin Alpin. It has rounder shoulders so the transition at turn-in is a bit less pronounced. Great tread pattern, traction, handling, etc., and - like any RF - it’s nice to not worry about the remote possibility of a sudden pressure loss event. More memories, SS1k rides, and pie-runs with my bride on the back.

Fast forward to this summer. It was time for a 3,000 mile road trip and I wanted to start on fresh rubber. I decided to give another tire a try, this time a MT: ‘stone G702.
It’s not the size spec’d for the Wing - slightly larger diameter corrects the speedo to match the Garmin EXACTLY and drops the RPMs at Hwy speed by about 400. Loved everything about it.

So what’s my opinion?
Follow your bliss!
I don’t need to be “right” and no one else needs to be “wrong”.

Do I have a preference? Yes.
I prefer to ride and let ride.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My bike came with a car tire. I didn't like the handling. Put the Bridgestones on and it ridesw so much better.

·
Registered
634 Posts
--

I've been following the Darksider theme for some years now and have several thoughts:

1. Ct’s and mt’s each handle differently. Some more than others.

2. There are few I should think that will say the ct rides better in the twisties, it doesn't.

3. Everyone will get more miles on their ct tread than with a mt. They will.

4. A ct run at low pressure is a much softer ride than a mt at higher pressure. Always.

5. Ct's are usually cheaper than mt's. Usually.

6. Conservative riders get much better mileage out of all tires than aggressive riders. Always.

7. Finding a place that will mount a ct without hassle is usually difficult. Unless you do your own.

8. Most Darksiders get used to the tracking, cornering, and tilting difference in their ct but are willing to live with it.

9. Ct's have better load carrying capacity. Sometimes important.

But what you have is that everyone rides for more satisfaction in one area than the next rider may. It could be safety, initial cost, capacity, ride comfort, longevity, availability, tire appearance, belief in OEM suggestions, experience, insurance fears, or just habit. Even staunch Darksiders don't all choose for the same reasons. :nerd:

--

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Never have I seen a car tire on any road race bike, like World Superbike Races or Gp Moto series. They know that motorcycle tires handle better. It's not about who gets the most millage, it's about handling. And better handling, equals safer.

Never seen a Bridgestone Driveguard on a Nascar race car, and never seen a Bridgestone 709 or 704 on a Superbike. So what's your point?

·
Registered
634 Posts
--

Maybe you didn't get the memo and are therefore mis-informed. Ct's are never suggested for race bikes, or off roaders and such. What we are discussing is a substitute tire for LARGE CRUISERS and TOURING BIKES. What Darksiders try to get is something that will perform better for the needs of that type of bike for that type of rider. Only.

--

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
While I sure understand the inclination to defend darksiding in this thread, I don't think it belongs. The OP wanted to hear from those that had been there and came back and their reasons. Seems like a fair enough question and while this certainly leads to a misleading read it is what he was after.

A poll would definitely give a fairer representation.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Never seen a Dunlop Driveguard on a Nascar race car, and never seen a Bridgestone 709 or 704 on a Superbike. So what's your point?
My point is obvious. Nascar does not use motorcycle tires, and Super bike racers use motorcycle tires, not car tires. I did not specify the model they use.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts