GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday night I found myself on Angeles Crest Highway WELL after dark. About 9 PM. It was not an optimal situation. My cell phone was about 65% dead and I was all alone. I was riding West to East.

I had a Pirelli Eufori on the read and it was a new moon. The road was in great shape and there was literally no traffic. From the 3,0000 foot elevation sign all the way to Wrightwood I saw ONE vehicle, a fire truck.

From the tunnels on the road had a lot of asphalt debris.

So I took it easy and I had a spectacular ride.

Because I have become unemployed again my riding has become sporadic at best and therapeutic. So I was riding along and think about getting rid of my Pirelli (17,000 miles on it) and going back to Bridgedstone. My reasons are a lack of time to enjoy touring rides, my wife does not enjoy riding with me, very little need to commute since I work at home, etc.

At no time did the performance of the Pirelli ever give me any reason to make me want to change.

I got home about midnight and Tuesday morning I got up and this is what I found.

Now this tire was not ridden hard, it was not flat and it was not abused.

I should have looked at it before going out that night. I t was not completely flat either. It did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do. It kept me upright and got me safely home without an incident.

It was replaced with a Kumho this afternoon. Why a Kumho? Because the soonest I can get a Pirelli is 60 days from now.

If any of you have any questions feel free to ask. I will answer any questions. I will even offer to talk to you on the phone. If you get out of line I will say so. BUt I will say this. I will NEVER go back to a round motorcycle tire on my Goldwing until you can demonstrate to me that they can hold up to this. I don't care what some guy hiding behind a screen in MCN says.

If you have ever been on ACH, and realize that one bad move could mean a 600 foot fall of no return (it happens ALL the time) and this tire saved me from myself, well, let's just say that I am sold.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Let me put it this way, You got your moneys worth out of it!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't even make it down to the wear bars!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Glad you made it home safely.

I wonder what caused the tire to separate that way.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Looks like it went flat and the heat of riding it that way made it seperate.

The seperation looks like it is in line with the rim.

Just an opinion.

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
thats why there called run flats not done flats thats y we got um glad it worked out for you

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Darkside failure or success ??? Both
1. Tires need to be checked for condition more often. Stiff sidewalls on run flats and corners will produce this if worn past tread depth.
2. Run flat did what is is supposed to do run flat :thumbup:
I gotta tell ya pix like that scare me. Please bend over and look at tire for at least your safety. :thumbup: Maybe more air pressure would make for more even wear on that tire for ya : 2 psi does wonders in wear .

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'll will resist temptation here to preach RF here over Non RF.

I will also resist speculating how it got like that.

The point is that he got home safely. Glad he did.

Just further cements my choice: A RF only for my 1800. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I'll will resist temptation here to preach RF here over Non RF.
Little steps Paul are the easiest :thumbup::lol: breath in breath out :twisted: I agree tire did what it was supposed to do run flat :thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm a newby at the Darkside and I'm running a NRF right now. I'm glad it got you home safely. Kind of makes me think I'll try a RF next time...

My only suggestion is try to make more right turns... :coffee1:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
That tire was used up when it gets "near" the wear bars..
I take my tire off when it looks lik this.

The only time I have made the edge wear off like that is when I'm having to much fun when it's near the wear bars.

Just like a MT a BMT will wear faster when it's rubber is almost gone.Knowing this I try and change it before I show the edge like this.

Same tire,just showing the tread view.

You were just having to much fun and didn't catch yours soon enough that's all..lol

Lets see how you like the Kumho and what mileage you get out of that one?? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
2 things

2 things my friend ---

1st - very glad you made it home safe :nojoke:

2nd - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=44456&str=0

With METAL valve stems !!!

I know money is tight for you right now, but how much money will you have if you're no longer vertical?

Safe riding friend.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Impressive! Glad you made it home. I also change my tires before they our down to the wear bar on Car or Bike. I've seen braking test on wet roads and how much longer it takes to stop when tires or nearing the wear bars, it's scary. :coffee1:

I had a S10 pickup pull out in front of me yesterday. The scary part was not that he pulled out it was the trailer he was towing. The planking was rotted and loose. He hit a few small bumps and the planking raised up and when it came down pieces of it were flying every where. I passed him in a parking lane just to get away from him. Why would anyone tow something like this. :22yikes:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Glad you made it home...tire did what it is designed for.....but....

I think the reason for this situation is: operating the tire way out of the design altitude parameter..."From the 3,0000 foot elevation sign all the way " These tires are just not made to operate at 30,000 ft, plus and the oxygen gear/weight you had to have on board. :joke:

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
dang - might be right

Psssst.Go back and look at the first pcture REAL close...lol :shrug:
Dang Rocky, you might be right there :tongue::bow:

In that case, I ammend my earlier post to read "And put some good batteries in your TPMS !!! And mount it where you can see it".

As usual, can't put much past Rocky. :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's posts like this that led me to chose the Kumho run flat as my first Dark Side tire. I will keep researching and reading, thanks to all of you, on what will be the next Dark Side (if I leave the Kumho, so far it's been great). :bow:

Oh, congrats on making it home safe. :congrats:

Kick stand down as many times as it goes up. (my riders prayer).

And yeah, Rocky don't miss much!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Lynn, glad you made it home ok.

There are many good responses here from folks whose opinion I respect. So, I will accept the idea that LD's tire damage occurred because it was run too close to the wear bars.

However, I have had slightly different results and would like to see some input on that as well. Once I wore off more of one of my Kumhos than I expected during a DS ride-in. I was actually worried I may have trouble making it home. When I got home I had 1/32 of tread left on the tire (i.e., I had eaten up 1/32 of the wear bars). Yet, I had no detectable, premature wear on the sides, as LD did, and certainly no cord showing. I am a lightweight @ 150 pounds and almost always carry very little as far as load (with the exception of 35 pounds of tools).

Further comment on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts