GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just don't have enough experience to make a safe decision so I'm asking for comments. My wife has a Honda Sabre, 1100 that will need tires within the next 3-4 thousand miles. I'm thinking about whether it would be possible and safe to Dark Side it.

For those of you that are familiar with the 1100, you know the bike has a tendency to dive into a curve, particularly at low speed. I'm thinking that the self righting action of a CT might just help in that situation. Also, she and I had a blowout on the first bike we ever owned..back in 1966 and I don't want her to have to fight one, so, if you think a CT would work on the 1100, I may do a $100 experiment on the back tire. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Not sure what size wheel is on the back of the Sabre but I am currently running a Dunnie wintersport 175/60/16 on the back of a Shadow 1100 Ace Tourer. Works great and the best tire I have run on it. No problems whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Guys, I just don't have enough experience to make a safe decision so I'm asking for comments. My wife has a Honda Sabre, 1100 that will need tires within the next 3-4 thousand miles. I'm thinking about whether it would be possible and safe to Dark Side it.

For those of you that are familiar with the 1100, you know the bike has a tendency to dive into a curve, particularly at low speed. I'm thinking that the self righting action of a CT might just help in that situation. Also, she and I had a blowout on the first bike we ever owned..back in 1966 and I don't want her to have to fight one, so, if you think a CT would work on the 1100, I may do a $100 experiment on the back tire. :shrug:
A car tire will help that dive problem, sadly no run flats are going tomtit in there for her. I would suggest a LRR tire with thicker sidewalls would be a better choice if it where my wife. See forum mentioned above for tire size. If not pm me and I will tell ya what size is being run on there :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
GolDon, I have an 1100 Sabre my son rides. At one point I considered DSing it. However, after reviewing some info (rim witdth, tires sizes) and consulting with some of the DSers here, I decided against it. Obviously I wouldn't criticize one for doing it, I just decided not to. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think the Sabre has a 15" rear wheel like the VTX1300C. (170/80/15)
My shadow ACE has a 16" rear wheel and tires for it were not quite so hard to find (although the rim is NOT as wide as a Wing wheel and tire choices are a little more limited due to that.

If the Sabre has the 15" wheel it will be a little tougher. Have a VTX1300C with the same size stock tire (170/80/15) and have darksided it with a Federal 165/80/15 CT. Happy with the results thus far. The 165/80/15 is basically the old VW bug tire and getting a little harder to find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts