GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience on going to the dark-side.

BACKGROUND:
Bought my first Goldwing last May. A new 2008 leftover from the good people at Sunrise Honda in Searcy AR. Flew out there, picked it up and rode it home to New York. Put over 8000 miles on the OEM Dunlops last year with no problems. Ran front and back @41psi. The bike has exceeded all my expectations.

This year I planned a trip out west and was concerned about riding two up, fully loaded, at a high speed cruise in the hot Arizona desert. The thought of being stranded with a rear flat in the middle of no where motivated me to investigate the dark-side.

THE FIRST STEP:
I read all the posts, including the opposing positions. I thank everyone for the information,even the dissenting viewpoints.
Decided on:
Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 @32psi
Bridgestone G709 @36psi
Doran 360M TPMS

Drove it around the block a few times to make sure I wouldn't crash and burn. Noticed right away the tire was quieter and ran smoother over the bad roads here in NY. Initially, it also seemed a little harder to lean under 5MPH, but got used to it right away. No problem transitioning into a turn or cornering hard.

THE TRIP:
Fully loaded 2-up.
Covered 9620 miles in 25 days.
24 States,2 Canadian Provinces.
16 national parks/monuments, uncountable national forests and scenic byways.
Ambient air temperatures ranged from 43F to 105F

SOME CONDITIONS ENCOUNTED:
heavy cold rain in Canada near Columbia ice fields;
10 miles new thick gravel in Yellowstone;
30 ft width rock-slide of golf ball size sharp rock in Glacier national park;
1/2 in thick mud on new road construction Canada;
up Moki Dugway in Utah;
newly oiled/graveled road surface in Colorado;
dirt/gravel roads in Black Hills of South Dakota;
extended cruise speed 98MPH on I70 in Kansas for over 1 hour in temperatures over 100F;

MY CONCLUSIONS:
Only tire to run on. The Force is strong.
-tom

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
:congrats: on Darkside and first post on this forum . Since you have spent much time reading prior ,Darkside Cookies is already known to ya. :thumbup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
My experience on going to the dark-side.

BACKGROUND:
Bought my first Goldwing last May. A new 2008 leftover from the good people at Sunrise Honda in Searcy AR. Flew out there, picked it up and rode it home to New York. Put over 8000 miles on the OEM Dunlops last year with no problems. Ran front and back @41psi. The bike has exceeded all my expectations.

This year I planned a trip out west and was concerned about riding two up, fully loaded, at a high speed cruise in the hot Arizona desert. The thought of being stranded with a rear flat in the middle of no where motivated me to investigate the dark-side.

THE FIRST STEP:
I read all the posts, including the opposing positions. I thank everyone for the information,even the dissenting viewpoints.
Decided on:
Kumho ECSTA RF 195/55/16 @32psi
Bridgestone G709 @36psi
Doran 360M TPMS

Drove it around the block a few times to make sure I wouldn't crash and burn. Noticed right away the tire was quieter and ran smoother over the bad roads here in NY. Initially, it also seemed a little harder to lean under 5MPH, but got used to it right away. No problem transitioning into a turn or cornering hard.

THE TRIP:
Fully loaded 2-up.
Covered 9620 miles in 25 days.
24 States,2 Canadian Provinces.
16 national parks/monuments, uncountable national forests and scenic byways.
Ambient air temperatures ranged from 43F to 105F

SOME CONDITIONS ENCOUNTED:
heavy cold rain in Canada near Columbia ice fields;
10 miles new thick gravel in Yellowstone;
30 ft width rock-slide of golf ball size sharp rock in Glacier national park;
1/2 in thick mud on new road construction Canada;
up Moki Dugway in Utah;
newly oiled/graveled road surface in Colorado;
dirt/gravel roads in Black Hills of South Dakota;
extended cruise speed 98MPH on I70 in Kansas for over 1 hour in temperatures over 100F;

MY CONCLUSIONS:
Only tire to run on. The Force is strong.
-tom
Great write up. Welcome to the darkside

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like an awesome trip. Welcome to the forum and the Darkside!:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the Darkside!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
315 Posts
ct

same here, i have run a ct since 2007 on my 06, my riding buddy was on the fence on ct's, we done a 50cc in june, toatl miles 5200, when we went through the monutains in southern cali, my buddy stated he just thought about the ct and how it would work in the monutains, he was inpressed i think he is hooked:popcorn: :doorag:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Great writeup. Sounds like you proved for yourself how the CT excels in every scenario over a motto sneaker.

I'd like to have a dollar for every time you thought to yourself, "Man, sure am glad I have this CT".

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great read
Kinda reminds me of an add I heard once. Never leave home without it.
and thats the Rest of the story. Tryed and true.:thumbup:

I'm a believer Beaver.

David
HondaMortch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts